Difference between bruschetta topping and pico de gallo?

I know the former is typically served on bread, but I usually have either as a side with meats. Are they basically the same? Diced tomatoes, onions, spices? Go through two tubs of this a week.

64767169002-005

Different. One is Italian and one is Mexican. Bruschetta is used on toasted garlic bread and usually just an appetizer.

There are many types of "bruschette" toppings. One of the most fascinating I've heard of is banana-sausage.
Here's a video that may be helpful in answering your question:

Reactions: GON
pico is basic but should always have cilantro which some folks don't like, in fact my entire family hates it but I cant get enough.

Bruschetta has finely diced Roma tomatos, Italian parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper and sometimes balsamic vinegar. Served on toasted thin Italian bread slices. Awesome.
Your painting a generalization with a rather broad brush.

There are many types of "bruschette" toppings. One of the most fascinating I've heard of is banana-sausage.

Are they a couple? I was thinking she would be a good match for AutoMechanic. Better than that tire changer from last year. She would feed him well.

I see you are on to my favorites.

The amazing thing when she was talking about sweet jam and blue cheese is I mentioned this to @GON some time back how I discovered this combination at a Hong Kong hotel breakfast ca 2000: Marmalade and blue cheese on a croissant.

I know the former is typically served on bread, but I usually have either as a side with meats. Are they basically the same? Diced tomatoes, onions, spices? Go through two tubs of this a week.

64767169002-005
Well nothing really. Bruschetta is "oiled bread" topped with something. There are "traditional" toppings which are similar to pico de gallo minus the onion and choice of herbs, but in reality it could be anything. Bruschetta is a way to use up stale bread. Kinda like how authentic "french toast" was made with very stale baguette.

Are they a couple? I was thinking she would be a good match for AutoMechanic. Better than that tire changer from last year. She would feed him well.
They are.

AM's system couldn't handle her food and cooking. I'd anticipate a trip to the ER if he were to eat a plate of her food.

The original "Bruschetta" eaten by the Butteri (Italian cow-boys) from Souther Tuscany & Northern Lazio regions consisted of Stale bread, olives, a clove of garlic which was rubbed into the Bread for taste and parsley IF available. All things readily found growing in the countryside, But like Neapolitan Pizza it took a life of its own and now you need a dollie to carry the bruschetta home, so laden it is with goodies.:eek:;)

The bruschetta I have had usually had chopped olives in it 🫒 along with tomato, onion and spices. I wonder if different regions of Italy make it different?

Then I’ve seen olive tapenade. Not sure what the difference is.

Your painting a generalization with a rather broad brush.
Hi Shel_B,
The recipe I shared is more of the classic style bruschetta many restaurants serve and I find in cook books and on tv. The different variations in the YouTube I've never had or heard of and I'm first generation in the US with both my parents being immigrants from Italy.
There must be a lot of regional variations.

It was also interesting the young ladies Italian accent was very heavy. Not a criticism because this means she speaks two languages! It was very noticeable to me because my parents along with my relatives and their friends from Italy did not speak with such a heavy accent.

Reactions: GON
Back