Do engines clean the air?

I've seen a few utterances that certain engines can leave the air more clean than the air going in. I've always thought it was hyperbole. This weekend I came across this link by accident, and it supports this claim.

Link

Quote:
Remember that crazy-expensive lab equipment that measures exhaust emissions? It also measures the emissions makeup of the ambient air that the vehicles draw in through their intake tracts. This is important because, well, what if your emissions lab was located next to a natural gas vent? Only by measuring what goes into and out of the vehicle and comparing the differences can the vehicle's contribution to emissions be accurately assessed.

Here's why you should care. When the Raptor (and the Fiat) was running Phase 2 of its tests on the dyno, it was cleaning the air of hydrocarbons. Yes, there were actually fewer hydrocarbons in the Raptor's exhaust than in the air it — and we — breathed. In the Raptor's case, the ambient air contained 2.821 ppm of total hydrocarbons, and the amount of total hydrocarbons coming out the Raptor's tailpipe measured 2.639 ppm.

Moving on... what about emissions of OPE? I've always assumed that OPE was more dirty, and that an hour of yard work might emit more than a week of commuting. This doesn't fully answer the question, but it doesn't undo my assumption either.

Quote:
Distilling the above results, the four-stroke Ryobi leaf blower kicked out 6.8 times more NOx, 13.5 times more CO and more than 36 times more NMHC than the Raptor.

The two-stroke leaf blower was worse still, generating 23 times the CO and nearly 300 times more NMHC than the crew cab pickup. Let's put that in perspective. To equal the hydrocarbon emissions of about a half-hour of yard work with this two-stroke leaf blower, you'd have to drive a Raptor for 3,887 miles, or the distance from Northern Texas to Anchorage, Alaska.

Now, a leaf blower isn't the same as a lawnmower, but lawnmowers tend to be larger engines, so, maybe they pollute more? Dunno. And something I didn't see mentioned in the article was evaporative emissions. Cars emit very low evaporative emissions. Just sitting there OPE can be "outgassing".

Lastly, the article does briefly mention carbon dioxide, but just for the record, CO2 tracks fuel burn. So we all know how that works (burn more gas, make more CO2, nothing astounding there).

The question becomes: how many Ford Raptors does it take to clean the air after some immature bozo 'rolls coal' from his 5" lifted Ram PU?

All joking aside, I recall hearing 15 years ago that in Mexico City, all new gasoline cars emit cleaner air than what they ingested.

There was a volvo a while back with a catalytic coating on its radiator that cleaned air passing over it, as well.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There was a volvo a while back with a catalytic coating on its radiator that cleaned air passing over it, as well.

BMW's with the M56 engine also had something similar. Plus it was against emission regulations to replace the radiator with a standard radiator.

That radiator is actually kinda cool. I wonder how expensive a replacement is. If they aren't super expensive I wonder how long it will be before they are much more common.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Units are not shown for that table above, making it meaningless. Neither are the test conditions.
Fair enough, although in the link the units are listed above the table (grams per minute). Also the article states that the test used was the FTP 75.

Quote:
It turns out that our local branch of the American Automobile Association (AAA), Auto Club of Southern California, runs exactly the kind of emissions lab we had in mind. It's called the Automotive Research Center, and it's in Diamond Bar, California. There, the fine people of AAA ran full FTP 75 emissions cycles on the Raptor and the 500.

The FTP 75 cycle is one of the primary yardsticks in the U.S. certification of light-duty vehicle emissions and fuel economy. It consists of — stay with us here — three major sub-tests called phases, each of which is defined by a specific pattern of speed versus time. Phase 1 is a 505-second cold-start cycle and is followed by Phase 2, which is a "stabilized" test that lasts 864 seconds. Phase 3 is a repeat of the Phase 1 test, the only difference being that it is performed when the engine is fully warmed.

Of course, we must remember that CO2 is said to be a pollutant by many. Even an earlier EPA chief (Jackson) made the claim.

And that Catalytic converters effectively create more CO2 from an engine's exhaust.

Yes, OPE is dirty compared to modern automotive engines. You are running a low tech carb powered engine with zero emissions controls (other than the EPA fixed adjustments we all love).

NExt steps are things like Catalytic converters, but the problem is the heat from them is considered a massive fire ignition hazard. Thus why they have not been implemented yet, but there are people working on the problem...

Volvo's Prem-Air radiators had a coating which, when hot, catalyzed ozone (O3) into O2 molecules.

Replacement radiators from Volvo weren't so expensive (the time I checked).

The EPA would consider an overall level of 0.1 ppm NO2 in city air to be an immediately deadly amount of pollution. So 60 ppm or even 6 ppm leaving a tailpipe is adding pollution not taking it away.

Ozone removal catalysts have been fitted to airliner cabin air systems for some time to remove the high levels of ozone naturally found at high altitude. Ordinarily no one was intended to breathe the air at 35,000 feet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Of course, we must remember that CO2 is said to be a pollutant by many. Even an earlier EPA chief (Jackson) made the claim.

And that Catalytic converters effectively create more CO2 from an engine's exhaust.

CO2 is one-in, one-out. One gallon of fuel/carbon in generates the same amount. CO2 has been proven (after a lot of thought) to have a deleterious effect on living conditions, so attempts are (were?) being made to regulate it.

Or are you saying that a cat converter converts a mix of 99% CO2/ 1% CO into 100% CO2? That's slightly more with the benefit of not having CO around which bonds to red blood cells 100s of times better than regular O2.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The CO in the atmosphere reacts to CO2 anyway...it's better to have the catalyst do that job.

hydrocarbon + NO → CO2 + H2O + N2 (gas)

CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2] O2 → x CO2 + (x+1) H2O (diesel)

Both catalysts create CO2 from unburned hydrocarbons.

Also, an engine equipped with a three-way catalyst must run at near the stoichiometric point, which means more fuel is consumed than in a lean-burn engine. This means approximately 10% more CO2 emissions from the vehicle.

Our EPA recognizes the increase in greenhouse gasses due to the use of modern catalysts, especially the increase in nitrous oxide. Said to be 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The CO in the atmosphere reacts to CO2 anyway...it's better to have the catalyst do that job.

hydrocarbon + NO → CO2 + H2O + N2 (gas)

CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2] O2 → x CO2 + (x+1) H2O (diesel)

what ???

If that's supposed to be chemistry, it's nonsensical.

Put a beaker of petrol (or diesel) through your car and unless what comes out the tailpipe is soot, then it ultimately ends up as CO2...whether through combustion or post combustion.

Put a beaker of petrol (or diesel) on your verandah, and let it evaporate, it'll ultimately end up in CO2.

The remainder of your post re Nitrous oxide has nothing to do with carbon balance...and "greenhouse" is verbotten, and thus out of the realm of the thread.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: eljefino

BMW's with the M56 engine also had something similar. Plus it was against emission regulations to replace the radiator with a standard radiator.

It's called PremAir catalyst.
https://catalysts.basf.com/products-and-...talysts/premair

Back when Sharper Image was still alive, many of their upgraded Ionic Breeze's had a PremAir catalyst on the output side, which converted ozone, O3 to oxygen, O2.

One of these days, I will take one my dead Ionic Breeze's to remove the catalyst and install it in my car's HVAC intake.

Back