Defence spending in Canada coming closer to 2% of GDP

Also, I just want to point out that Canada has nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of when it comes to military valor. They've answered the call and sent their men and boys to fight and die in every major conflict from WWI to Desert Storm.
100_0012.JPG

I was pleased to see this tribute to Canadians who had made the ultimate sacrifice serving with American forces in Vietnam.

Fargo Air Museum, March 2005

That they are. In WWII, over 10% of the population of Canada was directly involved the war, either by enlisting directly in the military, or working in the merchant marines, etc, putting them on equal footing with the USA in terms of participation.
Of note, Canada entered WWII two+ years sooner/ earlier than the U.S.

That they are. In WWII, over 10% of the population of Canada was directly involved the war, either by enlisting directly in the military, or working in the merchant marines, etc, putting them on equal footing with the USA in terms of participation.
The Canadian troops took a beating at Dieppe in 1942, a disaster at the time, but later given the face-saving name "Rehearsal for D-Day". The Brits, of course, had already suffered badly at Dunkirk in 1940. Partly as a result of those earlier incidents, the American troops were assigned the harder Normandy beaches (Utah and Omaha) for D-Day.

My dad landed on Juno, the Canadian beach, on D+2 as a 20-year-old. The Brit beaches were Gold and Sword.

Back