Dirt roads

Just for the fun of discussion, what are some top vehicles for rough/dirt roads. Something meaner than normal pavement all the way to seasonal but 2WD passable roads? Obviously, reliability and durability matter but so do things like utility, passenger & cargo space and ride quality. I would think that most full size (1/2 ton) trucks would be at the top of the list but what about something less obvious and more refined? I always found the crown victoria to do quite well, but that big old live rear axle loves to skip around. Other thoughts?

I live on a curvy and, in some places, steep dirt road. With 4 seasons conditions on a mountain side in Vermont.

An all wheel drive SUV is the preferred vehicle. But one that can superbly handle the paved road system, including Interstates. We get by with all season tires, but do not drive in deep snow or active snow storms. We are retired, so on bad days, we just stay home.

Which is why our fleet includes the BMW X5 and the Lexus RX350. Both are 25 mpg plus vehicles for over the road trips.

A w123 Mercedes or probably some old Peugeot. Lots of suspension travel, adequate ground clearance, fabulous seats, independent rear suspension.

What's a dirt road? This isn't the 20's anymore. And I mean the 1920's.
Picture a road, but dirt instead of asphalt! 🤣

I like seeing how big of a dust cloud I can kick up (within reason) when visiting my great aunts and uncles, though last time I went out there the county decided to replace the decades old gravel that was on the verge of being pure dirt with fresh gravel. Still super dusty though.

Our van does well within reason, truck is a no brainer for those kind of roads. Our old Caliber did great “off roading” on those kinds of roads/paths.

Here's an unimproved road in NJ that connected 2 paved roads, I used to rip through in my Tiguan AWD coming back from lunch to work

1692160383316.jpg

Not everyone lives in Suburbia.

Some people still live away from civilization that it requires travelling on an unpaved road to get to their property that does not have municipal water and sewage.
I wonder sometimes, dirt/chip roads seem smoother than our paved ones 😭
They might cause more windshield damage?
Gotta keep the Safelite guy in business 🙄
1692166578868.png

1692166601363.png

For the Washington DC guy who has no knowledge of dirt roads, he reminds me of a cousin who spent her young years in a project apartment in Brooklyn. She used to call a grass lawn "the floor"
I don't think there are any unpaved roads within 50 miles of the DC area, I've checked the maps. Would love to find some nearby for doing 4 wheel drifts as I remember doing while on vacation with my father out west 20 plus years ago.

I don't think there are any unpaved roads within 50 miles of the DC area, I've checked the maps.
Probably not. But weren't you just in Iowa? Bet there were plenty of dirt or gravel roads within a couple miles of whichever highways you were on. And in dozens of surrounding states.

I drive my lowly Honda Civic on dirt roads all the time and haven't had any problems other than both struts replaced. I have the factory aftermarket mud flaps on the car and there are not any rock chips behind the wheels or on the sides. I think most cars will do ok on gravel roads. AWD would be better though. It's muddy roads that I don't drive on.

My Rogue is great on gravel and dirt roads. I would think any CUV these days would be fine. AWD would be the extra insurance needed if it got rough.

I rented a Rogue sport in Louisiana when I was doing some work with sugar cane. It was AWD and went some places I would not have expected, all dirt. That gave me more confidence about any backroad cruising I would do in my Rogue SL AWD.

I had a rented Frontier the first time, but no truck was available the second time.

Back