Didn't empty out all the old oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
1/2 a quart will make no difference in how your engine runs

I couldn't tell if I left an extra qt in there from the old oil. So, it was supposed to be 5 qt, but I think it could of been 6 or a little less (if some oil was burned). It should now hopefully close to 5.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am thinking opening the Fumoto valve on either of my Subaru vehicles would be simpler and more time efficient than an extractor. An extractor is fine for many uses where there is no drain plug. With a Fumoto valve I can go round up the oil, filter and filter while waiting for the oil to drain.

My concern with this is that the valve could get knocked open by road debris or hard snow/ice.

Also, I'm always afraid that wear and tear could eventually weaken the valve (leaving oil to spill all over the highway).

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Now I see how. You have no way of knowing how much is in the can with these- correct?

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie
Okay, without getting into a debate about drain vs extracting, I removed a little less than half a quart. I'm hoping it runs better now.

I'm using the Topsider MVP and I must have been slightly careless when removing it. First time it has happened when doing an OC.

Unless I have a car with less than 13k burning a qt after 3k. It is a Crosstrek, so hopefully that's not the case.

This is lumping all extractors in together, and using a cheaper ones to represent the tool.

The class leader for extractors is mityvac which does not have this problem and you can see through the collection tank. It's also embossed with measurements, but you can just sharpie on your own line for the specific for your vehicles. Now mityvacs may have their own issues and other problems but maybe due to defects rather than this basic usage problem.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Now that's not true for the most part. I never seen this with any of mine.
If they are in sound mechanical condition this shouldn't happen and you should be paying more attention as my units are clearly marked on the side how much oil you are extracting.

Are you saying the extractor is equally as effective as pulling the drain plug ?

I think he is, witch is a ridiculous statement but he's entitled to it.

So, I did one of my changes this week and I noticed that the engine was slightly off. I look at my dipstick and it's higher than it should be. I look at my old oil that I extracted and it seems like I only got a little over 4 qts (from what is normally 5 qts). So two questions.

1. How much should I extract to be safe: the full qt or half a qt?
2. Is it bad if some of the old oil mixed with new oil? It was only used for 3k (have to change it after 6 months regardless of the miles, because of the warranty).

I also use the Topsider MVP. I believe it gets all the oil out. I've used the extractor, then pulled the drain plug and not a drop came out.

I also overfilled the oil on my first extractor-used oil change. I did this essentially the same way you did. Now, I check level before changing, measure what came out, and put back in the correct amount.

For me, the extractor is gold, because I do not change the filter at every oil change. Makes oil changes to very, very easy this way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 07Piloteer
because I do not change the filter at every oil change.

What filter do you use? I'm running a second interval on a Fram TG.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 07Piloteer
because I do not change the filter at every oil change.

What filter do you use? I'm running a second interval on a Fram TG.

My manual calls for 7500 mile Oil change intervals, with the filter changed every other. I use the OEM 15400-PLM-A01 (not the A02) made by Filtech. Bought in bulk, they are just over $6 each. Im at about 131K on a 07 Pilot EX 4WD (not a VCM engine).

I use the extractor on all of my engines, 2 boat motors, lawn mower, snow thrower, etc. Greatest time/ mess saver ever.

Originally Posted By: daman
If they are in sound mechanical condition this shouldn't happen and you should be paying more attention as my units are clearly marked on the side how much oil you are extracting.

Are you saying the extractor is equally as effective as pulling the drain plug ?

I think he is, witch is a ridiculous statement but he's entitled to it.

It might depend on the car. Mercedes does it this way in the shop and many people report getting the same out out through the extractor as through the plug. I think one guy claimed he pulled the plug afterwards and no oil came out. I just like to use the plug because it's one less thing to own and store plus you can keep an eye on things under the car.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
... plus you can keep an eye on things under the car.

THIS here is the other major reason why I like to get underneath and drain the oil through the plug. While I'm under it, I can check the suspension, half-shafts, etc.. for wear, etc.. and look for fluid leaks.

I can also check to see if there's any damage from road debris, etc..

So, I did one of my changes this week and I noticed that the engine was slightly off.

Subies just sound like they're "slightly off." You'll get used to it. Or get a Honda.

^^^ and you cannot recognize a 4 cyl Honda starting on a cold day in any parking lot?
You haven't been listening then...................

Steve

I use one. I have used my extractor and THEN pulled the drain plug on an I 4 Camry. Just a few milliliters ran out. MIne is a TopSider.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
daman said:
.....It might depend on the car. Mercedes does it this way in the shop and many people report getting the same out out through the extractor as through the plug. I think one guy claimed he pulled the plug afterwards and no oil came out.....

That's been my experience. The fill quantity is 5.5 L and that's what I get out with the extractor. Maybe they designed the sump so the the extractor tube goes down to the lowest point. Wouldn't be rocket science to do that and given the drain plug boss, it's possible the extractor gets out more oil than the drain plug.

Have any of you Topsider people used it on a 2.4 Ecotec engine? I used it for several years on my W126 V8 Mercedes and the W202 4-cylinder MB, and had no troubles. But the 3800 V6 in the Park Avenue wasn't designed for that. If I'm going back to changing my own oil, draining from on top (where the Ecotec's filter is also located) seems to be the way to go. But naturally I'm reluctant to buy a Topsider until I know.

To the previous poster, the topsider should work if there's a dipstick slot. Subaru's generally have everything accessible from the top, so that's why I bought one (it's also held up very well after about 5 extractions and a year of use).

---

As for the topic, I swapped oil after about 600 miles and guess what... about 5.5 QTs came out. If I didn't take out some oil previously it would have been about 6 QTS!

Make sure you pump the extractor so there's enough pressure to get everything out (and measure afterwards!!).

I'm now running M1 EP 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: daman
Why not use the drain plug and get it all out the right way? I would never use one of those extractors even when they stop sucking there's oil left behind.

I agree. I don't see how a vacuum device can get as much oil out as pulling the drain plug, but to each his own.
Anyway, unless things have changed radically from the '96, '99 and '09 Subies I've had and changed the oil of, the drain plug is really easy to get to with no need to lift the car.
I know that the current engine is an entirely new design, but I'd doubt that Subaru ruined the good service accessibility of the older cars.
The problem the OP encountered would have been avoided had he simply ditched the extractor and pulled the drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back