Do you guys run a "frankenblend"

I do at times... Like yourself there are times where I just use up anything I have extras of and use it. The Camry seems to get that a fair amount of the time.

I have made a blend of Warren Oil in the Camry right now... 2 qts of Lubrigold and 1.5 qts of Coastal synthetic blend 5w30... The 98 Camry runs very quiet on this combo.

Hope you have been doing good Capt..

When doing an oil change no, it's all the same. If it requires a top off, it's getting whatever is laying around or whatever is at the gas station (usually pennzoil here).

Originally Posted by CR94
Does it count if I combine some of the latest PP I bought with the remainder of the previous container of same-grade PP I bought typically 8 or so months earlier, considering the list of standards it meets keeps changing?

I'd say that counts
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
I do at times... Like yourself there are times where I just use up anything I have extras of and use it. The Camry seems to get that a fair amount of the time.

I have made a blend of Warren Oil in the Camry right now... 2 qts of Lubrigold and 1.5 qts of Coastal synthetic blend 5w30... The 98 Camry runs very quiet on this combo.

Hope you have been doing good Capt..

Yeah, I'm doing well. Was a balmy 19F this morning.

Soon, I'll put a Franken brew of DELO XLE 10W30 from October 2014 mixed with HK High Mileage 5w20 in the Camry or some Valvoline advanced Syn high mileage 5w20 straight up in the Camry

Yes, but I've only been doing it since 1967, so it's probably too soon to know whether I may experience any premature wear or other untoward consequences.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by CR94
Does it count if I combine some of the latest PP I bought with the remainder of the previous container of same-grade PP I bought typically 8 or so months earlier, considering the list of standards it meets keeps changing?
I'd say that counts
smile.gif

I guess that could be debated either way. My real point was that it's difficult to avoid that sort of mixing, unless you start by buying up a large stash of oil that will be obsolete long before you use it up, or the amount of oil your engine requires per change (including make-up, if needed) is exactly 5 quarts.

I use 4.4 of the 5 each time, so the amount left over grows by 0.6 quart. After 8 changes, I should hypothetically have enough accumulated for a change without buying more.

Originally Posted by Kira
Only to finish off leftovers.

NOTE: The mixture of synthetic 5W30's I used for my first oil change in my 15 year old Ford Ranger -it's 16th oil change- quieted the engine TREMENDOUSLY.

There is no way the effect was psychosomatic. Also, the Hastings filter eliminated start-up clatter COMPLETELY.

Sorry if this upsets anyone.

Mixing is blasphemy!...‚...‚

Ok, for realz..I have an old Ranger like you that I dump in whatever I've got laying around.. the trucks seen better days and burns oil so I'm not concerned about mixing. Otherwise, no. I don't mix, if I can avoid it, for my daily driver.

Last edited:
Yes I've done it. Different brands of 5W-20 and 5W-30 usually one or two different brands at once. I normally don't keep a lot of spare quarts around. I use them up or put them in my OPE.

Currently my Caravan has 5 liters of 0w-20 PU and 3/4 of a Liter of PP 5w-30. Up in the great white north buying 1 Liter bottles is a rip off.

I have a jug that gets whatever is left in other jugs/qts. Some 10w30 but mostly 5w30. It's my top off, it has 3 + qts in it now. When it's full it'll go in our Traverse. I've frankenblend'ed a lot over the years to use qts up.

No, I am too much of a perfectionist to do that. I always keep a quart extra of whatever I put in just in case.

Originally Posted by BLND1
No, I am too much of a perfectionist to do that. I always keep a quart extra of whatever I put in just in case.

11.gif

This is me as well.

I do on occasion. Usually to use up extra qts here and there, and when I top off I do sometimes use different oil.
Different brands, different weights, even have used some "used" oil for top offs on occasion.

I only 'frankenblend' for my motorcycles..... I love a semi-synthetic in shared sump engines on motorcycles.

So, I mix T6 Rotella 15w40 Synthetic with T4 Rotella 15w40 Conventional..... 50/50.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I do on occasion. Usually to use up extra qts here and there, and when I top off I do sometimes use different oil.
Different brands, different weights, even have used some "used" oil for top offs on occasion.

this for sure
have car well over 400k thats taken every frankenbrew imagineable, car is still running strong

just change oil on a timely basis, always keep if topped off if it uses any

Originally Posted by dave1251
The last OC on the Focus I used like 5 different brands and grades.

You are quite the rebel dave1251
lol.gif

We need that song from Judas Priest playing in the background.. "breaking the law"....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by BLND1

11.gif

This is me as well.

+2

Back