DIY oil change - I am starting to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't enjoyed changing oil since I was about 16. That is why I like good oil, change it and forget it for a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
I've changed the oil in my vehicles for a long time now. However, once I bought a Fusion, it was too low to the ground for me to do easily so I was taking it to the Quick Lane for the oil change special. It took well over an hour of waiting every time.

Finally I got fed up with that and started doing it where I had access to a set of ramps and someone to spot me driving up them. Then I got good enough to drive it up the ramps on my own, and the rest is history.
laugh.gif

As for my E-250, it's the easiest vehicle in the world to change the oil. Anyone who owns one knows what I mean.

Floor jack .

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: AVB
I haven't enjoyed changing oil since I was about 16. That is why I like good oil, change it and forget it for a year or two.

Year or two ? Please say it ain't so .

Do not get me wrong , I look at changing oil / filter as a chore . And my Wife does put the miles on the little Red Chevy Sonic .

But when we bought it , I discovered it takes Dexos synthetic blend or full synthetic . Not Dino oil .

I knew that would cost even more at the Rapid Change she had been using . So , I bit the bullet and committed to changing it myself , to save money . It did not hurt that Chevrolet threw in 4 free oil changes in the first 24,000 miles .

I buy oil on sale and order several filters at a time from RockAuto.com or catch an Advance Auto sale of oil + free filter . I am changing oil / filter at about 4,500 miles . I wish to keep the oil super clean . I do not want to sludge up the cam phaser & cause a very expensive repair bill .

God bless
Wyr

I'm always looking forward changing oil in one of my vehicles; I'm doing it for about 15 years now;
Very pleased with results, I don't let any oil changing places to waste my time and to use lower quality oil on my cars

My late Dad tought me how to change oil , maybe 50 years ago . We had a 1962 Chevy with a 235 6 cylinder . It used a cartrage filter that fit inside a metal cylinder . Think he removed one bolt to remove the top . Messy job to remove the saturated cartrage filter , then to remove the additional oil still in the metal cylinder .

Next car he bought had the metal spin on filters . Great improvement . :)

God rest his soul .

Wyr
God bless

Welcome to the club!

Or, the disease it becomes...

there is a sense of satisfaction of doing it yourself, and depending on your tools and inclination, it can take less time than waiting for someone else to do it. I hope to keep doing it a long time.

I have the 3 cars between my wife and I, but also support 4 kids' cars, depending on the relationship with their parents/step-parents, etc.. I don't plan to always do theirs, but for now would rather do it myself for cost reasons and to catch what others might miss before problems happen. Just keeping an eye on fluids, hoses and belts goes a long way.

-m

Originally Posted By: Ddubya
When I was 16 years old, I changed the oil one time each in our family cars at the time, a '72 Nova, '69 Stingray, '84 Volvo 740, and '85 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo, and didn't do it again for almost 30 years.
When I was 16, I enjoyed doing oil changes. I think. It was more than half of my life ago.
Now I just borrow my neighbor's MityVac and suck it all out of the tube. I can't be bothered to deal with the mess anymore!

Sometimes I get busy and loose track. I don't think I have ever gone much over a year. It does get a little make up oil every now and then.

You could always try a Fumoto, too, if you don't like messes. I'm BITOG's foremost expert on making a gigantic mess when changing oil, and the Fumoto has made things much more peaceful.

Of course, when I'm helping a friend, I still enjoy dropping the plug or slam dunking the filter into the catch pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back