Do not call law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any enforcement teeth in the do not call law?

I get multiple robo calls from security companies and others that don't care that you're on the do not call list. Id love to have their local technician come out and have the police charge them. But I suppose police don't enforce federal law and they and the Feds have more important things to do. So the law is for show and only honorable companies use the list?

Yeah the do not call list is only for companies that care. Most of the robo calls are scams. That bad thing is that even the legitimate telemarketers are taking advantage of number portability so now they show up as being in you area code just to get you to answer.

Unfortunately we are out of luck on getting it to stop unless you get rid of your phone. A lot of them are just like the scam emails.

There are only two things that "kind of" work, and they are not foolproof. They are these...

1. Only answer phone calls from phone numbers you recognize. The RESTRICTED number, or number you've never seen before? Let it go to Voicemail (I never check my voicemail, I don't even think its set up.) Then Google it. Still in doubt? Text it. Chances are.. No reply, telemarketer or debt collector

2. MARK any call you ACCIDENTALLY pick up (like when you're actually expecting a new number to call you, job interview etc) as DEBT COLLECTOR or TELEMARKETER and save to your Contacts.

Land-line phones still exist, but are becoming or are already obsolete. And the Kardashian wanna-bes of the world that stay stopped at green lights while they text, and try to flip off those that think to move, are very easily driven around. I've seen that regularly. Can lead to road rage but whatever.

Those are about the only two things that you can do.

Try nomorobo.com.

Since adding this service to my land line, I haven't won a single Caribbean cruise or gotten vague calls about my account. No political calls during the election, even.

www.nomorobo.com Must be able to have "Simultaneous Ring" enabled on your phone to use. Works great, you get one ring and if the number is a know scammer it blocks it. You still get the first ring though.

Almost forgot: Most of the time, even answering the phone or especially picking up and hitting "1" to be put on the DNC list or whatever is also a scam to confirm that its a real and actual number. Pretty much zero enforceability.

I bought a program several years ago called Phone Tray Pro. I can add any call to my list and then it gets zapped after one ring, with your message of choice or just a block. Best money I ever spent. The Do Not Call Registry doesn't help a whole lot. On my cell phone I use a program called Mr. Number to block calls.

I get scam calls sometimes, I answer as Agent so and so with the three letter agency of my choice and then demand they stay on the line because all calls coming in must be documented. Usually gets a quick hangup but some people stay on and answer all my questions. Then I tell them they called a number that shouldn't be dialed and to please get it removed off the list. I think this actually has worked a couple times.

Blocking the number wouldn't work for most of them. Some days I get at least three calls and never a repeat number for days and days.

Google bombed my Moms house daily for two years.
I told her to answer it and go through the motions they ask of you to be removed. For once they actually obeyed and the calls stopped.

The Canadian pharmacy losers called me for 6 years. I wasted time and money blocking them and they just got a new number every week and so you could not defeat them.

So the next time they called out of the blue I said he no longer lives here as he moved. That basic line made them go away and I have been call free for over a year. Try it!

For my land line at home I use a Sentry Phone Blocker. Works great and highly recommended.

For an Android Cell Phone recommend the free "Should I Answer". Friends with an IPhone have had good luck using "TrueCaller".

Get a Google Voice number, then you have a mode where callers verbally announce themselves and GV calls you, plays the announcement, and asks you if you want to accept the call.

Had some idiot from an extended warranty co. call yesterday. Told him I wasn't interested plus I'm on the federal and state do not call list. He said to give him a break as there's no such list. I told his remark will confirm I don't want their product and to not call again. Ya what a racket.

In my experience and opinion, the worst robo caller of all time, nothing even comes close, is Google.

They tirelessly robo call my businesses, and frequently change displayed numbers to elude detection.

I wish I could bill them for all the time they waste.

I like playing games with them...if it's a live person, sometimes I play along to waste their time until they figure it out, other times I'll use profanity or just keep saying "Hello?" in an elderly-sounding voice. I figure if they know I'm not gullible, maybe they won't bother calling back.

Originally Posted By: Win
In my experience and opinion, the worst robo caller of all time, nothing even comes close, is Google.

They tirelessly robo call my businesses, and frequently change displayed numbers to elude detection.

I wish I could bill them for all the time they waste.

Why would someone at Google be calling you? What are they selling?

Google is loaded. Their services sell themselves. I sincerely doubt 'the' Google is robocalling you or anyone else. Maybe you're getting hit with a bunch of salespeople with Google Voice numbers?

When my kids were toddlers, I used to hand them the land line phone. When they would call at dinner time, we would have the speaker phone on and my wife and I would crack up laughing the conversations the kids would have with telemarketers. Some callers would try to get the little ones to commit to purchasing something. These days, we just use a call blocker.
Do Not Call does not apply to charities. We get bombarded with charities.

If you can get it, it's great.

We have it. One ring, then nomorobo picks up most robo calls.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Try nomorobo.com.

Since adding this service to my land line, I haven't won a single Caribbean cruise or gotten vague calls about my account. No political calls during the election, even.

OMG the vehicle extended warranty companies are the ones that assault my sanity. I bought a vehicle through a major Ford dealer, and ever since, they have all my info. The dealer claims no responsibility and points fingers at the state of OK giving out my info. I call them, they don't give out info. I call the only tag agency I use, nope, not them either. Call my credit union, nah. So how does every warranty company have my name, number, and correct vehicle info?!?

Somebody is lying to me. Any ideas on how to get rid of these lowlifes? Or figure out who is guilty? Of course, I'm on the entirely useless DNC...

AARP is the worst phone bomber I've encountered, and they sell your info to all sorts of special interest groups who then bombard you as well about senior issues. I doubt I'll ever join again.

Behind them, the extended vehicle warranty and alternate utility service providers are tied for second worst. It reminds me of the days of fierce long distance service competition.

Good suggestions here in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back