Dash Cam Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by StevieC
I do it for good Karma hoping that if I was ever in the situation where I needed to rely on someone elses footage to prove my case for some reason I would want access to their footage as well. Whether it's at a cost or not.

That said I have my own Dash Cam and it saved me a few times. The latest is in the Lawsuit I had where I had to sue the person that wrote off my Dodge Journey.

Hmm- not sure what you mean by "the person that wrote off my Dodge Journey". Did you sue the insurance adjuster ?

The person wrote it off in a sense because they decided to run the red light and t-boned me. Almost killed me. So while the write-off is done by the insurance company it was written off because of this idiot.

wink.gif

Last edited:
So let's see... "someone" gets a dash cam free for Christmas. Then someone happens to get footage of a car accident they are not involved in. Instead of offering the evidence free to all parties involved, someone asks for monetary compensation in exchange? What if the party/parties say no? Is someone going to walk away with evidence only because they aren't offered compensation for it? Yes I agree someone has to make a living. But Jesus, man, someone also needs to be a decent F * % -ing human being!
Also, there are laws which require someone to produce the evidence, since someone has disclosed the fact that evidence exists: Subpoena WIKI

Last edited:
Showing up in court under fear of prosecution and retaliation by the courts is not something I would call being a nice human being. In a case of personal injury, yes I would ponder being a witness or giving up any video evidence, but for property damage, no way in h...

Originally Posted by Win
In my state, if I knew of its existence, and if I thought it had some importance, I see no reason why I could not make you show up for a deposition at a time and place convenient to me and the other guy, but not necessarily convenient for you, for thirty bucks and mileage at the standard IRS rate. . . .

. . . Your call.

Possibly, but I'm not sure how many parallels can be drawn, seeing as Snagglefoot's in Canada.

What does IRS mean? Internal Revenue Service doesn't seem to apply.

alrighty then...reading all of the replies submitted so far has actually made for a somewhat unpleasant experience...the vitriol is definitely palpable..

But here is one take-away to learn from all this:
Hypothetical questions on subjects which are not deemed to be ethically or morally sound should be submitted at one's own risk, and failure to carefully consider the possible backlash to the mere posing of a question could result in character assassination, thinly veiled threats,, and/or misstatements of fact masquerading as the gospel truth.

But I digest...let's take the scenario originally presented one step further and see if everyone's position remains so firmly entrenched on the high-ground.

The scenario to consider - A car runs a red-light in front of me and ends up running over a pedestrian that was crossing the street a the cross-walk in the intersection. The driver of the car stops only long enough to see they have just run over someone before speeding away down the road immediate in front of me. Now, it just so happens that my dash cam records the whole thing including the license plate of the hit and run driver's vehicle. However, due to the shock of witnessing something so horrid, I don't inform the cops or anyone else that i have the dash cam footage. I just drive home and make myself a stiff drink to calm my nerves.

After I calm down, I pull the footage and get the license plate to see what I can find on my own before turning over to the police. Only then do I figure out that the person doing the driving was actually a notorious hit-man for the organized crime element in my particular town. Now, having seen enough movies and TV to know how real life works, I naturally draw the conclusion that my life is in danger if that footage ever comes to light, since it is the one thing that can be used to convict the perpetrator beyond all reasonable doubts.

The question to ponder - Do I keep my mouth shut and stay alive, or do I do the right thing, pipe up about having the footage, and prepare myself to take The Big Dirt Nap soon thereafter?

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Take the big dirt nap.

And leave so many things unfinished?? Can I at least finish the novel I started working on back in '04 first? There are only 10 chapters left to write...out of 10 total...and my typewriter needs a new ribbon...which they don't make anymore...

you know what, maybe I should tie up some loose ends in my hypothetical life before I hypothetically go driving anywhere and hypothetically record crime that could lead to me running out of breath later on.,

Nope. You want to leave a great big mess of unfinished projects and a house or two that looks like an episode from one of those hording shows,

edit; Your fictional hit and run was a stolen vehicle. The mobster thief hit man didn't notice the baby in the back seat when he stole the vehicle.
The baby, the grand daughter of a rival gang leader (not injured in the crash) got the victim's blood, hep-c and HIV positive, splattered on her.

Last edited:
No, I got it: MY car is stolen and I don't have the password to decrypt the memory disk in the car's dashcam, and to get it I would have to admit tovstealing it in the first place so that the fuzz could track down the owner to get the footage off his dashcam so I could go on the run, always staying one step ahead of the mob hit squad sent to kill me.

Dang, I'm starting to think that I should have just stayed home that day!

The cops recover the stolen hit car, complete with baby, a body in the trunk along with drugs, cash and interesting camera footage of cheating wives. Snagglefoot doesn't know what he has on his dash camera until he watches the late news on TV. He decides to play the rival gangs against each other, perhaps collecting cash from both parties.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
The cops recover the stolen hit car, complete with baby, a body in the trunk along with drugs, cash and interesting camera footage of cheating wives. Snagglefoot doesn't know what he has on his dash camera until he watches the late news on TV. He decides to play the rival gangs against each other, perhaps collecting cash from both parties.

Oh man, that NEVER ends well...I hope @Snagglefoot is smart enough to use his ill-gotten gains to get a fake passport made up so he can skip town as soon as possible. It won't take long before the gangs figure out he's been playing each one against the other, at which point they'll call a truce long enough to combine forces, cry "Havoc!", and let slip the Dogs of War on his behind.

Hey @Snagglefoot, hit me up if you still need that passport, I know a guy who knows a guy who can do one up for you...you'll have to go to his house, but he's cool...also, you'll have to be quick about it, that dude's grandma never leaves the house except for her kidney dialysis treatments and epsom salt foot-soaks every other weekday. You'll have 2 hours tops to get everything done, but that should be enough...unless you opt for the fingerprint removal (tip: use a belt sander to do that one yourself and save the $$).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back