Cox 0.49 VW Beetle

Hello all - First of all, this might not belong in the Vehicles subforum, but then again it might - it is about a fossil-fueled car, after all.

About 25 years ago, when my boys were young, Matt, a good friend who didn't have children, gave me one of his childhood toys, a Cox VW Beetle with a 0.49" gas motor. I would guess it's from around 1970 or earlier. It had not run in many years at that point, and life was too busy for me to put any time into it.

Unfortunately, Matt had been a Type 1 diabetic since early childhood, and passed away in 2000. He was an excellent friend, and I still miss him.

I dug this car out of the garage attic yesterday, and would really like to see it go to a good home.

It's yellow with a red stripe, which I think was as it came from the factory.

I'd be glad to send it to anyone who'd be interested, for the cost of shipping.

Cheers

Beetle as in classic beetle? I have a yellow 73 with a 71 body beetle I love classic beetles of all types. I collect anything to do with classic Beetles. But shipping would probably be expensive. Me and my dad would love to have it. Let me know the shipping costs and I might be able to get it.

Last edited:
I had lots of hobby model airplanes and cars with the Cox .049 Very stout little engine. Two stroke diesel.

1611706463452.png

I had one of those i think...

I might be able to get it running, they are pretty simple ... getting it across the border might be an issue but if you don't have any canadian takers PM me.

I had lots of hobby model airplanes and cars with the Cox .049 Very stout little engine. Two stroke diesel.

View attachment 42700
"Two stroke Diesel" intrigued me, so I read the Wiki article - sure enough, it uses compression ignition. Amazing.

Also, I was wrong labelling this a 0.49" engine - it's actually 0.049", and slightly over-square, with both bore and stroke coming in at about half an inch.

Awesome little unit!

Trav, our esteemed master mechanic, was the first to show interest, so the Beetle is on the way to him.

Wish I had seen it sooner lol. But I’m glad Trav got it I’m sure he will take good care of it. But man I’d really like to have it. Hopefully if he ever sells it I’m first on his list 😁.

"Two stroke Diesel" intrigued me, so I read the Wiki article - sure enough, it uses compression ignition. Amazing.

Also, I was wrong labelling this a 0.49" engine - it's actually 0.049", and slightly over-square, with both bore and stroke coming in at about half an inch.

Awesome little unit!

Trav, our esteemed master mechanic, was the first to show interest, so the Beetle is on the way to him.
Are the tires still squishy? Had one one when I was a kid.

My brothers had a Cox Baja Bug and I had a couple control line planes (still have one, the Grasshopper). I remember thinking as a kid, this thing doesn't have a spark plug it has a glow plug and how does it keep running after you disconnect the battery, now I know lol! Cox Glow fuel....

Fattylocks said: Are the tires still squishy? Had one one when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, the tires were in terrible shape - the rear ones were squishy, and might be salvageable, but the front ones were a harder plastic that had melted and rehardened.

20210126_193329.jpg

I had the Cox Jeep. Had to sell a zillion Christmas cards or some **** thing as a cub scout to get it. My first and last foray into high pressure salesmanship. Can't remember what happened to the Jeep. It likely ended in a fiery death. That Cox fuel burned great.

Hey, Trav has seen these, but I thought the rest of you would get a kick out of them:

20210126_193046.jpg
20210126_193101.jpg
20210126_193120_Burst01.jpg
20210126_193208.jpg

Going much further back to many years ago, after our family had seen The Love Bug on the big screen, I bought a plastic VW Beetle and modified it to look like Herbie - painted on red and blue racing stripes, and made my own "53" badges and glued them on. Turned out quite well. Gave it to my sister for Christmas.

I had the Cox Jeep. Had to sell a zillion Christmas cards or some **** thing as a cub scout to get it. My first and last foray into high pressure salesmanship. Can't remember what happened to the Jeep. It likely ended in a fiery death. That Cox fuel burned great.
I used to see those ads on the inside covers of my 12 cent comic books. Never knew anyone who actually sold the cards!

I had about 30 Cox and Testors planes and helicopters hanging in my man room, until we moved (twice) last year and now they are still in boxes in the attic. I went on a binge about 15 years ago buying them on eBAY. There is no shortage of them on there if people are looking for them. I had many while growing up, we would fly them in the cul de sac we lived on, so much to the point there was a large dark ring on the pavement from all the castor oil mist coming out of the engine. I have boxes full of parts and could probably assembly another dozen engines just from old bits and pieces in boxes here and there.

Me and some friends were building model planes in the late 50s,I think the engines were under 5 dollars and the model kits were cheap to,,loved those days

Hello all - First of all, this might not belong in the Vehicles subforum, but then again it might - it is about a fossil-fueled car, after all.

About 25 years ago, when my boys were young, Matt, a good friend who didn't have children, gave me one of his childhood toys, a Cox VW Beetle with a 0.49" gas motor. I would guess it's from around 1970 or earlier. It had not run in many years at that point, and life was too busy for me to put any time into it.

Unfortunately, Matt had been a Type 1 diabetic since early childhood, and passed away in 2000. He was an excellent friend, and I still miss him.

I dug this car out of the garage attic yesterday, and would really like to see it go to a good home.

It's yellow with a red stripe, which I think was as it came from the factory.

I'd be glad to send it to anyone who'd be interested, for the cost of shipping.

Cheers
thanks for posting this,,,reminders of days gone by,,,the o49was and i guess still is a work horse engine

Back