Dealers, UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Preventative maintenance is absurd? Changing fluids is absurd on BITOG now?

I have said this before-I will say it again. There is more OCD on this forum and more money being unnecessarily flushed on "over maintenance" here on BITOG than ANYWHERE else on the Internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: CKN
Most dealers use a flush type system to service transmission. It's faster-and leaves no liability for when they have to drop a pan and potential for leaks.

Changing transmission fluid at 9,000 miles is absurd.

Your comments are absurd. Dealers want to "flush" cars that have dipsticks and drain plugs too.

There is more wear particles in that 9000mile fluid than will be produced in the next 50000 miles.. so why not change it early. Hardly absurd.

That's because they can't get all the fluid out with just a drain plug.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Changing transmission fluid at 9,000 miles is absurd.

Agreed. OP, if you want to throw money away, I'll send you my address.

Well maybe some of us PURCHASE our vehicles with the intention of keeping them long past the warranty period. I'm that person. If you keep throwing your money away every few years on a "new" vehicle that's your choice, it's cheaper to keep, especially if you like the vehicle.

Whimsey

I kept my E83 X3 for over 193k miles. I did a drain and fill of the ATF every 60k miles- and never touched the filter. Last I heard it was still going strong. I sure wish I had changed the ATF at 9k- no telling how long it would have lasted I guess my E90 3er, F22 2er, and R55 Clubman are are doomed...

Gf's Mustang has this weird drain/fill combo plug on the very bottom of the tranny that has to be done via machine. It has no upper level fill plug and no dipstick. Worst design I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Gf's Mustang has this weird drain/fill combo plug on the very bottom of the tranny that has to be done via machine. It has no upper level fill plug and no dipstick. Worst design I've ever seen.

I hate those, I had to service an Exploder like that one time. Some of our Chryslers are like that only the fill plug is on the side.

I have said this before-I will say it again. There is more OCD on this forum and more money being unnecessarily flushed on "over maintenance" here on BITOG than ANYWHERE else on the Internet.

I thought it was just an American thing, they do it on other forums too. The rest of the world are like whaaaaat ??? You topped up with a different oil, and now you want to drop it all out? Love to be selling oil over there.

Originally Posted By: Silk

I thought it was just an American thing, they do it on other forums too. The rest of the world are like whaaaaat ??? You topped up with a different oil, and now you want to drop it all out? Love to be selling oil over there.

Oh go on. If you grew up with good oil being a 'buck fiddy' a q-wart (is that like 1/252nd of a hogshead or something?) you'd probably change it as often as your underpants too!

The rest of the world pays real money for fluids and we change it when it needs changing (sometimes well after it needed changing) because it's either a couple of litres of oil or a nights drinking at the pub (and those are Imperial pints).

ps. I was pleasantly surprised when I googled the hogshead to quart calculator that it didn't offer me the choice of a US or Imperial hogshead. Apparently that one is a *standard*.
whistle.gif

I don't think Whimsey was looking for opinions on his maintenance schedule, just a rant on his dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes the OP happy- that is all that matters.
So many people change their motor oil here 3x in a 1000 miles.
9K on a tranny compared to that is poor maintenance!

Changing the ATF early on, is a prudent thing to do. Yes, things have improved quite a bit as far as manufacturing cleanliness and the quality of machined surface finishes go, but break in still happens.

Also, I'm not surprised the dealer did not want to touch it, although could've spared the OP a bunch of nonsense. This sort of thing has to be DYI-ed or done by an indy.

Below is a nice post by Jim Allen as to why it's prudent (not to be confused with required) to change the ATF early on in its life.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3068967

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
According to Abe Khalil and John Eleftherakis, two engineer/tribologists who have been studying automatic transmissions and ATF since the '80s, 75 percent of the harmful debris generated in an automatic over its operating life comes from the manufacturing process and break in. After sampling the oil in thousands of automatics in service, they found that the average trans with 70K or more miles that has not had a service contains approximately 263 mg/l (milligrams per liter) of contaminants, 90 percent of which is metallic. Of those metallic particles, 51 percent are ferrous (iron/steel), 21 percent copper, 11 percent aluminum and 7 percent lead. The particles range in size from 5 to 80 microns, about 82 percent of them larger than 5 microns. Yes the trans has a filter, but the best on the market today filters at 80 microns nominal and many cheap ones, or older filters are at 100 microns, or larger. Some of the screens in older transmissions are 150-200 microns and all they get are the "boulders.

