? dino 5w-30 4500 miles '95 Honda Civic, 1.6l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results look outstanding. Last change was performed at dealer using unknown brand of 5w-30 dino oil. Refilled with 5w-30 Mobil1 and will run out to 6000 miles for another analysis.
 -

Only thing I can think of which might have caused these low readings was that the engine had sat overnight before the sample was taking (half-way through the drain) and the engine had only been run about a minute 15 min before the change.

This car is owned/driven by my fiance who doesn't rev the engine hard or drive it hard in general. It is used for commuting about 15 miles to work mostly freeway along with occasional errands after work and on the weekends. Occasionally I will take it out for a spin and take it through a few full throttle runs up to freeway speeds. Engine has been well maintained with 3-5k mi oil changes all it's life.

If these wear numbers stay low, I don't think the engine will ever wear out!

It's too bad we don't know what oil this is! We might be able to figure it out by the additives, if someone else on here has used it and recognizes it.

I wish my wife's Honda would show results like this using Royal Purple 5w30!

Where is the dealer?They probably use cheap stuff in bulk.Maybe Exxon Superflo?
burnout.gif

Dave, those are some really super numbers. I had a '95 Civic which had a coolant leak and I never had numbers anywhere near as good. My results are here on this site ... somewhere. Might want to try a search on "95 Civic." The name of the thread was "Does anyone have any Redline results?" or something very close to that.
dunno.gif

I also live in an area which sees abominably-cold temps 3-4 months of the year, uses a tremendous amount of road salt and I usually drove the car like I was going for the pole at Road America.

It would have been best if her car was warmed up thoroughly when you changed the oil but these results are still very encouraging.
cheers.gif

mike242GT, I was thinking the exact same thing. Moly, no boron and the oil sheared out of grade while still showing very little wear in an UOA. Yep, sounds like Castrol GTX.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Well you are supposed to sample hot. Can't say how it affects it but widman posted some CAT info and CAT said don't even bother analyzing oil that was sampled cold.

I can't see how the temp of the oil would influence the wear metals. The small particles that FTIR sees don't settle out. Water, glycol, and maybe fuel may separate out, though.

Forgot to mention another thing that would help give low numbers: We live in sunny San Diego where the temps rarely dip below 60F and temps rarely climb above 90F. The car is never idled to warm it up, always driven easily until it is warm and efforts are made to combine multiple short trips. I don't think that an engine can have it much easier.

We'll see how the M1 does after 7k miles, I'm hoping we may be able to run 10k miles per interval on this engine if the driving habits stay the same!

When I drive it, it sees full throttle, but I only drove it a couple times during the last oil change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back