Dallas traffic is relentless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The key to living here (or anywhere else for that matter) is to live in a suburb right outside of a big city.

Meanwhile, I live downtown and work in the suburbs. I did that intentionally because I hate sitting in traffic.

If your downtown to suburb or suburb to downtown commute is a reverse one in relation to the hordes then it's a good one. In many areas, if you travel more than 10 miles, the hordes are going both ways.

The key to living here (or anywhere else for that matter) is to live in a suburb right outside of a big city.

That strategy only works for so long though (assuming the metro keeps growing and consumes the outskirts), but it probably coincides with the kids being grown up and off on their own, so you can start looking for where you want to retire.

If you choose to do that don't whine about the clogged roads on your commute. If a city gets beyond a certain size commuting by car becomes impractical. London, NYC, Paris, Birmingham (UK), LA, and it seems more and more large cities are learning this, some the hard way, others providing an infrastructure of public transport before gridlock becomes endemic.

Simply building more roads isn't a long term solution, where will you park the cars?. Logically you will eventually need a secondary transport system to get from the car park to your place of work.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
We live north of Austin and my wife and I always comment how nice the highways are in Dallas.

They actually build roads, and its super busy but well managed.

Same deal with Houston, they build super highways with stacks of highways.

Austin refuses to build anything but stupid toll roads, and the Council and Mayor are complete dummies.

They are trying to turn Texas into California.

I hate to tell you, Justin, pretty much all the new highways built here in the past twenty years are toll roads. I drive to Richardson every day for work and spend around $1,200/year on tolls just for that. I know that Austin traffic is very bad, but it is not good here, either.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Will Texas turn into a California in 20 years ?

Every state that has a very large cities and population will eventually turn into another California.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I drive to Richardson every day for work and spend around $1,200/year on tolls just for that.

Ugggghhhh.... that's just awful

We live in the 7th largest city in the US and have no need for EZ Pass. There are zero toll roads in San Antonio. My wife has a 10 minute commute to work, her current employer moved their corporate HQ from what was originally outskirts just north of the original loop (410) to just north of the current outer loop (1604) a few years back. They're just now converting the main traffic artery here from a superstreet to a real freeway with exit ramps here plus building a large bus station. We're in the city limits, not a suburb, but our street & house backs up to a 700 acre working ranch minimizing neighbors. No MUD taxes here.

San Antonio is often charachterized as a major city with small city government mentality but so far has been quite resistant to Californizaition with the exception of in&outburger recently opening.

Last edited:
It once took me over two hours to get from Allen to Burleson.

That can give you an idea of just how big the DFW Metroplex is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back