Direct Buy - any members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a call from them inviting me to open house. Online research agrees with my gut instinct that it has a rather high membership cost and open house is similar to a timeshare presentation.

Any BITOG opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Direct buy is slightly more legitimate than a timeshare , but unless you shop and buy retail, it really will not save you much money. There are just too many discounters out there vying for large scale purchases. The ordering and delivery are sometimes very complicated and time consuming. I have read that delivery takes many weeks and can mess up a schedule.

ive got a buddy thats in it, i asked him as i was intrested some time ago. His exact words "you gotta buy alot to save a little" we talked in more detail and he said that he remodel his entire downstairs, 3 rooms. He did his from the floor up, he said he spent around 20 thousand dollars with them and when he was done may have saved $1,500 v.s. just buying locally after he paid for the membership/details ect.. and that was without looking for local deals.. just regular local daily prices.. to me this equals not worth the effort.

I went. They wanted me to cut a cheque for 6 grand right there and no time to think about it. And if I didn't there was no re-invitation(if that's a word). High pressure for sure. Unles you are building a new home it isn't worth it

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
ive got a buddy thats in it, i asked him as i was intrested some time ago. His exact words "you gotta buy alot to save a little" we talked in more detail and he said that he remodel his entire downstairs, 3 rooms. He did his from the floor up, he said he spent around 20 thousand dollars with them and when he was done may have saved $1,500 v.s. just buying locally after he paid for the membership/details ect.. and that was without looking for local deals.. just regular local daily prices.. to me this equals not worth the effort.

And that's if they get it into you on time. A basement isn't really a solid deadline type deal. I built a custom home for a customer and I was on a strict timeline for closing due to their existing home already being sold. Well direct buy first brought in the wrong fridge and stove set,however the customer said he would take them anyway at a reduced price. They got delivered. And didn't fit into the openings of their 40000 dollar kitchen. So the options were to wait six weeks for new cabinets at a cost of 10 grand or wait 6 weeks for the right appliances.
The customer then had to eat the cost of the wrong appliances because he agreed to buy them at a reduced cost. Another 6 grand. Then the gas fireplaces that didn't fit into the mantles,hardwood flooring that was different widths and couldnt be laid unless we treated as unfinished hardwood and sanded off the existing finish,then filled all the cracks,then another coat of finish that wasn't exactly the same as the original and no longer went with the other furnishings in the room.
Due to direct buys great deals this particular customers home had a cost over run of over 50 grand and they had to stay with relatives for 2 months because of delays. I am sure direct buy and their way works in a perfect world however in this world I have found them to be a hinderance.
Try the home depot. Everything is in stock(mostly),the finished openings work for cabinets, fixtures and appliances and they will work with you to get your project moving. This is just my own personal experience with them. Your results may vary

Considering I like to examine and price out multiple options on absolutely anything I buy, I can't see paying any money to lock myself into a single supplier.

Thanks to everyone for the quick, informative responses.

When I saw "husband and wife must attend orientation together" - that was my cue to ask the BITOG braintrust.

Many thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Wife dragged me to their "presentation." What a waste of time. They use the typical scare tactics to try to put pressure on you to sign up on the spot. Like others have mentioned, you'd need to be buying a lot of premium/expensive stuff for this to make a little bit of sense, and even then, it's a bit of a stretch.

I'm actually a member but don't use it much. My ex-wife and I bought into it in 1996 but it only cost about $1,200 to join back then. I continued to pay the yearly fee after we split up so I could still use them if I wanted to.

What got us to buy into it was that we had recently bought a new $2,200 sectional sofa about a month prior to us going to the Direct Buy presentation. While at the presentation, we were looking at the board they had on the wall that had different items that you could buy through them. The exact same couch that we had just bought was up on the board and it was about half the cost of what we had actually paid. We later bought a bedroom set and saved a bunch of money.

My fiance is on my membership now and we used them to buy a bedroom set a few years ago. We saved about $2,000 on the set compared to what the exact same pieces were at various retail stores and online stores.

You can save money using them but it is dependent on what you buy. Home furnishings seem to be where you can save the most. A guy from work is a member and he used them when he built his new house and he said he saved a ton of money using them.

The one downside is that you can't see what you are buying first hand and sometimes things do get damaged in shipping. On both of the bedroom sets there was something a little wrong and they gave us the option to reorder the item or take an additional discount which we did in both cases.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back