Dirt roads

Not everyone lives in the city . There is only 1 way in or out of my place and this is it.

As for cars. European cars do not stay together on this road. Neither do gm trucks. The Front Ends Can't take it .Honda's and kias don't do too well either

Hence why many of us are hesitant to jump into EV. Hybrid, yes. EV, nope. Rivian trucks are very cool, but I need more range than what I can get in an EV.

GM truck front ends are terrible. I used them for work in Agriculture for years, not by choice, and a $2000 front end repair was needed around 90,000 miles like clockwork.

Any Trailhawk CUV should work on that road.

Nice to see a Jeep doing real Jeep stuff
Is the front suspension height normal, it looks low from this angle?
That’s stock. I lifted the front about 1.25” with Bilstein adjustable struts since those pics and went 1 size larger on the tires
IMG_9902.jpeg

I grew up on a dirt roads and fairly terrible asphalt roads leading to the dirt roads. Could get fairly rough depending on when they got around to grading it. My parents have had nothing but regular cars all my life. Never had any issues with any vehicle.. unless their making them weaker these days. Well guess I better take that back, mom hit a rock with the 88 Plymouth Reliant station wagon. The biggest issue is since dad is not a big car washer alot of the vehicles start to rust from the dirt built up.

[QUOTE="I It's a road made of dirt. You'd think someone who is a known troll would know that but apparently not.
[/QUOTE]
I guess you don't get sarcasm? And posting insults in a thread is pretty much trolling itself. ;)

The biggest issue is since dad is not a big car washer alot of the vehicles start to rust from the dirt built up.
Reminds me of when I was a kid and we lived on a short little road that was a mix of gravel and mud. Our cars were always dirty! I have looked back at old pics and sure enough there's the VW or the '68 Chevy in the driveway with a generous coating of dirt/dust.

I remember once going with my dad to pick up a tire he had left there to be patched. They had about four or five ready to be picked up but it was obvious which one was ours!

On the subaru forums there's a few guys that switched from 1/2 tons and say they can drive much faster on the rough roads with their Forester or Outback and be in control and comfortable, while getting to their fishing spot 40 miles off the highway...

I find our 2018 Outback a little softly sprung and damped for hard driving on humps and jumps, but the 2012-17's were much stiffer.
Probably of all the new cars(other than the Raptor and like), I'd bet the Mitsu Mirage and the Crosstrek would handle WRC rally style driving the best. Usually the lighter cars are just stronger for their weight, and the bump stops work a bit better.

A car that really surprised me though was our 1992 Sentra, it seemed to have a lot of well damped travel and then really progressive bump stops, and also had 70 series 13" tires. We drove from Happy Valley/Goose Bay Labrador to Baie Comeau Quebec and did a few hundred miles on gravel roads with the occasional culvert half washed out! We'd get up to 55 mph(or whatever speed minimized the washboard vibrations) and then see the dip from the culvert was serious, scrub as much speed as we could and then let off the brakes and hoped for the best! A few times we caught air off the up slope on the far side. In hindsight that was a great driving and handling car, but it was my wifes so I didn't drive it that much.

What's a dirt road? This isn't the 20's anymore. And I mean the 1920's.

Many of Virginia's roads didn't get paved until the 30s and 40s. It's part of how VDOT ended up with maintenance responsibility for almost all the roads in the state. Unexplained is how the state had the money to maintain (and pave) those roads when the counties didn't...

I don't think there are any unpaved roads within 50 miles of the DC area, I've checked the maps.

Part of Signal Hill Rd in Manassas, VA is still not paved. Part of Loudoun Drive in Haymarket, VA is also not paved. Lonesome Rd in Nokesville, VA is not paved. Part of Kincheloe Rd in Clifton, VA is not paved.

Last edited:
I like my 2001 Montero on dirt roads. Not enough travel or Clarence for crawling, not enough power for the track. Excellent on dirt that was smooth once.

Not everyone lives in Suburbia.

Some people still live away from civilization that it requires travelling on an unpaved road to get to their property that does not have municipal water and sewage.

Around my turf.......'dirt roads' are very common......either BLM or Forest Service....etc

Some dry wash stream beds are classified as 'county roads'

These will have a grader pass through after heavy rains or flash floods...Aug/September

All these areas can be traveled by most any type of registered vehicle....ATV/UTV's also

Although no 2WD's in my garage........'Yota 4x4 SUV's

I could 'never' live in suburbia............never

Abu68SZ.jpg

f9GSdoM.jpg

ZmRoWvk.jpg

Years ago we were leaving Mid-Ohio the Sunday at the end of the vintage weekend. We were driving my now departed BMW and I was later grateful that we had the top up and the AC cranked.
I was following a county road that appeared on the map and figured this would be a calm and scenic back route to I-71.
The road started out as pretty good asphalt, degraded to broken pavement and finally to washboard gravel/dirt. It had been dry and so this half road was very dusty, so I was glad not to have the top down.
We persevered slowly for a few miles and then ran into actual pavement once again.
A hundred or so miles south on I-71 we ran into torrential rain, which washed all of the dust and dirt off of the car. Aside from not being able to see much of anything down in the spray in the BMW, this was still better than the dirt section we drove on.

P2 Volvos with taller tire profiles are surprisingly adept at swallowing rough stuff. Never driven another sedan like them. Lots of suspension travel, and idk how they tune the factory sachs dampers but many they can handle some rough stuff in stride and also without alignment problems.

Back