Daylight Savings Time - Yes or No?

When I was working and had to get up at Oh Dark Thirty I hated DST. I figured there was a special place in Hades for Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and the guy who came up with the idea for it.
Now I'm retired, meh. I go to sleep when I want and do the same for waking up. I do have sympathy for the early shift folks.

Location dependent high noon (solar noon) is not 12:00, but generally far after. DST makes it even worse. Today, it's 1:30PM here in Jupiter, FL

Despite this, I love DST. It is nice to have light at the end of the day. Recognizing that the business day won't ever be changed to start at 6AM to properly align high noon and post work sunlight.

I dont mind .... I think it stays light until 9:30 here in the summer . I just wish all my clocks changed automatically like my phone does .

Standard should be the standard, with high noon being the most direct shadow. If people want more time after work, get up earlier. My work shift is 0630-1500 and if there's OT it starts at 0500.

Too many people sit up in bed on their cellphones wondering if they'll get any more "likes" on their "twits" then they're groggy the next morning and it's the clock's fault. Is it?

My 6 year old daughter is non-verbal autistic. She has a set routine, and that routine is set to her biological clock, not the clock on the wall. Every DST change, it takes about 2 weeks to get her adjusted. Everything in her routine, from the time she wakes to the time she goes to bed, is thrown off by an hour. We've already had 2 meltdowns today because to her, she was woken up an hour too early and had to eat breakfast an hour too early. To the representatives who stalled and shelved the DST bill last year, I hope the fleas of a thousand camels forever infest their pubic hairs.

Go on DST and stay there.
This. Not only autistics, but everyone struggles with the change; science has shown that there are negative health effects for everyone and getting up earlier. I'm against it, makes no sense. Leave it one way or another, or split the difference.

For your daughter, might I suggest a gradual change? Something like 8-10 minutes a day over a week would make it less difficult for her…

Reactions: wlk
This. Not only autistics, but everyone struggles with the change; science has shown that there are negative health effects for everyone and getting up earlier.

For your daughter, might I suggest a gradual change? Something like 8-10 minutes a day over a week would make it less difficult for her…

She goes to public school so I have to wake her up an hour earlier to get ready. Her whole day is screwed up from then on.

Around the metro the extra daylight in the evening is appreciated. In a few weeks you can go to WalMart or your choice of big box everything places, you can go after dinner and still be home well before dark to unload ect. I like it. Wish it was year round.

The time zones are, in some cases, too large. Maine to Michigan and Indiana in the Eastern Zone makes no geographic sense. Its that large because, back when it was set up, businessmen thought it would be advantageous to be on the same time as New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

Newfoundland got it right. Based on their longitude, they are in their own time zone, a half hour ahead of the Atlantic time zone.

According to Our World in Data I have 2.3 years left to live. Very hard to get ginned up over 60 minutes. Oh well🥱
That's depressing. Then again 55 years ago in high school, there was PSA type poster on a bulletin board, saying that each cigarette you smoked cut 7 minutes off your life. If that was true I would have been dead several decades ago. Even back then do-gooders were lying to you.

Last edited:
Location dependent high noon (solar noon) is not 12:00, but generally far after. DST makes it even worse. Today, it's 1:30PM here in Jupiter, FL

Despite this, I love DST. It is nice to have light at the end of the day. Recognizing that the business day won't ever be changed to start at 6AM to properly align high noon and post work sunlight.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 13-37-23 Current Local Time in Jupiter Island Florida USA.jpg

Here in Louisville the latest sunset in summer is 910 PM...Thats too late for me.. I like standard time...

Back