Discount Tire Direct becomes Tire Rack?

Discount Tire Direct becomes Tire Rack?

Is this old news?

Who bought who?

Is this good or bad news for the average customer?

It was inevitable. Surprised they didn't consolidate their online efforts sooner. But both have good CS, but TR has a better site.

Less competition is not a good thing, but the tire cartel and their MAP(-like, at least) pricing has a firm grip on the market, regardless of the number of retail options.

I just read my emails from today.. Got the email from DiscountTire Direct, they say they're shutting that website down in favor of using Tirerack.com. As everyone said, Discount Tire bought out Tire Rack, but here's something interesting.. I looked up the stock size for my scion tC 215/45-17 and the tire offerings that used to be there at DiscountTireDirect are no longer there on TireRack.. I have always received excellent service from DTD in the past, so I'll see if they'll fix their new Tirerack website.. But if they just want to sell some of the stuff tire rack had (which is why I went to DTD instead) then I guess there's other retailers I can get tires from... Just thought I'd mention it, let's see how this goes..

I just read my emails from today.. Got the email from DiscountTire Direct, they say they're shutting that website down in favor of using Tirerack.com. As everyone said, Discount Tire bought out Tire Rack, but here's something interesting.. I looked up the stock size for my scion tC 215/45-17 and the tire offerings that used to be there at DiscountTireDirect are no longer there on TireRack.. I have always received excellent service from DTD in the past, so I'll see if they'll fix their new Tirerack website.. But if they just want to sell some of the stuff tire rack had (which is why I went to DTD instead) then I guess there's other retailers I can get tires from... Just thought I'd mention it, let's see how this goes..

And, they just changed it now. DTD page just redirects you to TR. They just did this now, as DTD looked like it did before at the time of my last post in this thread.

This sucks, as DTD has the same promotions as DT stores, but TR doesn't have them.

For example, the last Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale $110 off a set of four tires was on both DT and DTD, but not TR. I do not have a DT nearby.

Discount Tire bought TR a few years back.

Reduction of competition is never good news for the customer.
never fear, I seen a new Discount Tire store. They aren't even able to do wheel alignments so what's the point of buying tread if it's not aligned properly. If your going to run a tire shop at least do the basics of alignments and probably oil change as those are often performed at the same interval.

And, they just changed it now. DTD page just redirects you to TR. They just did this now, as DTD looked like it did before at the time of my last post in this thread.

This sucks, as DTD has the same promotions as DT stores, but TR doesn't have them.

For example, the last Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale $110 off a set of four tires was on both DT and DTD, but not TR. I do not have a DT nearby.
yes it sure looks like it sucks! I've noticed in their "corporate speak" in the FAQ they're trying to get you to go to their discount tire store. I bet their strategy is to separate the discount tire brand into store locations and the tirerack.com will be their online website. I've been to my local discount tire store, I would never let them touch my car or my tires!! It's as bad as jiffy lube! It's why I have a shop I trust install any tires I order/bring to the shop.

No I don't think so Discount Tire. (n)

Interesting to hear the different perspectives. We have no DT in the Northeast but Tire Rack has been a trusted vendor for decades and has a terrific website. Two great family -owned companies are merging. Let's hope they keep the best of both. It is possible as long as private equity doesn't get involved and they don't go public. This is an old link but it looks like they wanted to keep it private:

I've bought many sets of tires at Discount Tire Direct without having DTD install those tires...you can get them installed elsewhere if you like...I also have had a few dealings with the Discount Tire stores in the last few years and I wouldn't use them for anything if I could help it...

Bill

Interesting to hear the different perspectives. We have no DT in the Northeast but Tire Rack has been a trusted vendor for decades and has a terrific website. Two great family -owned companies are merging. Let's hope they keep the best of both. It is possible as long as private equity doesn't get involved and they don't go public. This is an old link but it looks like they wanted to keep it private:

There are 5 DT stores in PA, so maybe they'll make their way up to you soon. Two of them are near Pittsburgh, one in Altoona, one in Scranton, and one in Wilkes-Barre. The latter two use the America's Tire name, but still, 5 DT/AT stores in PA is a start. All of them opened within the last 2 years.

never fear, I seen a new Discount Tire store. They aren't even able to do wheel alignments so what's the point of buying tread if it's not aligned properly. If your going to run a tire shop at least do the basics of alignments and probably oil change as those are often performed at the same interval.
I see this as a plus - there not incessantly trying to sell me an alignment I know full well I do not need.

I have had much better service at the local discount tire than any other local tire store. Of course that is a low bar to be sure.

i shop for the best price on line + my local indy mounts + balances for s GOOD price!! last set for girlfriends car the tire rack guy got the rebate for me because contrary everyone is NOT phone savy which was the ONLY way to file a rebate $$$

Interesting development on DTD combining with and moving to the TR website. Though I've never purchased from DTD, I've frequently used them as price (price match) and tire availability reference before a tire purchase at b&m DT store. That includes some relatively recent purchases. Not so with OG TR, prices there never been one to use for price match, always higher than DTD.

Name wise, probably makes some sense to separate online name from b&m DT/AT. I'll reserve judgement on the change until I see how if at all it affects prices and tire selection on the tires on the TR site. I'm going to get any promotions from local DT stores anyway, so that's not an issue. I'd say if combining means it's just same TR tire selection and pricing as it's been, that would not be a positive for consumers. Time will tell to see how it shakes out.

As for b&m DT stores, been buying tires from them for ~20 years, no intention of changing. 'For me', they've delivered a consistently high level of service including after the sale maintenance.

I see this as a plus - there not incessantly trying to sell me an alignment I know full well I do not need.

I have had much better service at the local discount tire than any other local tire store. Of course that is a low bar to be sure.
I like DT and purchase there a lot. They will try to sell you wipers at every visit though.

I like DT and purchase there a lot. They will try to sell you wipers at every visit though.
Same. Yes, they have added wipers to their sales repertoire, but for me that's just been a polite "no thanks". I've seen no high pressure. I also like that they have stayed away from alignments and excepting wiper query, just dedicated tire sales and tire maintenance.

On further review, unless something changes it does seem TR as it was, is now the online sales division of DT/AT. I don't see any resemblance to DTD now.

Back