Digital Torque wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html

This operates on the exact same principal as all the other micrometer adjustable torque wrenches. Except it's priced better. (I got mine with a coupon for $11.99). I bought one, set it, and torqued my lug nuts on both of my vehicles, (40 lug nuts total). I then checked them with a manual flexing bar type torque wrench that has the usual + - 4% "guarantee". It was right on the money. I've proven to myself that paying more for a torque wrench isn't going to buy you anymore repeatable accuracy.

It might be okay for what it is (occasional use home owner grade tools) but you cant compare that to quality split beam or any other quality tool for that matter.
I had my manoskop split beam checked after 10 years of real use and its still under 3% from the lowest setting to the highest.

I've got four or five Snap On split beams and two of them, I've had for a little more than thirty years. Never given me an ounce of trouble and whenever I've sent them in to have the calibration checked, I'd get them back saying they needed nothing.
I used to build big diesel generators and I can't even imagine using anything other than a clicker. I only want to have to look at a torque wrench when I'm setting drag on a bearing with a dial or something like that.

A friend of mine has a Hazet torque tester so I had him check just because of its age, like yours not needed. For bearing preload I use a small CDI dial type with memory needle, for the work I do I don't need more than a few Nm or in.lbs.

I bought a made in USA, calibrated with a certificate Gearwrench a few years ago. And was proudly torquing quite a few lug nuts on occasion. Until I threw it ina garbage bin a month ago. It simply broke. Never overworked in real production setting, and even in my humble experience: garbage in - garbage out.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
NDX,

When talking about torque accuracy, remember that the torque process can easily be off by +/- 25% due to many variables. So, the accuracy difference of a torque wrench of 2% vs. 4% is a moot point.

This, unless you are working at a facility that has some quality standards in place then it really dosent matter. Ive used Harbor Freight torque adapter and torque wrenches without issue and tested their accuracy they work great.

One thing when torquing is to never let the bolt/nut stop spinning that alone will reduce the error, when the bolt stops now you have static friction vs kinetic friction. So once you start getting close to the spec ratchet the wrench back so you can meet torque spec without stopping. If the wrench stops without clicking and then trying again makes it click well your under torqued.

When using any torque wrench click/digital..etc going fast is going to kill that ~2% accuracy easily, so if it matters slow down
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back