Dealing with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Get a 6-7 week-old puppy instead. Then teach the dog accordingly to your wishes and commands. It's tough to teach a mature dog behavior demands. Tricks on the other hand, can be taught to any dog most times.

A mature dog that refuses to listen to your commands, or be wary of your physical presence and moves, could make you even more depressed eventually. I recommend a smallish puppy-dog (terrier) to pursue. The German Miniature Schnauzer is highly intelligent, energetic, playful and responds magnificently to commands. BUT..... what's more important than a companion dog, is a companion person in your off-work hours. I would like to know more about that first.

If you ever desire another ear to battle your depression, PM me anytime. Because I deal with intuitiveness, clairvoyancy, mediumship.....etc....etc, I generally keep my PMs here OFF. But I will activate it today and respond to any of your emails, if necessary. Just be aware that I have never transmitted my healing gift via telephones or emails before. Yours would be my 1st-ever and I'm curious to see if my recommendations work.

No telephone/email healer here, like seen often on TV or radio....
crazy2.gif

Because other members will respond negatively to this post / comment, I will not return to this thread.
Either way Adam, best wishes to you this Holidays Season.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. Need to go to the humane society and look some.

Good idea, My dogs perk me up no matter what! Though I don't care for older dogs with bad habits.

Dogs wind up being like oil. Started with one, a small 0w20. S.A.M., Secret Agent Man.
Got another, a nice 10w30, Brinkley. A beautiful miniature Goldendoodle.
Now up to 3, a heavy 20w50, Mollie. A very stout, big Bernedoodle.
They're happy as heck, I'm sad picking up all the poo.
I want my dogs life: Premium food, sleep a lot, belly rubs, walks. They have a butt sniffin' time for sure.

Please go talk with a professional. Lots of folks have the blues, and there are many options. Let them help sort you out.

Last edited:
Good evening folks. Lately, I have been somewhat depressed and drinking a bit more. Not a problem, but just been depressed for some reason. I enjoy being able to cut and post filters and enjoy the Autozone clearances. I have been reading more and watching less tv other than ROKU streaming.

No good pal, what's going on in the past few weeks or months that lead up to feeling depressed? I am in the same boat as you but haven't took to the bottle. you definitely need to push on your hobbies and things to keep the mind occupied like cutting into filters and browsing the clearance sales. I am suffering from seasonal depression and that I have been out of work for a few months. I been getting out and stopping by the local thrift shops to find old speakers, radios and lamps that I like to tinker with.

I don't mean this in a bad way but lighten up on the bottle your mind will think clearer and you'll get through your spout of depression sooner.

feel better and happy holidays.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Sorry to hear you're going through this. Some good suggestions have already been made, but I'd like to add this:

There are days when I find myself feeling pretty low. On these days, I find that picking up, holding, just spending some time with one or many of my cats really helps bring me 'back to center' so to speak and lift my spirits. If you don't already have a pet, it might be worthwhile to get one. If you do have a pet (or multiple), when you find yourself feeling down, spend some quality time with them and remember that you enrich their lives probably as much as they enrich yours.

I have been thinking of adopting a dog. Need to go to the humane society and look some.

DO this!!!! Get the oldest dog there, or the one thats been there for the longest! Save a life and imporve your tremendously!!!!

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Quit watching the news.

Before we flew to the US in 2014, I realised that me son (then 9) was getting very very anxious...we tried to find out why...he was worried about plane crashes, terrorists, everything to do with the trip.

Then I realised...when I was a kid, mornings were cartoons...Sunday was Disneland...news was only 6--7:30 PM, then an hour of current affairs at 8PM...and that was if Dad watched the entirety of the news services available to him (and he did).

Now, it's 24/7...bad news...but not in this house.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON Shannow!!

Just like you said,as little kids Saturday mornings were cartoons surrounded by our favorite toys,parents making HUGE breakfasts,anxious to hurry outside to play with our neighborhood friends. I bet you're an awesome dad with a beautiful family!

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Go to a few AA meetings, you may feel better,,lots of folks far worse off out there....

One of my dear life long friends just celebrated 30 years clean and sober and he always tells me that I am more screwed up emotionally than 90% of the people that he meets at the AA meetings! I acknowledge by saying Just because I don't drink or do drugs doesn't mean i am not screwed up., I hate my self in other ways. We then agree.

After reading this thread in its entirety, I can honestly say I am honored to be a member of this forum with people such as yourselves. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it. Having said that, my heart hurts that anyone should have to deal with this. Other than having a bad day once in a while I don't believe I've ever been where StevieC is at. I pray he can defeat this demon and come out of it an even stronger, better person than he already is. God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Lose the booze. When I first retired, I indulged in a slug of dark rum in my first cup of coffee.It was a slippery slope.. My liquor consumption peaked at a handle of rum and a 5th of Scotch a month. Not a huge amount but significant. I drink, I enjoy a good buzz on rare occasions. But steady consumption isn't my way. My only regret about Celexa 40mg is that I didn't find it sooner. I've been on it for 9 yrs. The only side effect I had was that my cheeks ached from smiling. Lack of daylight, only 9hrs, 5 mins on the solstice is also a factor. I also no longer watch or read about violence and warped sickos. That includes news. Note the big grin emoticon.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
AZjeff said:
Best advice was to get some professional help to at least learn what's going on. Then do everything else in this thread.