Long term, the metallic particles cause wear on the pump vanes/housing and on bearings and bushings, but valves don't like debris either and that's where the shorter term problems can come from. A chunk of debris can score the bore of a valve and cause it to leak, or jam outright. I don't have to tell you what a metallic particle will do to a rubber seal or o-ring. With the advent of electronic valves, a new problem was created. What is an electronically controlled valve?? An electromagnet! Magnets attract ferrous particles, so the iron in the trans is gravitating to those areas and causing valve malfunctions to occur even sooner. Once the valves start to malfunction, you get reduced pressures or delayed shifts, all of which cause extra wear on the clutches. Often it's so slow and imperceptible that the driver doesn't feel it until it gets really bad. That might be at 100K miles, so he says, "Oh well" and has the trans rebuilt when with some care, that trans might have outlasted the car. Sometimes there is so much manufacturing grunge (or remanufacturing... rebuilt trans have the same trouble) in the trans that it fails under warranty (very common).

Thing is, if you can keep the contaminants under control, either by changing the oil or improved external filtration (the internal filters are low efficiency) you can greatly extend the reliability of the trans and the life of the oil. I interviewed Abe Khalil for a project and he said the first thing he does with a new car of his own is change the trans oil and filter (within about 5K miles). According to him, that eliminates 90 percent of the potential problems down the road.

A normal UOA is not a great way to measure contaminants in an automatic overall because the spectrometer used to test for metals only "sees" the particles under about 5 microns. The insolubles is merely a conglomeration of the stuff that settles out in a centrifuge. Both of these results can be reasonably accurately interpreted by a skilled and experienced person well enough to make some recommendations but it's still a "blurry snapshot" at best. Better to have a particle count done if you really need to know... but when Blackstone recommends an oil change, take heed. To clarify, I don't recommend the exgtra-cost particle count route unless you are especially pedantic or deep in knowledge-seeking mode. A UOA, interpreted by a pro, is usually sufficient.

Let's go back to the 75 percent thing above. Once the initial break-in has occurred, the transmission's internal production of contaminants (wear particles) slows way down in most cases, so the followup oil changes can be lots longer. The exceptions could be particularly hard worked units or those where the oil has been allowed to break down from age or stress and wear increases from lack of lubrication.

I'll still get on my soapbox here and shill for external filtration. A simple cooler line filter (google Magnefine as one easy example) can extend trans oil life as well as trans life itself. Abe Khalil quoted me a generic optimal ISO cleanliness code for ATF (that's a number you'd need to get from a particle count) of 16 (I'll leave it to you to research the two and three digit ISO codes if you don't understand the reference). It's achievable easily by external filtration or by oil changes, but to maintain that level of cleanliness without filtration it might require dumping oil that's essentially in good shape but for a high level of contamination. Remember that every ISO code number jump is up to a 50% increase in the level of contamination.

How quickly an AT dirties it's oil in normal use to the 19/16 level, after the beak-in process is complete, is highly variable according to the unit.

So, bottom line: For optimal trans life, either add an external filter right away or change the oil within about 5K miles. Updated info on the 5K stat would be that the AT mfrs. have really cleaned up the manufacturing process in the past few years and eliminated a lot of that built-in grunge. You still have break-in to contend with but I am told even that has improved. I haven't talked to Khalil in a few years and don't know what he would say right this minute, so I am sticking with 5K as a "perfect world" recommendation for those like me who are pedantic. Bet-hedgers... try about 15K, then do 60-80K intervals after (or according to h OEM or if in severe service). Overall, an external filter, well and correctly installed, hit's all the bases and allows you to run the factory fill for what is essentially a "full" OCI safe from high contaminant levels. You can then base the OCI on oil condition rather than contaminant level (and those are really best viewed as two separate categories).
[/quote]

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I don't think Whimsey was looking for opinions on his maintenance schedule, just a rant on his dealer.

Let's be EXACTLY clear on what happened here. OP takes vehicle in to have perfectly good transmission fluid drained. Dealer knows it good fluid and doesn't care to do the work. At Op's insistent the work is done the way it's done by just about all dealers. OP disagrees with the way the service is performed and comes on here to state he doesn't like the way the dealer changed out perfectly good fluid. Then comes on here to give an IMHO-an undeserved "rant".

