Do you care if your engine compartment is clean?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'd bet if you ask guys like Cline who makes his living working on cars and trucks
I bet he appreciates a customer who keeps an engine bay clean
Makes his job somewhat easier

Only car enthusiast keep the underhood of their vehicles clean, Used car lots like to put some kind of greasy "Shine" crap all over & man does it collect dust/dirt!
What really gets on my nerves & likely make me decline to even work on a car.....Letting leaks go so long that there's a giant mess. Had a 2004 Lexus ES330 came in last week with a power steering leak, You could tell he was adding fluid (Sticky.Nasty Lucas stop leak of all things) for a couple years. The Rack Isolators, Sway Bar Bushings, Rear Subframe Bushings, Rear Motor Mount, Even the Exhaust Hangers were all trashed.....Near liquefied from the long term exposure to ATF/Stop Leak!
I politely bowed out of even touching with a 10 foot pole! He was not very happy.

I like to keep my engine bays clean....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I wipe things down with appropriate detailing products, but I'm a big nope as far as spraying water under the hood.

Just went and popped the hood on the Genesis. I've had it for 4 months now, haven't cleaned it since the dealer did. Pretty surprised, although we get our dust storms in the summer, so it'll get much dustier.

[Linked Image]

None of these have ever been hosed down just wiped with spray cleaners and damp cloths, a little VLR let dry and buff off so its not sticky on the plastic and rubber. No leaks or buildup. These are gone now but they were all decent engines even the N* once I put head studs in it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
How do you clean it safely?

Pros use plastic to cover sensitive electrical areas and AVOID using high pressure water directed at those areas. It can be done pretty safely, but there is always a chance you make a mistake and you still end up with trouble, and it might not even rear its head until days later when the water with slick soap migrates through wiring and gets past seals over time after water is applied. This does happen.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
How do you clean it safely?

I use a pressure washer with a 40 degree nozzle and don't "hone in"...broad strokes with the tip a few feet away. Don't focus on anything electrical, and I personally don't mess with any soaps or degreasers, just water. Newer vehicles besides all you're cleaning is the plastic covers anyways.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech

Electrical connectors are weather sealed. In the shop we shampoo and pressure wash engines every day. Never an issue, just avoid the alternator.

I'm going on 25 years cleaning the engine compartment in the E36/5. Never had an issue.

My engine bays are what I would consider clean. I don't spray them down with water and cleaner, but underhood surfaces get wiped down with a damp cloth after I use compressed air to blow out the nooks and crannies. I do this everytime I detail our vehicles, which is quite often.

Last edited:
All my vehicles have clean engines. I wash them with the hose when the need it. I mix up a solution of Dawn in a spray bottle as a mild cleaner. Once cleaned I start up the motor and let it run for about 5-10 minutes. I will then wipe down areas after it cools. I also detail the undercarriage when it needs it with Fluid Film. I can't stand working on a dirty vehicle.

Not really. If it was soaking in oil that might be annoying, but I've found that they don't stay drenched for long. Yeah cleaner is nicer but... working on cars means I always have to clean up afterwards.

I've only washed under the hood a couple of times but never had an issue. The connectors are sealed as they get quite wet when driving in the rain. But I don't use a pressure washer up close.

I live in a dusty desert. I just wipe down the compartment once a year. It's not perfect but I rather change fluids or drive a trail than get an engine compartment inspection ready.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I live in a dusty desert. I just wipe down the compartment once a year. It's not perfect but I rather change fluids or drive a trail than get an engine compartment inspection ready.

I hear ya, I lived in Mesa in the late 90's and 2000. If someone were trying to keep an engine bay sparkling clean and dust free out there, they'd go mad. That's where I developed the habit of blowing out nooks and crannies with compressed air followed by wiping down the rest.

Originally Posted by supton
Not really. If it was soaking in oil that might be annoying, but I've found that they don't stay drenched for long. Yeah cleaner is nicer but... working on cars means I always have to clean up afterwards.

I've only washed under the hood a couple of times but never had an issue. The connectors are sealed as they get quite wet when driving in the rain. But I don't use a pressure washer up close.

When I started in this business there was no such thing as sealed connectors, at best there was a rubber cap on the main starter and alternator/generator cables so it was a real risk washing the engine with a hose. It just stuck with me over the years.

Actually, today I went out and power washed (40° tip) in the mustang engine compartment to clean the topside of the K member. I was very cautious of where I sprayed but it did a fantastic job along with some foaming degreaser and a bottle brush.

I'll wash them occasionally (simple green and a garden hose, no pressure washing) just to keep them somewhat decent. I really hate working on stuff with a bunch of mud and dirt falling in my face.

Back