dipstick or manual for oil quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when I drain the Acura with it nose high it takes 5Qt if drained level it only takes 4 1/4 Qts. Oil hides in the block, by design sometimes, and can drain more than when level.
Attitude is everything, especially of the changer.
smile.gif

Smoky

My friend owned a 2001 F-150 4.6 and I owned a 2002 F-150 4.6. Both our OM's spec'd 6 quarts w/filter for oil changes. For my 2002 F-150 6 quarts brought me exactly to the max mark. My friends 2001 F-150 would barely be at the minimum mark on his dip stick using 6 quarts
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
...it seems like every 4.6 Ford I have had holds more than 6 qts. Seems it takes anywhere from 6.75 qts to 7.0 qts to put it on the full line. I put 7.0 qts in my 02 Lincoln 4.6 for it's whole life. Never used oil or moved on the dipstick. Had over 150,000 miles when I traded it.

I found the same thing on my two 4.6 DOHC Lincoln engines. It seemed to always take around 6.5 qts which included filter pre-fills. As long as I was at the full line on the dip stick, that's what I went by. If the manual vs. dip stick exceeded 1/2 qt I'd be a bit concerned.

Smoky14 said:
I know when I drain the Acura with it nose high it takes 5Qt if drained level it only takes 4 1/4 Qts. Oil hides in the block, by design sometimes, and can drain more than when level.
Attitude is everything, especially of the changer.
smile.gif

Smoky

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I put in 1 qt less than full run engine and recheck oil level, now I know exactly what 1qt low is, add 1qt now I know where full is on dumb-stick. Dumb-sticks, to me, are almost never right. Some cars I've had drain more when pushed off the ramps, but most don't.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: zues50
this may be a stupid question but....manual calls for 7 quarts of oil in engine. When I put 7 quarts in, dipstick reads over full. what do we go by, dipstick or manual?

2007 f150 5.4

It depends upon how much over it is and how accurate the dipstick reading is.
On some dipsticks the reading is clear and on others it can be rather ambiguous especially after a new oil change.

It's best to keep in mind the oil level is generally determined over a range and is not absolute, and a little over the top mark with a 7 Quart capacity isn't going to stop the sun from shining.

I note in another post you are checking on level ground and in a consistent manner which is good.
However I see you are checking the level when hot.
I personally would only check when cold first thing in the morning for a best practice indication of correct levels.
Adjust as required to suite your requirements regarding ease of usage.

Some manufacturers list the oil capacity as a dry fill amount(brand new engine at the factory with no oil in it).
This may be adjusted in the future with revisions to manuals at their discretion to more accurately reflect a "service refill capacity" which will be a little less oil.
Alternately the manufacturer may adjust the marks on the dipstick or make the dipstick a little shorter on later models so they don't read overfull, as has happened in the past.

Oil level checking is really just a guide with many variables.
Check when cold and see how it goes.
The main thing is the whether the engine is using excessive amounts of oil or a consistent amount within reason(not excessive).

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
20 oz is perfect for my Brigs & Stratton 3.5HP engine and I've owned 3.

This is the direct cause from using 5W20 oil, said the Fire Chief.
mad.gif

Really? I've seen engines run without oil and yes they seize but not before running really hot temperatures first so I find this hard to believe.

Also my dad's snow blower came with 5w20 in it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Really? I've seen engines run without oil and yes they seize but not before running really hot temperatures first so I find this hard to believe.

Also my dad's snow blower came with 5w20 in it.
21.gif

I must come clean with the truth. While mowing I ran over an ant hill of "Texas Oil Rig Ants" and slashed their oil rig in two starting the 4 Alarm fire you see. I apologize to the Worker Ants and their families but refuse to extend the same to the Queen Ant!
34.gif
(Making America Great Again!)

I just did a quick look at the book on the Acura and the Suzuki.
Acura 5.6 after OH
4.3 change w/filter
4.0 w/o filter
Suzuki 5.9 after OH
3.6 W/filter
3.3 w/o filter

As you can see oil hides inside engines depending on design thus the angle of the engine during drain can make the fill different. I make it a point to check the dipstick against one from the same year and model then check the dipstick tube if there is any difference in the reading.
YMMV

Smoky

I agree to go by the dipstick to check the oil. As long as the dipstick isn't defective, bent, etc. There are plenty of spots where the oil can hide during an oil change.

I know on one of my cars when doing an oil change, all the oil comes out quickly within 5-10minutes. Then it drips, and drip.. waiting.. and bam! more comes out.. As if it missed the memo that a drain was going on! lol. Most shops don't wait long enough for it to all drain out. That's what I've found.

I know one shop that does the civic (since the oil filter is on the backside of the engine, terrible placement) oil change is refilling with about 3.4qts, when it's spec'd for 3.5. Yup some oil does hide out, just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back