Differences in Auto Trans filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a trans filter for my 4l60e from the local parts place made in china from champ labs.I also bought the GM filter from the dealer at twice the price so could compare them.The chap filter is half metal,half plastic with a very thick looking spronge type material inside it.The GM filter is all plastic with a very thin layer of some type of orange colored material inside it.Anyone know which is really the better filter?I had the champ style filter in the 4l60e for 60k and when i dropped the pan the filter still looked clean like new.The old GM filter i took out the 1st time looked very dirty.I put the GM in this time but still wonder why at 50k the gm filter was dirty but 60k later the champ filter looks clean?

ps this forum looks funky now
smile.gif

I'd theorize the first filter collected the OEM build/breakin swarf. For the second OCI you had the trans cleaned out and since it's staying clean your trans is doing well. This was my experience on an old 700R4 (4L60's grandfather) in the 80s.
When they're running right they really don't generate much stuff to filter. And if it's making enough swarf to plug the filter something is going to fail anyway.

Well said.

But, it also makes you wonder if the aftermarket filter has worse filtering compared to the OE one. As long as the unit continues to function well, when you drop the pan again, you'll get your answer. Was it break-in wear in the 1st filter? of was the aftermarket filter pathetic? Post back in 50k!

well you paid twice the price for the filter from the dealer because it's the dealer. At cost the filter kits for the 4L60e filter kits are only like $10 more than your standard autostore kit. I've seen the differences, but IMO it's not really much of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back