Dare we PURSUE this classic VW BEETLE ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
for a 1970, I would jack it up and check for rust. What good is a motor in great shape, if the body is ready to fall apart?.,,,

This ^^^

The problem is rust.

If it has no rust then its worth over $2,300 regardless the engine compression.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
All VW Beetles leak oil. No biggie. Driven mine on Peking to Paris Rally in 2013 (8,500 miles) and just finished The Great Race (5,136 miles round trip).

Stop procrastinating! Just buy it!

Sounds like an amazing experience!

I have owned many VW's and still have 4 from 1965 bug to a 87 Cabriolet. From the leak you described it is probably the rear main seal behind the flywheel. Pulling the motor is not too bad since it comes out the bottom after you put it way up in the back on good jack stands. I use a motorcycle jack under mine and lower it out. Takes about 45 minutes for me anymore but I am over 70 now. You need to check thesamba.com. It is a real wealth of VW lovers.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
$2300 sounds pretty good; there's no air-cooled tax there.

If the case needs split for a reseal, well, you're in for a fun weekend.

UPDATE: he says..

"Every seal other than that one has been replaced, every single one"

"it only leaks when it runs and if I leave it running for like 10 minutes there will be like a 3" spot on the ground"
3"? That's a big oil leak. If you buy it the engine will need to be torn down right away if you plan on driving it anywhere.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Hey 3SumpChump, would you please post the link to the ad of the car in question?

Can't post it, it is in closed entry FB sale group. My previous posts list an extensive description of this 1600cc 1970 Beetle (non super beetle) with complete new top end, every seal new except engine halves gasket, new heat shields new starter, new other stuff (listed in my prior page 1 "updates" to this thread) and clean floor pans. 3miles on freshened top end with most if not all parts on top end new, 3inch oil spot after 10min of idling. Glass all there and intact. Dash in one piece and steering column appears un touched. Valve job done , one seat and guide replaced, heads decked, new "jbug" pistons and rings.

Okay, I can see how you could do all of this work without splitting the cases, but why one would I don't know.
Once the engine is out, disassembly is pretty straightforward and the head and jugs are secured with bolts on the same lengthly studs. The bolts on the studs clamp the heads on and the heads in turn clamp the jugs into the cases and all of this at very low torque values. Once they're out of the way, the cases are secured with a relative few large fasteners.
Splitting the cases makes it possible to mic the cam and crank and to replace the main bearings, which I would think you'd want to do, not to mention that you'd then reseal the case mating joint on reassembly. Some will tell you that the cases should be line bored to ensure perfect crank to case alignment.
This sounds like a half-arsed rebuild that needs to be redone, but for $2300.00, that is not unreasonable. You at least know what you'd be getting.
WRT what the engine should sound like, I honestly have no idea. Our lone VW was a Vanagon with the Type IV. In the Vanagon, you can't usually even hear the engine since it's so far back and is buried under the luggage space in the back and covered with a huge metal hatch (allowing easy engine access when removed) which is in turn covered with a thick carpet mat.

I wish I could link the ad but it is a close FB group and I no longer can post pics with my photobucket.

If you can save the photos from the ad to your computer you can then upload them onto BITOG by usung the icon with the blue up arrow (5th icon fron the left).

Rust is a big problem as said. All air-cooled VWs leak oil, but that seems a little much. Best forum for air-cooled VWs is "thesamba.com"

I've got a 1970 Beetle at home that I maintain and drive.

Yeah, $2300 for a running and driving Beetle is a steal!

Why are you waiting on this? Get it!

There's a '71 for sale near me at a small used car lot. Looks original but rusty. I was tempted but my better half talked sense into me.
smile.gif

The book on these back in the 70s was that they would go 200,000 miles but would need three engines to do it. But my friend ran an air-cooled VW out to well over 100K miles w/o engine problems. He used 20W-50 and figured that accounted for the longevity.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wish I could link the ad but it is a close FB group and I no longer can post pics with my photobucket.

If you can save the photos from the ad to your computer you can then upload them onto BITOG by usung the icon with the blue up arrow (5th icon fron the left).

I tried, pic wont upload.
frown.gif
. Oh well

One of my best friends lives up in your area, SumpChump. Very cool.
Anyway that car looks like it will cost you a lot of time and maybe a little money to get to where you'd like it. Mostly time. Do you have free time for it?
Thanks btw for coughing up the ad, lol.

I own a '74 Super Beetle.

Anyway, I see a car with worrisome rust at the front pillar where it hits the heater channel. I see lame fenders and other hacks and cheap parts. You can do better.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You ought to come visit NC...

After seeing the photos of the one you're looking at, you are much better off travelling for better car and spending a little more money.

If you really want a Beetle, that is.

Glad you guys could see the pics! Because over the course of this thread the VeeDub has gone from "she's worth that wothout an engine" to "you can do better"

I'll be letting him know its a squashed Beetle. And I'll be moving on to a sweet Cadillac Allante with just a little brake work needed owned by a prince in Burkina Faso.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, $2300 for a running and driving Beetle is a steal!

Why are you waiting on this? Get it!

Heres the link tell me what you all think...

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/6243061694.html?lang=en&cc=us

Nope. Not a Beetle expert, but I wouldn't buy a Ford truck in that condition.

Replaced every seal except the one that makes a 3" puddle after 10 minutes doesn't sound promising, and that car looks pretty rough. If it was bone stock, that would be one thing, but that one looks like a hodgepodge of sloppy work. Looks like there's some rust too.

They also don't mention the oil leak in the CL ad, so that's probably not the only thing. At least they call it a "restoration candidate."

Keep looking. I think $2300 can do better than that.

Last edited:
I'd talk him down on the price a bit, it's really customized, and not exactly nicely done. It's a Frankenbug. Selling a customized VW can be tough, everyone has their own tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back