DHL's New Electric Class 8 BYD Truck

DHL is piloting four BYD Class 8 battery-electric trucks in the Los Angeles market, just in time for the peak holiday shipping season.

Equipped with a comfortable air-ride cab and air suspension, the trucks have more than enough power and torque to operate at 82,000 lbs. combined weight. DHL plans to use the new trucks in the Los Angeles market, to haul goods to and from the DHL LAX Gateway and local service center facilities.

In addition, DHL Express has 72 all-electric battery-powered vans on order from multiple vendors, which will support DHL pickup and delivery operations throughout California and New York.

If it was my call, no way I would run a pilot with EVs or anything during peak volumes.
As some background, I ran a fleet of all electric CPG delivery Class 6 trucks.
Looks like some great advertising though .....

Virtue signaling. But then why not. ? It will promote development of the technology.

Last edited:
At 124 miles city range, they will be useful for delivering lots of cargo across town. Or to the next exit on the interstate.

The good news is that they can charge up overnight for another trip to the next exit.

The HP requirements of 80,000 pound trucks is well known. It takes about 300HP to go 70 at full load and 400HP at 80MPH.

With that in mind, the 400KWH, 8000 pound battery of the BYD can provide almost 1 hour of 80MPH operation. Of course, 800 or even 1,000 KWH batteries are possible and can provide 16,000 pounds of lost cargo capacity....

I guess the new California regulations will not allow a range extender on vehicles of this type? That sounds like what is needed.

Time to bring back the 20 Mule Team wagons for delivery. Just need hay and water.

It's pretty fascinating to review the charging loads. Consider what it takes to charge the "small" 400KWH battery (listed above) in one hour. Taking into account the common 20% losses in charger and battery charge efficiency (what comes out is not what goes in). A 200 amp circuit would require 2500 volts! or conversely a 2500A circuit would require 200V. Or any variation on that theme. But any way you slice it, the numbers are EPIC as is the wire size and the insulation will need to be stunningly good. Even with 3 phase powa, this is big time stuff.

It's pretty fascinating to review the charging loads. Consider what it takes to charge the "small" 400KWH battery (listed above) in one hour. Taking into account the common 20% losses in charger and battery charge efficiency (what comes out is not what goes in). A 200 amp circuit would require 2500 volts! or conversely a 2500A circuit would require 200V. Or any variation on that theme. But any way you slice it, the numbers are EPIC as is the wire size and the insulation will need to be stunningly good. Even with 3 phase powa, this is big time stuff.
Shannow got into the details of this on another post and it was incredible.

It's one thing to charge an already 75% charged Audi with a 95kWh battery at home on a 45A plug while you sleep. It's quite another to try and cram 400kWh into an OTR sized vehicle's pack in a short period of time when trying to replace an FF vehicle.

At 124 miles city range, they will be useful for delivering lots of cargo across town. Or to the next exit on the interstate.

The good news is that they can charge up overnight for another trip to the next exit.
Lots of freight trucks are run 24/7 I remember getting called in and the truck just came from Los Angeles to San Leandro California. Do a pre trip and hookup the trailers and go Salt Lake city.

The Volvo VNR Electric is designed for customer applications and driving cycles with local and regional distribution ranges, including food and beverage and pick-up and delivery routes. The 264-kWh lithium-ion batteries, which charge up to 80% within 70 minutes, have an operating range of up to 150 miles based on the truck’s configuration.

The electric driveline is a fully integrated, Volvo proprietary solution, rated at 455 horsepower and generating up to 4,051 lb-ft (5,492 N·m) of torque. The Volvo VNR Electric features a two-speed Volvo I-Shift transmission that delivers smooth and efficient acceleration with excellent startability and low-speed maneuverability. Models are offered in three configurations:

• Single-axle straight truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 33,200 lbs.
  • Two tractor configurations – 4x2 with a 66,000-lb. gross combination weight rating (GCWR) and 6x2 with an up-to 82,000-lb. GCWR in specific applications.

Back