Delvac reduced oil burning in VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2003 Vw Golf. They have low tension piston rings and are known to burn a little oil.
Factory turns a blind eye to this unless consumption gets worse than 1 Litre per 1000 kms.
Mine was nowhere near this but I still had to check and top up a couple of times, between oil changes.
Since break, in the vehicle has exclusively used Mobil 1, 0w-40.
As the temp never gets colder than 32°F, I decided to switch to Delvac 1, 5w-40. Since changing 500 kilometres ago, no oil has been used at all.
Motor feels exactly the same.

thanks for the results. Good info!

Doesnt mean that the 0w-40 isnt a great oil, or that it wont give great results in other applications, just not yours.

This to me is one of the best things that we can take away from this website: all oils are good, but certain oils do better in certain engines. Only real life results like this and UOA can help to make good judgements for our applications.

Can you provide info on your driving profile, driving style, etc?

Thanks!

JMH

"This to me is one of the best things that we can take away from this website: all oils are good, but certain oils do better in certain engines"

I agree 100%. Good point.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Can you provide info on your driving profile, driving style, etc?

JMH

I have been very happy with M1,0w-40. No noise at startup, no lifter noise.....all in all an excellent product. I was just concerned about the oil burning and excess carbon build up in the cylinders and catalytic converter problems down the road.
Car gets steady freeway 120 kph ( around 70 mph ) for 70% of the time. Rest is city stop and go.
Terry gave me a good report on the M1,0w-40 and I have nothing but good to say on that.

Nosmo king,

I would say: "I TOLD YOU SO" but ...
wink.gif

Delvac 1 is far and away the superior product - for applications requiring a true 40wt oil.

TS

Hi,
German car vehicle manufacturers (car/truck/bike) have long had maximum oil use figures either in the Driver's Handbook or via Service Bulletins. "Long" means for at least 50 years that I knoe of
Typically they are 1.5lts/1000kms or a oil use formulae based of fuel used. They EXPECT their engine to consume some oil!

Zero oil consumption is not a good idea (I have three German cars that do NOT consume a drop even out to 20k kms (12k miles) - adding oil "rejuvenates" the existing sump oil

Many diesel engine makers are working towards zero oil changes via planned oil consumption, oil conditioning units, oil monitoring devices and etc

Expect it to happen - we already have some engines on extended test here in OZ!

Delvac 1 5w-40 has a well known reputation for minimising oil consumption in many engine types

Regards
Doug

Doug,

I'm thinking we need to hammer out our creative differences in one of those seaside bars in Bali?
Maybe even toss some shrimp on the "barbie"!

My 25 yrs of experience with VW/Audi 4/5 cylinder engines (including a leased 2.0L, '97 Jetta ), has been extremely low oil consumption, but who knows about some of the newer models....

Too-tired-to-B-slick
wink.gif

Later!

Hi Ted,
I can't meet you in Bali!

About half of Australia is in jail there at the moment on Drugs charges. Can you imagine me slipping my bag through Customs with some Elve's brew and Delvac 1 - and a pump and a group of sample bottles - it would be jail forever!!!

Now Portofino would be great or our Hamilton Island near the Great Barrier Reef (about 20mins from where I live). Name the place and time and I'm sure all BITOG "Fellows" will fund the exchanges

Incidently my first (of two) Audi was an 80 about 1970 as I recall - I have a soft spot for Audis and nearly purchased a new TT recently

Regards Ted
Doug

Doug,
This is my seventh VW and the first that consumed any oil.
Yes I have had problems with valve guide seals in the past, but apart from that, 6 of them ran 20w-50, never consumed a drop between changes. 1 litre per 2000 kms ( approx what I am getting )seems very extreme to me and if I can reduce this with a viscosity change, I will.
I like the idea of the '0' in 0w-40 and understand its advantages. However I also understand that 5 years down the road, someone might have to pay for the replacement of an expensive catalytic converter and a de coke, due to the oil burning residue that is building up.

Nosmo King - probably the great majority of German car engines have an acceptable (and low) oil consumption

Shssss - don't tell anyone but I have owned 16 German cars (6 VW-Audi, 6 MB, 2 Porsche, 2 BMW) and none has consumed significant oil between changes

The point that I was confirming is that German engine makers are very comfortable with some oil usage. Sadly most users are not - oil use at levels confirmed in the ACEA's test protocols will maintain the normal expectancy life of components including CATs - regardsless of what the doom-makers say

My heavy diesels average 1ltr/6kkms for whole of life (0k to sale at 1.2m kms) on Delvac 1 5w-50
They always used more (average 1ltr/3kkms) on Castrol's excellent (now superceded) Enduro LD 15w-50 - a semi synthtetic 15w-40 HDEO

In the area where I live (Tropics) a 0w-40 oil is not needed and I prefer 5w-40 lubricants

Regards
Doug

For awhile in 2000 and 2001 VW had MAJOR oil consumption problems with the 2.0. My wife's 01 Beetle was one of them. The main culprits VW never owned up to were rings that were installed wrong to bad block castings. You had to know someone within VW to get a new engine or at least a rebuild because VW said nothing was wrong when anyone that knew anything about engines knew otherwise. People even took the issue as high up the VW food chain as possible and were shot down. This was a real problem that they seemed to take care off because you don't hear too much about this on the VW forums anymore-at least regarding newer 2.0s. My wife's 04 2.0 Jetta doesn't use a drop of oil and it is the SAME exact engine as her 01.

UPDATE

Since starting this post a few days ago, I have added another 500 kms and the oil level is still at the top.
With M1, 0w-40 I would have been down 1/2 litre by now. Very interesting.

I been using Delvac 1 in my mothers 01 2.0L Beetle. It has never burned any oil since day one. The engine really likes the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back