Did Ford Backspec 5w30 from 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm old but I remember ford backspecing a ton of engines from 5w30 to 5w20, but not the 4.0

Originally Posted by Rand
Maybe I'm old but I remember ford backspecing a ton of engines from 5w30 to 5w20, but not the 4.0

Indeed, many 'o Ford engines got back-spec'd to 5w-20 back in the day (even the FI Ford 460), but the subject of the post is the other way around.

Wrong on all accounts.

Original f150 manual i 2011 shows 5w20:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11f12og1e.pdf

Every 3.5 eco was back spec'd to 5w30.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...rs-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_10_2014.pdf

Shows the 2015 flex 3.5 eco spec'd with 5w30.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by BobThe
My personal opinion is Ford designs everything for 5W-20, but the EB's were shearing 5W-20 down to damaging levels quickly and causing warranty claims that cost money.

So they back spec'd them to 5W-30 so they would end up shearing back to a 5W-20 quickly anyway.

Ford never Back specced the Ecoboost 3.5 to 5w30. The F150 ALWAYS was 5w30. Early 2009 and all 2010 AWD's got 5w20 in the transverse vehicles (SHO, MKT, MKS, Flex). They never got back-specced to 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
The Coyote stayed with 5w20.

Some exported Coyotes spec 5W-30 (Aussy for example).

Per my Friends in Dearborn . FORD PCMO specs are driven by new specs . Timing Chains get 5w-30 , Timing Belts get 5w-20 , no alternatives per FORD .

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

And do you live in Australia?

Originally Posted by dave1251

No, but you missed my point. Same engine as the US Coyote, but speced for 5W-30. What's that tell you?

The Coyote stayed with 5w20

I wonder if this is why Mustangs were blowing engines left and right?

Originally Posted by LEADED
Per my Friends in Dearborn . FORD PCMO specs are driven by new specs . Timing Chains get 5w-30 , Timing Belts get 5w-20 , no alternatives per FORD .

Makes sense.

Originally Posted by jorton
Yes, I think 4.0 is a German engine

Yup, as far as I know the 4.0L Cologne V6 (both the pushrod and OHC versions) maintained the 5W-30 (in older applications, 10W-30 for warmer temps) and unlike their other naturally-aspirated engines never back-spec'd 5W-20.

No, but you missed my point. Same engine as the US Coyote, but speced for 5W-30. What's that tell you?

It tells me if I owned that engine I wouldn't be using a 20 grade oil.
wink.gif

The answer was way back in the first post. In a select few applications, a change was made.

No blanket recommendation over the complete ford engine line was ever made.

The 4.0 SOHC is a NA engine that uses 5w30. (And was never backspecified to 5w20 or vice versa).

The 6.2L in the Superduties also uses a 5w30 oil, and I believe that change as made in model year 2016. They originally specified 5w20 oils in previous model years.

Originally Posted by eddy21
Euro spec is 5-30 , 5-20 is for EPA mileage boost .

Do you have a study backing this. Or does not typical useage conditions play a role?
Back in the late 1980s at Skyline J.C I took the continuing auto classes one of the instructors who worked at the GM school in San Leandro California had a night job.teaching F.I. and electronics , I knew this man for years I knew It would be a difficult class. GM was working in thinner oil for EPA CAFE and all sorts of things we are seeing claimed to be new today like the diesel gas type engines The Sky Active, turbos remember GM has a turboed Corvair air cooled engine in the middle 1960s. Fuel injection in the late 1950s etc. Pretty much everything is due to EPA regs. The Technology is all for mpgs, low emissions the Well Built engines for long smog compliance warranty. As a result we get 12 second 1/4 mile time cars that get 20+ miles per gallon with ease, Full size pick ups getting 16 to 25 MPGS with tons of towing power. I hate FI and the Electronics with a passion but their results are Staggering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jorton
Is there a normally aspirated, non- turbo model that's spec'd for 5w-30 in the USA?

My Wife's 2018 F350

But my Coyote calls for a 5W-20 and last I checked it has lots of timing chains as do both of my EB engines that call for 5w-30. Is there going to be a bulletin from Ford telling me to use a 5W-30 in my Coyote?

But my Coyote calls for a 5W-20 and last I checked it has lots of timing chains as do both of my EB engines that call for 5w-30. Is there going to be a bulletin from Ford telling me to use a 5W-30 in my Coyote?

I doubt it ... but lots of guys run 5W-30 in their Coyote with good results.

I doubt it ... but lots of guys run 5W-30 in their Coyote with good results.

My concern would be warranty coverage. I know I would be happier with a 5W-30 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back