Dexos1 Gen 3 Tests Available Sept. 1

"GM said the new spec will include all of the engine tests for the ILSAC GF-6 passenger car engine oil specification, with the exception of Sequence IIIH, which will be replaced by the GM oxidation and deposit test. This test will have stricter limits than the Sequence IIIH, as will GM’s requirements for the Sequence VH sludge test. Many Dexos1 Gen 2 test methods will be carried over, including a low-speed pre-ignition test and a test for turbocharger deposits, both at tighter limits."

"Other limits, including Noack volatility and sulfated ash, will also be tightened."

interesting after I stock up on 2-3 years of oil..

oh well I have plenty of other engines to use the rotella gas truck in. if I want dexos1 gen3 in my turbo gdi.
the hemi and the port injected hyundai would never notice the difference.

on side note could they make the naming more complicated.
dexos 1, dexos 2, dexos 1 gen 2, dexos 1 gen3
whats next dexos2 gen 2?

"GM said the new spec will include all of the engine tests for the ILSAC GF-6 passenger car engine oil specification, with the exception of Sequence IIIH, which will be replaced by the GM oxidation and deposit test. This test will have stricter limits than the Sequence IIIH, as will GM’s requirements for the Sequence VH sludge test. Many Dexos1 Gen 2 test methods will be carried over, including a low-speed pre-ignition test and a test for turbocharger deposits, both at tighter limits."

"Other limits, including Noack volatility and sulfated ash, will also be tightened."

NOACK limits tightened... Over the 15% GF-6 or the current ACEA/Gen 2 limit?

I had heard it would be 12% which still gives the possibility that a well built GII+/GIII+ 5W-30 Blend could qualify but I highly doubt a 0W-20 makes the grade without being at least GIII/GIII+.

I generally don't stock up for reasons like this, although they are usually spaced far apart between each upgrade. My cars also don't need anything special as both are pretty easy on oil.

I'm impressed Mobil 1 EP met SP/GF-6 without a formulation change, at least per MSDS of the 0w20. They stay ahead of the game.

I generally don't stock up for reasons like this, although they are usually spaced far apart between each upgrade. My cars also don't need anything special as both are pretty easy on oil.

I'm impressed Mobil 1 EP met SP/GF-6 without a formulation change, at least per MSDS of the 0w20. They stay ahead of the game.

That’s a good reason to stick with M1. They have a habit of being ahead of the curve on these things.

Contrary to what many claim I think most majors top tier oils like M1 EP, Castrol EP and PUP are better than built to the minimum required to pass the current test.

I had hypothesized that all M1 EP would have to do for the upgrade to 20,000 mi drains was change the label. It appears that at least in 0W-20 that may have been the case. It makes the reason AP failed more apparent. EP is simply to good to pay nearly double for AP for most consumers.

At $2.47 a qt after rebate it's a steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
interesting after I stock up on 2-3 years of oil..

oh well I have plenty of other engines to use the rotella gas truck in. if I want dexos1 gen3 in my turbo gdi.
the hemi and the port injected hyundai would never notice the difference.

whats next dexos2 gen 2?

When do you plan on buying a 2022 or newer car? GM won't require d1g3 until the 2022 model year :)

When do you plan on buying a 2022 or newer car? GM won't require d1g3 until the 2022 model year :)

well as I alluded to I might use the rotella Gas truck in my turbo gdi that spec's a pennzoil only ms-13340 motor oil spec..
M1 specifically states they dont make an oil for my jeep.
just looking at options.

I can use up the 100quarts in 3 other vehicles.. if I decide I want something else in the 270hp 2L turbo gdi jeep.

an oil that meets higher requirements can only be a good thing. Yes current syn oils might easily exceed it already.. but we just dont know.

well as I alluded to I might use the rotella Gas truck in my turbo gdi that spec's a pennzoil only ms-13340 motor oil spec..
just looking at options.

I can use up the 100quarts in 3 other vehicles.. if I decide I want something else in the 270hp 2L turbo gdi jeep.

an oil that meets higher requirements can only be a good thing. Yes current syn oils might easily exceed it already.. but we just dont know.

I've seen Pennzoil and Motul. Who else makes an oil tested to that Spec?

just looking at options.

an oil that meets higher requirements can only be a good thing.

LOL or just more unbelievable Hype

The question being are the standards really relevant?

That is the question isn't it.
Can standards that require lower NOACK and TEOST nunbers, reduced timing chain wear and reduced LSPI incidents really be relevant in the real world? Guess we will find out.

So far the standards appear to have improved quality overall. Of course the past is no guarantee of the future.

Last edited:
whats next dexos2 gen 2?

Not really complicated.

dexos1 - for gasoline engines
dexos2 - mainly for diesel engines (doesn't have LSPI formulation)

Gen1 superseded by Gen2
Gen2 superseded by Gen3
etc

Not really complicated.

dexos1 - for gasoline engines
dexos2 - mainly for diesel engines (doesn't have LSPI formulation)

Gen1 superseded by Gen2
Gen2 superseded by Gen3
etc

I guess I'd like to see something easier such as dexos 1.1 or 1.3 similar to hdmi cables etc.
its very easy to see dexos 1 gen 2 and call it dexos 2.. not by us.. but the general public.

Back