That's what happened. This situation deserves the feedback it got-IMHO.

Let's be EXACTLY clear on what happened here. OP takes vehicle in to have perfectly good transmission fluid drained. Dealer knows it good fluid and doesn't care to do the work. At Op's insistent the work is done the way it's done by just about all dealers. OP disagrees with the way the service is performed and comes on here to state he doesn't like the way the dealer changed out perfectly good fluid. Then comes on here to give an IMHO-an undeserved "rant".

UMMM NO !

OP complained about a service he was willing to pay for not being done, and was lied to as well. He never asked an opinion.

I don't think Whimsey was looking for opinions on his maintenance schedule, just a rant on his dealer. But as the saying goes, opinions are like @$$%@!*&, everybody has one and can't wait to give it !

UMMM NO !

OP complained about a service he was willing to pay for not being done, and was lied to as well. He never asked an opinion.

That's the beauty of the Internet-you don't need to ask for opinions-you get them anyway!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Whats a PTU?

Power Transfer Unit. Basically a transfer case on a vehicle where the engine is transverse.
Sounds like something a lawnmower has. Can his car cut grass?
happy2.gif

I know that it has nothing to do with a PTO which is found on higher-end riding lawnmowers, I just wanted to make sport of the PTU acronym

UMMM NO !

That's the beauty of the Internet-you don't need to ask for opinions-you get them anyway!

And then get berated for pointing out that you didn't ask for it !

I don't think Whimsey was looking for opinions on his maintenance schedule, just a rant on his dealer. But as the saying goes, opinions are like @$$%@!*&, everybody has one and can't wait to give it !

Why do you have to be nasty, is it your nature? I merely posted that the dealer lied to my wife. Does me wanting an early ATF fluid change bother you, I'm paying for it, not you. I didn't ask for a critique of an early ATF fluid change interval, though you're free to comment in a civil manner, after you have all the facts, not just your opinion, which you think highly of obviously. I've been on this site for 15 years and sad to say I've seen it deteriorate because of posters like you ripping other posters apart for your pleasure.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Changing the ATF early on, is a prudent thing to do. Yes, things have improved quite a bit as far as manufacturing cleanliness and the quality of machined surface finishes go, but break in still happens.

Also, I'm not surprised the dealer did not want to touch it, although could've spared the OP a bunch of nonsense. This sort of thing has to be DYI-ed or done by an indy.

Below is a nice post by Jim Allen as to why it's prudent (not to be confused with required) to change the ATF early on in its life.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3068967

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
According to Abe Khalil and John Eleftherakis, two engineer/tribologists who have been studying automatic transmissions and ATF since the '80s, 75 percent of the harmful debris generated in an automatic over its operating life comes from the manufacturing process and break in. After sampling the oil in thousands of automatics in service, they found that the average trans with 70K or more miles that has not had a service contains approximately 263 mg/l (milligrams per liter) of contaminants, 90 percent of which is metallic. Of those metallic particles, 51 percent are ferrous (iron/steel), 21 percent copper, 11 percent aluminum and 7 percent lead. The particles range in size from 5 to 80 microns, about 82 percent of them larger than 5 microns. Yes the trans has a filter, but the best on the market today filters at 80 microns nominal and many cheap ones, or older filters are at 100 microns, or larger. Some of the screens in older transmissions are 150-200 microns and all they get are the "boulders.

Long term, the metallic particles cause wear on the pump vanes/housing and on bearings and bushings, but valves don't like debris either and that's where the shorter term problems can come from. A chunk of debris can score the bore of a valve and cause it to leak, or jam outright. I don't have to tell you what a metallic particle will do to a rubber seal or o-ring. With the advent of electronic valves, a new problem was created. What is an electronically controlled valve?? An electromagnet! Magnets attract ferrous particles, so the iron in the trans is gravitating to those areas and causing valve malfunctions to occur even sooner. Once the valves start to malfunction, you get reduced pressures or delayed shifts, all of which cause extra wear on the clutches. Often it's so slow and imperceptible that the driver doesn't feel it until it gets really bad. That might be at 100K miles, so he says, "Oh well" and has the trans rebuilt when with some care, that trans might have outlasted the car. Sometimes there is so much manufacturing grunge (or remanufacturing... rebuilt trans have the same trouble) in the trans that it fails under warranty (very common).

