Do Subaru Factory Filters Anti Drainback Valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To sayjac intention I would say it depends where the filter is in the system. For this exercise, Just think of it as a check valve - forget all the other stuff for reasons of clarity. If ALL components are below oil ( or below mains drill) then it should stay filled regardless of orientation, and this has been my experience. The Subaru situation is different where its above everything engine and air will seek it was up then displace oil. You can tell they ( Subaru used FB filters) are empty as they are just a tad weightier than a virgin filter. I will say ive only change the oil after a overnight drain back or a 3+ hour cool down.

I've had 3 vehicles with oil filters mounted vertical base down on top of the engine - 2 RX-7s and the Tacoma I currently have. The filters would always "puke" oil all over the place if you didn't punch a hole in the dome end to let them drain out totally for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the filter. That's because the ADBV was sealing 100%. The Tacoma even has a "catch basin" under the oil filter mount to catch puking oil, but I still punch a hole in the dome end and let it drain. I can actually hear the oil draining into the sump when the hole is punched in the filter if it's quiet in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back