Do you ever get tired of watching Russians drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Every once in a while I'll watch one, I think its a good reminder not to be in a hurry, and hopefully it helps me identify when things could go bad. Also it makes me glad impaired driving is relatively rare here...

Rare? You can't be serious??
21.gif

Not sure where abouts you live in Ontario, but it's certainly not rare in my neck of the woods in and around the GTA.
What about distracted driving, is that also "rare"?

Between the 2, which are comparably the same, I imagine the death toll for those is above 70-80%.
https://www.inbrampton.com/multiple-people-arrested-during-first-weekend-of-impaired-driving-blitz
http://ottawasun.com/2017/10/10/police-t...4b-e0d7de79c633
https://www.insauga.com/hundreds-of-impaired-driving-charges-laid-in-opp-festive-ride
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/opp-charge-610-with-impaired-driving-over-holiday-season
http://www.680news.com/2017/08/30/distracting-driving-causing-crashes-speed-impairment-opp/
"
Crashes involving alcohol and/or drugs are a leading criminal cause of death in Canada. On average, approximately 4 people are killed each day in crashes involving alcohol and/or drugs. In 2013, there were a total of 2,430 crash deaths on public roads, involving at least one highway vehicle (e.g. passenger cars, vans, trucks, or motorcycles). Based on testing of fatally-injured drivers, it may be estimated that 1,451 (59.7%) of these deaths involved drivers who had some alcohol and/or drugs in their system.

369 deaths, or 15.2%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for alcohol alone.
683 deaths, or 28.1%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for drugs alone.
399 deaths, or 16.4%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for both alcohol and drugs.
The statistics reflect the growing incidence of driving after drug use, which now exceeds that for driving after alcohol use. Cannabis, the most commonly-found drug, is present in almost half of the drug-positive fatal crashes.

It must be emphasized that the figures document the presence of alcohol and/or drugs and not whether the driver was legally impaired. While research indicates that most of the alcohol-positive drivers were likely impaired or very impaired, there is no comparable information on the drug-positive drivers.

It should also be noted that these figures do not include total, or alcohol and/or drug-related, fatalities, occurring in crashes off of a public road. Nor do the figures include crash deaths involving only ATVs, snowmobiles, farm tractors, and other non-highway vehicles.

For more information, including provincial and territorial breakdowns of the above statistics and information on the data sources, please see:

The Presence of Alcohol and/or Drugs in Motor Vehicle Fatalities, by Jurisdiction: Canada, 2013 (November 2017)
Cannabis and Other Drugs Among Fatally-injured Drivers of Highway Vehicles: Canada, 2013 (November 15, 2017)

Originally Posted By: irv
Not sure where abouts you live in Ontario, but it's certainly not rare in my neck of the woods in and around the GTA.

I guess it depends what you call rare. In comparison to this province, it is rare.
wink.gif

My first trip there … was surprised to see the steering wheel side was random … we had big diesel TLC’s and drivers on the correct side … but no big deal for the average Sergey …

Decades ago in high school driver's ed they used to show gruesome accident movies for the shock effect. I wonder if these modern day videos are, or would be effective also? What really sucks is when you have no control whatsoever in what someone else does, no matter how well you drive defensively.

Everyone have a safe New Year's Eve.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Every once in a while I'll watch one, I think its a good reminder not to be in a hurry, and hopefully it helps me identify when things could go bad. Also it makes me glad impaired driving is relatively rare here...

Here in Colorado accidents happen because:
1. Texting. Much more then impaired driving.
2. Slow driving. Indecisiveness of drivers. They do not understand elementary laws of physics. I almost rear ended guy who drove 10mph below speed limit (I guess to be safe driver), was about to make right turn on green, started turn, and then when yellow turned, he stopped in the middle of the turn. This happens regularly with Toyota and Subaru drivers (nothing against them, but most have no idea what they doing) and I understand that there are few Toyota and Subaru drivers that know what they doing. This was Subaru Outback.
3. They think AWD is magical solution to the anything wet or slippery.

I'd rather watch the USA and Canada videos, they are a lot more interesting. All of the Russian videos just consist of a vague number of Ladas crashing into each other. Do they even sell another kind of car there?

