Dexos1 Gen2 and Timing Chain Wear Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why when they can use customers as ginueapigs and then close more production plants when they pee off customers and sales slide. Worked for them for decades and the government will always right them a cheque to right the ship.

It's just business after all.

lol.gif

This timing chain wear stuff has been
some of the most interesting information
I've read on BITOG lately.

It is counter intuitive that such small
sooty particles would be the problem.

We've been waiting for GF 6 for so long.

I am planning on taking my timing chain out and bake it for 3 hours @ 270°F this summer!
50.gif

Timing chain issues have plagued the 3.6L GM engine. My wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS has one of those in it. GM calls for Mobil 1 5w30 for that motor. All that car has primarily gotten is Pennzoil conventional 10w30. Nary a timing chain or any other issue with that motor. 13 year old car and we are keeping it. I have long since paid very little attention to the dexos thing, even with my 2015 Silverado.

The conclusion I've come to on timing chains is that thicker is better. dexos1 gen2 does provide a test that has to be passed, but everything I've read seems to point to viscosity being the answer.

I'm no expert so take it FWIW

It may be the thicker the base oil the better...for example if your primary concern was the timing chain, a good 10w30 would likely be a better choice than say a high VI 0w30 or 5w30. At least that is the way I understand it, assuming the overall quality of the oil was similar.

Originally Posted by JAG
This study was posted before which showed that zinc from ZDDP encourages chemical wear of timing chains. Molybdenum compounds and borated organic friction modifiers decreased wear. Soot and/or acids increase wear.
https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STL...0Role%20Additive%20Chemistry%20Plays.pdf

Very informative. Thanks JAG for posting that link.

What is interesting is how the manufacturers are using alloys or coatings on these new chains and how certain oil components react with those elements. Moly gets the nod as a crucial component.

Thanks for the links JAG.

As TiredTrucker points out, the high moly Pennzoil conventional 10w30 will work just fine in the GM 3.6L.

For better wear protection, use a Dexos2.

Originally Posted by tig1
I have never had timing chain wear as for as I know. Some engines over 300K.

That is because you change your oil . Some engines are better designed than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back