Coming soon to a forest near you - Biocharger

Apologies for the other thread not having sufficient info or commentary...I thought that the joke was self evident.

Here's a new solution, from companies as respected and revered as Rolls Royce...a means to charge your electric buldozers, backhoes, trucks, and grappling hooks while eliminating all of the generated timber waste while you do it.

The Biocharger is an open topped furnace, with an "air curtain" to reduce the smoke (I've done it before on a burn can)...the hot gasses diverted to a closed cycle Rankine turbine to generate electricity where there are no power lines (yet).

1MW thermal to 100KW electic - 10% efficiency...quite a bit less than an operating diesel.

8 tonnes of wood turned into 100KWh of electricity, and 12-14 Tonnes of CO2 - per hour 120 Tonnes CO2 per MWh that's 120 times worse than a coal plant. ????

Honestly, an open fire in a remote forest setting...what could go wrong ?

Juan Brown shows one in action.

I'm not sure I see the joke. If you're going to burn the waste anyways, you might as well do something with the output.

Juan Brown shows one in action.

I'm not sure I see the joke. If you're going to burn the waste anyways, you might as well do something with the output.

That's just the combuster, not heat recovery...whereas if the wood were processed and taken to something like drax power station, there would be 60 times the energy recovered per tonne of wood.

Besides, if you are bulldozing forests for Re............gy, far less risk and footprint using a few 55 gallon drums of diesel per day.

That's just the combuster, not heat recovery...whereas if the wood were processed and taken to something like drax power station, there would be 60 times the energy recovered per tonne of wood.

Besides, if you are bulldozing forests for Re............gy, far less risk and footprint using a few 55 gallon drums of diesel per day.
Sure, I wasn't arguing for it by any means, but if you're going to burn the stuff on location as part of a cleanup, nothing wrong with turning at least part of it into something useful. He does show the 'energy conversion' one later in the vid.

1706079397545.jpg

Back