I will say there was a really good one where a cell phone user hits another driver and the driver gets out and takes their cell phone and smashes it on the ground. Classic.
grin.gif

369 deaths, or 15.2%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for alcohol alone.
683 deaths, or 28.1%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for drugs alone.
399 deaths, or 16.4%, occurred in crashes involving drivers who were positive for both alcohol and drugs.

Not the best thing to support your case... these three statistics basically say you're twice as safe while drinking and driving than when finishing up a fatty and going for a spin.

I saw another similar "scare" statistic last night on Live PD- in Arizona, 29% of fatal crashes involve alcohol. But 71% do not... so you're 59% safer driving drunk rather than sober in Arizona.

To me, this is not a place where using statistics makes sense unless the actual number is greater than 50%, because for people that read the statistics, these show you're less likely to die in a wreck than if you're sober.

Don't get mad at me... they're your statistics.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd rather watch the USA and Canada videos, they are a lot more interesting. All of the Russian videos just consist of a vague number of Ladas crashing into each other. Do they even sell another kind of car there?

The only thing that bugs me about the North American compilations are they often include a lot of really vanilla near misses, like a guy just leaving a parking lot fairly quickly, or a guy getting "cut off" by a car length, and leaning on his horn out of unnecessary frustration, or someone taking a late yellow with no one else around. I see that every day of the week. I don't need it in a dash cam compilation.

Looks a lot like Austin, Tx drivers:
  • In the right lane, missed that left turn, so I'll just hard left...across three lanes of traffic.
  • In the left lane, missed that right turn, so I'll just hard right...across three lanes of traffic.
  • "Train? What Train?".....WHAM!
  • "I'll wait until you get close (traveling 60mph), then pull out in front of you. Deal with it. I'm impatient."
  • Attempting to tailgate & txt....WHAM!
  • "I just paid $60,000 for this AWD Euro-SUV. It should have forded that flooded low-water-crossing! I want my money back...."
  • "I can't be bothered with driving right now, I'm on the phone, having an argument with my kid ...." WHAM!
  • Oil? What oil? I don't have time for no stinking oil...."
  • "Yeah, my lane ended. So what? Move over. NOW!"
  • "I. Can't. Miss. My. Turn.........WHAM!"
  • "Why wait at the end of the line? I'll just cut in front of you."
  • "Those cables should have prevented me from driving off the 5th floor of the parking garage! I'm calling my lawyer!"

Rare? You can't be serious??
Crashes involving alcohol and/or drugs are a leading criminal cause of death in Canada. On average, approximately 4 people are killed each day in crashes involving alcohol and/or drugs. In 2013, there were a total of 2,430 crash deaths on public roads, involving at least one highway vehicle (e.g. passenger cars, vans, trucks, or motorcycles). Based on testing of fatally-injured drivers, it may be estimated that 1,451 (59.7%) of these deaths involved drivers who had some alcohol and/or drugs in their system.

The USA plays this game, too. "Alcohol-related" collisions or "Alcohol-related" deaths.

I don't give a spit about "alcohol-related" unless the BAC is over 0.12 or so, AND it's the driver(s) that are impaired.

The way "alcohol-related" works, is if a pedestrian has been drinking, jumps out in front of traffic, and causes a seven-car pileup of sober drivers, with five deaths, it'll be reported as "alcohol-related" and everyone will assume that one or more of the drivers was impaired.

Or someone had one beer two hours ago, is at some inconsequential BAC...but anything more than 0.00 is "alcohol-related" so the statistics get inflated.

"Alcohol-related" is a way to make drinking/driving seem far worse than it actually is. It's a propaganda tactic...in other words, it's a way to lie with statistics.

REAL impairment typically starts around 0.15, so a law making it criminal at 0.08 is insane. They can call it "impaired" but it isn't.

Last edited:
I dare say millions of Russians manage to drive sober, safely, and arrive at their destinations unscathed. Won't get many You Tube hits though.
I think the most dangerous roads in the world are in India. But I welcome being corrected if I'm wrong.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schurkey
REAL impairment typically starts around 0.15, so a law making it criminal at 0.08 is insane. They can call it "impaired" but it isn't.

Got data? I recall it used to be 0.10 but then was rolled back to 0.08. Presumably on data but I didn't pay attention. The fount of wisdom that is wikipedia indicates impairment of reasoning & depth perception in the 0.06 to 0.01 range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back