Get professional help FIRST. Then take the suggestions from us duffers second.

The LAST thing I'd do is get so called "professional help" for something like depression. Guaranteed, they will push the anti-depressant psychotropic drugs on you: Zanax, Zoloft, etc, You know. the ones that give suicidal thoughts and make people go on shooting rampages.

Also, you'll get a mental health diagnosis on your medical record that can come back to haunt you in all sorts of negative ways in the future.

My roommate/friend didn't want to get professional help or medication of any kind either. I found him hanging from an extension cord in our hallway 2 years ago. I wish I could have convinced him to try to get help. If I go off my antidepressants I'm feeling like I want to die within a week.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted by Al
AZjeff said:
Best advice was to get some professional help to at least learn what's going on. Then do everything else in this thread.

Get professional help FIRST. Then take the suggestions from us duffers second.

The LAST thing I'd do is get so called "professional help" for something like depression. Guaranteed, they will push the anti-depressant psychotropic drugs on you: Zanax, Zoloft, etc, You know. the ones that give suicidal thoughts and make people go on shooting rampages.

Also, you'll get a mental health diagnosis on your medical record that can come back to haunt you in all sorts of negative ways in the future.

Please don't discourage people from getting professional help. Antidepressants get a bad rap. Their link to suicide is because some people don't feel up to even killing themselves until antidepressants raise them up enough to take action. I volunteer for NAMI and people who are afraid to seek professional help can get into big trouble fast.

Originally Posted by csandste
Rock_Hudstone said:
[Please don't discourage people from getting professional help. Antidepressants get a bad rap. Their link to suicide is because some people don't feel up to even killing themselves until antidepressants raise them up enough to take action.

I didn't mean to say never ever seek help, simply try the easy stuff first; Lifestyle changes, sun exposure, vitamin supplements. etc.

Leave the psychotropic pill pushers as the last resort instead of the other way around.

Oh, another thing to consider; low T levels can have big impact on mood, perhaps visit a mens clinic for an evaluation.
I'd much rather go on low T hormone replacement therapy than anti-depressants the rest of my life

If you go to the humane society to get a dog, avoid any dog that has previously been adopted and returned. Such dogs have serious bad habits and can be much more trouble than they are worth.

Maybe OP is just kind of bored with his life / current situation ?

Sometimes people get into a rut and feel kind of down and need a change...

Quote:
"Leave the psychotropic pill pushers as the last resort instead of the other way around."

I agree 100000000%

Hey Big guy.......... I feel your pain!
That depression your feeling is caused by "Seasonal Affective Disorder".......very common this time of year.
Don't fight it, but recognize it as a common disorder affecting many a person.
Just know that this too, shall pass!

Hey, I see in your profile that you enjoy spending time with your Nephews......do they live nearby? If so, grab them and teach them about how you go about cutting open filters and what to look for when they are open. In fact, next time you do work on your or any of your friends car, have them get a little dirty. They probably will enjoy creeping under the cars, opening the drain plug, replacing the filter, and filling the Oil.
Just a suggestion!

On a side note, you will be included in my Sunday prayers tomorrow.
Hope you feel better soon.

Ebbs and flows baby, ebbs and flows!!

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone

Leave the psychotropic pill pushers as the last resort instead of the other way around.

+10000! YES

Originally Posted by csandste

Please don't discourage people from getting professional help.

OTOH shrinks and chemical lobomy pills aren't First Aid, either. Encouraging someone to first take responsibility for the well-being of their own mentality isn't a bad thing. This whole guardianistic 'daddy knows best' approach is a trap of mental futility which only leads to paying those laying in wait, looking for external answers and trusting everyone but yourself.

If anyone is visiting deep, dark and extreme places, make sure that you come back with new, useful lessons and strengths that will help you rationalize, and in turn make you immune from such depths in the future. Turn dark times into useful times; don't let them just keep happening and serving no purpose. Face the demons directly and transcend their influence by any means, so that you're a better person from that point on. Never habituate. Habituation and accepting is not the same as transcending! Believe them when they say booze and hard drugs will have a baleful effect and best avoided.

Originally Posted by J.B.P.
You need to persue something more than happiness.
If happiness comes along then hooray for you, [go ahead and enjoy it] because it's fleeting
but it's much better to persue things that are meaningful rather than things that make you happy

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Hey Big guy.......... I feel your pain!
That depression your feeling is caused by "Seasonal Affective Disorder".......very common this time of year.
Don't fight it, but recognize it as a common disorder affecting many a person.
Just know that this too, shall pass!

Hey, I see in your profile that you enjoy spending time with your Nephews......do they live nearby? If so, grab them and teach them about how you go about cutting open filters and what to look for when they are open. In fact, next time you do work on your or any of your friends car, have them get a little dirty. They probably will enjoy creeping under the cars, opening the drain plug, replacing the filter, and filling the Oil.
Just a suggestion!

On a side note, you will be included in my Sunday prayers tomorrow.
Hope you feel better soon.

The nephews live near Carlisle PA or Boiling Springs to be exact; between Mechanicsburg and Carlisle and are great to be around.

Last edited:
I don't know too much about PA........is that close?
Anyway, when the situation arises, grab them and teach them with your knowledge. It will spike their interest in this " Thing of ours".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back