DIY oil change, warranty question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy as pie! Mark your oil and filter purchase receipts and with date and mileage. Store those receipts in your owners manual.

Last edited:
I keep a maintenance log and receipts for oil and filters (OEM). Not going to give the manufacturer any reason/excuse for denying a warranty claim.

When I was trading in my last vehicle ... they wanted to dock me $500 because there was no PM in “the system”...Pulled out my iPhone and showed them my photos ... problem solved

Originally Posted By: MParr
Easy as pie! Mark your oil and filter purchase receipts and with date and mileage. Store those receipts in your owners manual.

That's exactly what i do. No hassle or fuss.

i keep receipts and the tab on the oil filter box and write the date and the mileage on it as well as in the maintenance book.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
To be clear, are you asking about the warranty of the OEM vehicle, or the warranty of the lube maker?

Bought a flood replacement car several months ago. 2017 Ford Fiesta.

Let's not lose sight of the differences in dealers. Some dealer are perpetually in OEMs "bad" list because of warranty claims in excess of the norm. It's not unreasonable to assume these dealers will be held to a different standard for large warranty claims than a dealer in good graces. This could easily involve requiring photos under the valve cover and copies of oil change receipts before authorizing repairs.

So, at the very least keep copies of all receipts, reset the oil life monitor and, if available, enter maintenance information in the OEM's system. And if you have any reason to believe your dealer may be not in the best graces of the manufacturer, take and save photos or videos of the oil change process.

I just use the OEM website owners section to enter oil change information in. I do hold onto receipts, but they are invoices from my business oil purchases that my personal oil purchase is included on. Has nothing to do with some sort of "proof" for the dealer. I am more concerned about proof for tax deductions. Form both the commercial side and the consumer side, I have never seen or heard of first hand a dealership requiring a stack of receipts to prove oil changes. Just seems like another one of those things that people spend a lot of time worrying about. I have had warranty work done on engines over the decades, and not once has a dealer shop even asked for records of oil changes, or even what oil I was using. The subject never came up. They know when they open an engine if the oil has been changed regularly.

Some manufacturers can be more/less stringent. Subaru seems to be less of a hassle than Hyundai. Hyundai has somewhat of a reputation for denying things if you can't prove it... However, I never let a company get away with anything. I made a warranty on a 18 year old Subaru. They fought me on that. However, Subaru explicitly states that seatbelts are lifetime warrantied parts. Next, they fought me claiming that a dog chewed the belt. It frayed badly but every vertical thread was untouched (it was unweaving itself) and that the pristine leather seats showed no dog issues. Then again, Subaru denying something over a dog is a bit anti-corporate image.

One, I purchase oil/filters (as well as any other PM items) for my "under warranty" vehicles online (Amazon). Thus I have an automatic receipt archived in both my email and Amazon account. No worries, I still have a lot of clearance oil in my stash.

Next, I use the "MySubaru/MyHyundai" (OEM's website tool) online maintenance reporting options. Thus, I have a record with the manufacturer (timestamped) when I do maintenance. You can also see other dealer reported work if it was done.

Next, I take pictures while working. This is more for the "inspect X, Y, Z" elements of the service schedule. So if I have to take something in because X failed, and the dealer says "nope" because you did not check it, I have receipts, reporting and photographs that can prove otherwise.

Finally, I keep any other receipt/documentation tucked in vehicle specific binders. Normally, I am a bit lazy here so I only really file things once every 6 months and in the mean time they are stashed in my MR2 service manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back