DEXRON®-HP spec (GMW16974) published

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: wirelessF

I wish the same could be said for Toyota's WS fluid. Toyotas AT's requiring WS went widespread in 2005 and even after 10 years there is no cheaper licensed alternative for people who want to change the ATF in their supposedly called "sealed lifetime transmissions."

Toyota and the Japanese in general do not "license" specs the way that American and Europeans do. They don't require formal licensing/approval for WS in the way that, say, Dexron does.

Just look for any ATF that says Toyota WS on the back and you'll be fine
smile.gif

The very popular Maxlife ATF will work great.

So basically anyone can just print WS on the label and you will take their word for it?

A buddy of mines is doing a few drain and fills with amsoil signature series dex VI fluid in Saturn aura the car is a 08 with 60k . He said once he finish doing his 3 drain and fills he's leaving that fluid in there. And never touch it again.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
There are LV dedicated MTFs available. Refer to my list.

I have tried almost all of the < 8.5 cSt @100* C MTFs on your list, and not ONE of them has shifted even close to as well as the Red Line D4 does in my T56.

Some shifted WAY worse than that ATF.
frown.gif
21.gif

IF I could get a hold of some of that Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75, I would try it as a 'last hope' for a protective, light weight, correct friction modifier containing, MTF.
Especially as it actually lists the Tremec T56 as one of the gearboxes it was designed for.
wink.gif

The subject of this thread is Dexron-HP.

If you want to complain about the problem child T56 please start a new thread.

Given Dexron-VI and Dexron-HP appear to be two seperate lines, to confirm, I'm assuming they are not exactly interchangable? Doesn't appear Dexron-VI is being phased out?

After doing some research on this, it appears GM has broken from tradition, and actually decided to spec a different ATF for a different trans application, instead of having a "one fluid fits all" ATF scheme. My guess is GM plans to keep D6 around for its lower cost where not necessary, and feed the 8SP the good stuff.

DEXRON-HP was originally formulated to give fuel economy improvement, which it does, particularly on the NEDC. It also has other benefits though and is the recommended fluid for some specific applications.

My understanding is that the different fluids correspond with the amount of torque transferred through the transmission. An 8 speed must handle a great amount of torque without slipping. Options of larger clutches take up too much room so the fluid is modified. Not better just different.

That may well be the reason that it is being used in some applications but that was not the primary reason for the fluid when it was first developed

Quote:
An 8 speed must handle a great amount of torque without slipping.

Not necessarily. You could have similar drive trains (same engine HP and torque, same differential) except for the tranny and have a 4, 6, or an 8-speed, tranny.

The eight speed tranny would have smaller steps between gears and thus can be controlled by a finer algorithm, offering fractional more mileage.

Quote:
Options of larger clutches take up too much room so the fluid is modified. Not better just different.

You can make the transmission case slightly longer and add more clutch disc/pressure plates along the longitudinal axis of the transmission, without changing the dynamic friction coefficients of the fluid.

Last edited:
Other than the big V8s, what engine fits to the 8L90? I believe these are the largest torque from GM. On related theme CVTs could not handle the higher torque of larger vehicles because of slippage.

It's rather off topic but your last statement is easily proved incorrect due to a belt CVT having run (but never raced) in a Formula One car.

Sorry, that's for DWC28.

Last edited:
Look at the history of CVT in ordinary automobiles. They were always in small vehicles. This is due to the small amount of torque to cause them to break away or slip. Also why they were late arriving to the US, Big torque cars. Same effect in the big engines hooked to the eight speed transmissions. In first gear with heavy loads, transmissions slip. Look at the requirements for static breakaway coefficient in ATFs .

I'm not getting into this because A) It's way off topic B) There is no point in discussing it with someone that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I think I can help you with that.

KV 100C 5.95 cSt, KV 40C 28.1 cSt, BV @ -40C 5,000 cP, CCS -25C 978 MPa-s, CCS -30C 1520 MPa-s.

Minimum spec means that any fluid wanting to be approved as a DEXRON HP fluid must be at least as good as the original approved product in ALL respects.

Just received my GMW 16974 specification dated July 2013 It lists KV 100C 6.4 cSt max. KV 40C 32 cSt max. base oil 4.5 cSt min. BV @ -40 8,000 cP Spec is titled GM WORLDWIDE ENGINEERING STANDARDS Material Specification GMW16974 DEXRON High Performance Automatic Transmission FLuid (DEXRON HP-ATF)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But, updated info:

1) My 2017 Chevy Bolt EV (all electric car) specs Dexron HP. Because range is such a big deal in electrics, I can believe they did it for the ~1% increase in range.
2) My 2015 Chevy Volt (EV, until the battery goes flat, then the engine fires up) specs Dexron VI.
3) GM says that Dexron HP is backwards compatible, so I guess I could use it to give the Volt 1% more range. (Big freakin' deal, right?)
4) The price for this magic elixir (GM Part Number 19353429) is in the $12 per quart online range. So, it's come down.

Only discovered this fluid today, looking at checking Tx levels in the Colorado...

About 8 mins in, there are three Dexrons, and an M1 recommendation for cars with shudder in torque converter lockup.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Only discovered this fluid today, looking at checking Tx levels in the Colorado...

About 8 mins in, there are three Dexrons, and an M1 recommendation for cars with shudder in torque converter lockup.

You make a point of saying there is no "T" in Dex(t)ron.

So, there's no "E" in Mobil(e) either.

I've looked up the Dexron ULV - the GM parts online websites (for part number 19352619) say it's discontinued. Any idea what the 10 speed transmission is supposed to use now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back