Do we trust Purolator again now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Not me. I don't trust the brand anymore.

Amen!

Wix mid-tier (current design) and either the Fram EGs or TGs. I find the Ultras as built-too-restrictive, on my older model GMs.

so what your choice of filter now, seem like every good filter having some kind of problem.

Originally Posted By: MParr
From all of my research, the Purolator One has a fairly restrictive flow across the media.

For the record, the PureOne wasn't very flow restrictive - that's an old false rumor all over the 'net. Having a 4 PSI pressure drop at 10 GPM with hot oil is pretty free flowing IMO. That means just cruising down the road at 2000 RPM would be more around a 1~2 PSI pressure drop in most vehicles.

Flow vs PSID data from Purolator for a PL14006

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: CR94
How 'bout their cartridges? I ran a "Classic" L16311 about 9000 miles, nearly all in warm weather. Despite my doubts, it apparently did OK. It was 2012 vintage, constructed more like the current Pure 1 version than today's "Classic" L16311 (which is the end-capless type, like Toyota, Denso, and K&N).

I doubt they make their carts or that they have the same media as the cans.
The 2012 ones (which I bought cheap at a going-out-of-business Kmart in late 2014) I have bear a Fayetteville date code. Their media paper (and only the paper) looks amazingly similar to that of the Chinese Fram Tough Guard I bought early this year. You might be correct about the newer "Classic" L16311, which is very differently constructed.

Nothing's changed. Still tearing media and ADBV's, and now they use louvered center tubes that often times are barely open or closed completely. I'd run a Fram OCOD 20k miles before I'd run a Purolator anything for 3k.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: CR94
How 'bout their cartridges? ...
Cartridges are fine. I’ve been using them for years in the FIL’s Lexus RX350. Never an issue. The glue that keeps the media together is quite sloppy, but it’s only cosmetic. ...
Thanks! One possible issue I see with my 2012 L16311s is that the cartridge is skewed noticeably. That is, although the end caps are reasonably parallel, if you place the filter on one end on a horizontal flat surface, then the top end cap is not exactly directly above the bottom one. The center holes of the end caps have generous clearance on the the center tube, which I hope allows the ends to shift off-center enough to avoid bypassing oil around the ends despite the skewed geometry.

The other concern with these is that the inner "diameter" of the media pack leaves a lot of radial clearance to the center tube. Therefore, the media is effectively not supported by the center tube of the cap (unlike equivalent Toyota filters).

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Not me. I don't trust the brand anymore.

Amen!

Wix mid-tier (current design) and either the Fram EGs or TGs. I find the Ultras as built-too-restrictive, on my older model GMs.

so what your choice of filter now, seem like every good filter having some kind of problem.

My choices : either Wix or Carquest Blue filters made either by Wix or Frampion if I'm not looking for base-end bypass. The Wix filters for my household's applications all have dome end bypass. If I want base end bypass I choose Mopar filters. I have run combo valve filters in both ecore design and NAPA Proselect design in the past and don't care to use / purchase them.

Do they make Bosch DP. Thought I heard that so cut one open (clearance filter) to get a bigger filter on the mower when switching to 15w40. It seemed a bit stronger than Puro or MC … the shocker was how flimsy the $10 B&S filter was … all this blah blah about built for air cooling and high flow. Black ADV?

Wound up putting a Fram TG3614 on (also clearance item)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Do they make Bosch DP. Thought I heard that so cut one open (clearance filter) to get a bigger filter on the mower when switching to 15w40. It seemed a bit stronger than Puro or MC … the shocker was how flimsy the $10 B&S filter was … all this blah blah about built for air cooling and high flow. Black ADV?...

Yup, the D+ was/is made by Purolator, but seem to be to a higher standard than most other Puro made filters. Media seems thicker and overall quality seems better (except for the louver problem, I passed on 1/2 the clearance Bosch D+ at Walmart due to poorly opened louvers).

I'm using Bosch right now. Have used Purolator L10111 in my 2005 impala but it's hard to find it.. Maybe it's me but the bosch seems to make the engine quieter. Not a napa fan of oil filters. Maybe gm version,maybe. Q/S oil or Shell but I prefer QS oil.(quaker state). 62,500 miles. Runs smoooooth .

Originally Posted By: Lee4212
I'm using Bosch right now. Have used Purolator L10111 in my 2005 impala but it's hard to find it.. Maybe it's me but the bosch seems to make the engine quieter. Not a napa fan of oil filters. Maybe gm version,maybe. Q/S oil or Shell but I prefer QS oil.(quaker state). 62,500 miles. Runs smoooooth .

Which QS oil?.... they make 3-4 flavors.

Trust? I’m still waiting for one email reply from Purolator and one from Mann+Hummel. TICK TOCK

Purolator Response Center Mascot

You’ve encountered that critter too?

Many here have.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back