Dealer tells me my vin is invalid?

On my 99 dodge ram, the dealer tells me the vin is invalid. How does this happen? The truck truck was repainted, so the door jamb location was painted over and they replaced the dash with a plastic cover that goes over the cracked areas because dodge dash likes to crack on that generation. Not sure why they don't have a cut out for where the vin plate goes. I did confoirm the vin in the glove box, which is what's on the title, but how do you know they didn't swap out the whole dash?

What are you trying to get? On those Rams, a cracked top panel of the dash is common and companies make replacement panels for it.
I get that, but they should have a cut out for the vin plate, so it doesn't get covered up. There's supposed to be another plate on the passenger side rad support and I don't see one. It's on my other dodge though. Trying to get a new ecm for my truck.

This thread is worthless without posting your VIN.

Or better yet a picture of it.

Seems like many of your issues could be solved with a little critical thinking.

But you only post enough info to have someone say "gee that sucks" to your rant/complaint.

A better thread would have been.

How do I order the correct ECU the dealer tells me my VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is invalid.

The most reliable place to check may be the frame rail on the right side-- either under the hood or under the cab near the back of the cab. It is going to be on top of the rail so use a mirror.
may be using O's instead of ZEROS.
There's never a letter "I" or "O" in a VIN, to prevent confusion with numbers 1 and 0. Software that checks VINs should instantly flag that as improper entry.

my father in laws VIN had 0's and O's that got mixed up on his 2015 GMC Terrain, that was a mess for him to get straightened out on his paperwork and insurance,

Usually the Big 3s just need the last 8 of the VIN on anything mid 90s and newer. At least I do for Ford and Mazda.

But I can say without any doubt whatsoever that a PCM on anything that old would be obsolete if it was a Ford.

You would think I would have had trouble at the dmv if it was invalid. I had no issues at all transferring the title into my name.
I would think so too. Must be an internal system issue for them unless the DMV isn’t picky as long as it’s 17 characters.

Back