Thing is, if you can keep the contaminants under control, either by changing the oil or improved external filtration (the internal filters are low efficiency) you can greatly extend the reliability of the trans and the life of the oil. I interviewed Abe Khalil for a project and he said the first thing he does with a new car of his own is change the trans oil and filter (within about 5K miles). According to him, that eliminates 90 percent of the potential problems down the road.

A normal UOA is not a great way to measure contaminants in an automatic overall because the spectrometer used to test for metals only "sees" the particles under about 5 microns. The insolubles is merely a conglomeration of the stuff that settles out in a centrifuge. Both of these results can be reasonably accurately interpreted by a skilled and experienced person well enough to make some recommendations but it's still a "blurry snapshot" at best. Better to have a particle count done if you really need to know... but when Blackstone recommends an oil change, take heed. To clarify, I don't recommend the exgtra-cost particle count route unless you are especially pedantic or deep in knowledge-seeking mode. A UOA, interpreted by a pro, is usually sufficient.

Let's go back to the 75 percent thing above. Once the initial break-in has occurred, the transmission's internal production of contaminants (wear particles) slows way down in most cases, so the followup oil changes can be lots longer. The exceptions could be particularly hard worked units or those where the oil has been allowed to break down from age or stress and wear increases from lack of lubrication.

I'll still get on my soapbox here and shill for external filtration. A simple cooler line filter (google Magnefine as one easy example) can extend trans oil life as well as trans life itself. Abe Khalil quoted me a generic optimal ISO cleanliness code for ATF (that's a number you'd need to get from a particle count) of 16 (I'll leave it to you to research the two and three digit ISO codes if you don't understand the reference). It's achievable easily by external filtration or by oil changes, but to maintain that level of cleanliness without filtration it might require dumping oil that's essentially in good shape but for a high level of contamination. Remember that every ISO code number jump is up to a 50% increase in the level of contamination.

How quickly an AT dirties it's oil in normal use to the 19/16 level, after the beak-in process is complete, is highly variable according to the unit.

So, bottom line: For optimal trans life, either add an external filter right away or change the oil within about 5K miles. Updated info on the 5K stat would be that the AT mfrs. have really cleaned up the manufacturing process in the past few years and eliminated a lot of that built-in grunge. You still have break-in to contend with but I am told even that has improved. I haven't talked to Khalil in a few years and don't know what he would say right this minute, so I am sticking with 5K as a "perfect world" recommendation for those like me who are pedantic. Bet-hedgers... try about 15K, then do 60-80K intervals after (or according to h OEM or if in severe service). Overall, an external filter, well and correctly installed, hit's all the bases and allows you to run the factory fill for what is essentially a "full" OCI safe from high contaminant levels. You can then base the OCI on oil condition rather than contaminant level (and those are really best viewed as two separate categories).
[/quote]

I miss Jim.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Why do you have to be nasty, is it your nature? I merely posted that the dealer lied to my wife. Does me wanting an early ATF fluid change bother you, I'm paying for it, not you. I didn't ask for a critique of an early ATF fluid change interval, though you're free to comment in a civil manner, after you have all the facts, not just your opinion, which you think highly of obviously. I've been on this site for 15 years and sad to say I've seen it deteriorate because of posters like you ripping other posters apart for your pleasure.

Whimsey

Don't necessarily feel my post was rude. But if you do-
I hear there is an "ignore feature" if my posts bother you.

Have a GREAT day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
A lot of cars these days are labeling the transmission fluids as "lifetime" or "non-serviceable". In most cases it isn't impossible to service, but the dealer is told not to do it.

For example, in my old M3, the dual-clutch transmission had lifetime fluid. The shop manual does have a procedure to change the fluid, but it's actually under the "fill" section of the transmission replacement instructions and BMW only sells the fluid in huge containers for filling a dry (new) transmission.

“The 6F-55 has all the same features that customers have told us they desire from the 6F-50 transmission, and that includes fluid-fill for life and flat tow capability,” adds Bryce Bollwahn, a systems supervisor at Ford’s Automatic Transmission New Product Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back