Developing a New Twin-Turbo V8, According to These Patents

Patents are often filed for strategic reasons so no one should hold their breathe that this engine sees the light of day. It may or may not ever get made. It can send competitors on a wild good chase trying to develop something to go up against it costing time and resources...

I don't think it will be put under the hood of anything any time soon. I would hate to see payload numbers if that's dropped in to their half-ton. It could be a "Raptor" or "RAM TRX" type deal where those trucks are not used for frequent towing duties anyway.

Interesting. The article and the document call it a supercharger and not a turbo.

SkyActiv X V8?
Traditionally superchargers were powered by the crankshaft by gear or belt and turbochargers by the exhaust, now it's a bit murky.
Generally a turbo is cheaper to build than a supercharger, but it depends. Also a supercharger will give more power (torque) at low RPMs whereas a Turbo more at higher RPMs.

With the CAFE fools in control?

Expecting gasoline to disappear before a boosted V8 shows up in a Tundra or AWD Camry TRD.

Maybe Lexus is planning some $200k toy for a limited run...

Traditionally superchargers were powered by the crankshaft by gear or belt and turbochargers by the exhaust, now it's a bit murky.
Generally a turbo is cheaper to build than a supercharger, but it depends. Also a supercharger will give more power (torque) at low RPMs whereas a Turbo more at higher RPMs.
Perhaps in the 80s.

Since Toyota and BMW have been working together on various projects over the years I wonder if this iteration is an improvement on the BMW design? That's a lot of heat inside the "V".

Maybe a patent covering an arrangement of controls for sequential turbos. Patent coverage is normally taken after initial prototypes have been built. But it can still be a long way from production.

the claims appear generic and not limited to a v8, directed to oiling passages. the v8 could have been chosen simply for an example engine to support the claims. e.g., if you wanted to patent a new type of table leg, you might show a picture of a rectangular table in your patent application, but that doesn’t mean you are going to build rectangular tables - it just means you chose a rectangular table as an example to show how your inventive table leg works.

Now I have to say turbo-supercharger? Ugh. There was a time when we said "turbo" and "blower," and everyone knew exactly what we were talking about. Why can't we keep things simple...

Now I have to say turbo-supercharger? Ugh. There was a time when we said "turbo" and "blower," and everyone knew exactly what we were talking about. Why can't we keep things simple...
People still know exactly what you're talking about or they just don't care.

Same as ever.

Patents are, as discussed, have you ever looked at Formula 1 engines you should. I am sure that back in the day Turbochargers through intercoolers were used to feed SuperChargers cooled compressed air so that the mechanical drag would be less.

Back