Daylight Savings Time - Yes or No?

We've already had 2 meltdowns today because to her, she was woken up an hour too early and had to eat breakfast an hour too early.
It was a Sunday. I guess sleeping a little later (just to get used to the change) wasn't an option?

Keep it one or the other. My internal clock does not go off the the sunlight, rather if I need to go into the office the next day or not LOL.

It should alarm many of you how this topic can only stay hot for 2-4 days twice a year and it's only triggered when the clocks change.

It's just like every other single "important" issue - when the next shiny thing comes along in the media, you get all glassy-eyed over that.

For those that want it year-round- Let's change it. But when you whine the first year that it's dark at 8:20 AM in Georgia, Eastern TN, KY, Ohio.... and other places that are on the western edge of your timezone.... YOU get automatically shipped to a nice Russian Prison and serve 10 years.

I have come to the conclusion that over half the people in the US actually THINK that changing the clocks in March gives you an extra hour of daylight in the day. An extra hour. Know why they think this? The news media says it. They really think that by changing the clocks, you go from 12 hours of daylight on Saturday to 13 on Sunday.... I have heard this so much the last 24 hours.

It's just like the under-50 crowd thinking 2-1/2 years ago that when inflation was "over", all the prices were going back to 2019 era pricing.

The time zones are, in some cases, too large. Maine to Michigan and Indiana in the Eastern Zone makes no geographic sense. Its that large because, back when it was set up, businessmen thought it would be advantageous to be on the same time as New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

Newfoundland got it right. Based on their longitude, they are in their own time zone, a half hour ahead of the Atlantic time zone.
Georgia and many other areas aligned north-south with GA have no business in the Eastern Time Zone....

Around the metro the extra daylight in the evening is appreciated. In a few weeks you can go to WalMart or your choice of big box everything places, you can go after dinner and still be home well before dark to unload ect. I like it. Wish it was year round.

LMAO! You say this like it will be light out at 7:20 PM on Dec 20th if "we kept DST"....

The time zones are, in some cases, too large. Maine to Michigan and Indiana in the Eastern Zone makes no geographic sense. Its that large because, back when it was set up, businessmen thought it would be advantageous to be on the same time as New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
Back when broadcast TV was big the networks would "premiere" stuff on the east coast feed. And sports events kinda have to compromise so east-coasters don't stay up all night. Extra innings on a west coast ball game can push them past 12-1 ET.

If Maine or New England decided they'd go on Atlantic time, they wouldn't have enough clout to change this, so network TV would hit at 2100. If anyone cares anymore.

I have come to the conclusion that over half the people in the US actually THINK that changing the clocks in March gives you an extra hour of daylight in the day. An extra hour. Know why they think this? The news media says it. They really think that by changing the clocks, you go from 12 hours of daylight on Saturday to 13 on Sunday.... I have heard this so much the last 24 hours.
Huh. Must be a regional thing in Atlanta. Or maybe the people up here are just smarter? Dont know. I personally could never draw this conclusion because in 56 years on this planet I know no one who thinks this or that I have ever heard say this. And I have never heard any news outlet ever state this either, ever. Maybe you should listen to better media. Got a link?
It's just like the under-50 crowd thinking 2-1/2 years ago that when inflation was "over", all the prices were going back to 2019 era pricing.
I work in an engineering office and a shop floor where I am one of the older people here, and I dare say probably 90% of the people I directly work with are under 50, and I have literally never heard anyone (of any age) state anything that suggests anyone thinks this. Link?

Around the metro the extra daylight in the evening is appreciated. In a few weeks you can go to WalMart or your choice of big box everything places, you can go after dinner and still be home well before dark to unload ect. I like it. Wish it was year round.

LMAO! You say this like it will be light out at 7:20 PM on Dec 20th if "we kept DST"....
Interesting how two different people can read the same thing and come to completely different conclusions. He said "in a few weeks you can go to Walmart...after dinner and still be home before dark", implying he cant do that even now, but he will eventually. In a few weeks.

And "I like it. Wish it was year round", which to me implies he wants it to be like that all the time, not that it WILL be like that.

How did you draw the conclusion that he thinks its going to be like that all year if we kept DST? He never said that. Bit of a strawman going on here?

Keep L'ing your AO, I guess.

I better put my flame suit on; the current system works great for me (Connecticut).

In the fall, just when it gets too dark in the morning to walk the dog before work, it magically gets light an hour earlier.

And in the spring, it changes back so we don't have 4:30 AM sunrises in May, June, and July.

It's perfect. I hope they never change it.

I'm currently wearing my GMT watch. That way I can compare DST and Standard Time without having to do terribly complicated math. I can even track UTC or a third time zone. "Oh dear, it's already lunchtime!"
:ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking it will still be light at 5:45 instead of 4:45 on that date. Getting home when I was working before dark was nice.

KC is in the middle to western part of the central time zone. Are you saying it's that far north that it gets dark at 4:45 in December? Because that's in-line with what happens in Alabama, which is the eastern-most part of the central time zone...

Huh. Must be a regional thing in Atlanta. Or maybe the people up here are just smarter? Dont know. I personally could never draw this conclusion because in 56 years on this planet I know no one who thinks this or that I have ever heard say this. And I have never heard any news outlet ever state this either, ever. Maybe you should listen to better media. Got a link?

I work in an engineering office and a shop floor where I am one of the older people here, and I dare say probably 90% of the people I directly work with are under 50, and I have literally never heard anyone (of any age) state anything that suggests anyone thinks this. Link?

Interesting how two different people can read the same thing and come to completely different conclusions. He said "in a few weeks you can go to Walmart...after dinner and still be home before dark", implying he cant do that even now, but he will eventually. In a few weeks.

And "I like it. Wish it was year round", which to me implies he wants it to be like that all the time, not that it WILL be like that.

How did you draw the conclusion that he thinks its going to be like that all year if we kept DST? He never said that. Bit of a strawman going on here?

Keep L'ing your AO, I guess.

Maybe you need to start listening better to the under-50 crowd. I assure you these people think they are gaining an hour of daylight... And the media DOES imply this. I really don't pay attention to the media; we do turn the morning local Fox station on in the mornings while getting ready for work to catch the weather-guesser's best attempt for the day and next few days. This is when I am usually talking to the TV, telling them all the things they said wrong. Like saying a Ryder truck was in a wreck, while the camera shows an orange U-haul....

The post I am referring to about going to Walmart - he said he "wishes it was year-round", as IF it would be light out "Year round" so he can unload his haul from the Mart when he gets home, YEAR ROUND. This would, in fact, include December 20. I think.

It's 2024. Anyone who uses the word "strawman" in a post on a forum is usually one that loves to start arguments and then stand there like Alfred E Neuman and say "who me?"

Back