"daily driver" term is comical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seams like a fitting description for a vehicle that is driven daily. My daily driver could be a bicycle, although a more fitting term would be a daily rider I guess.

In any case, I have a feeling that those with jealousy issues are the ones that find the term somehow objectionable. They probably feel like using the term is some sort of bragging, or something. THAT, is comical.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: flinter
I am talking about people who own just one car and call it their "daily driver."

It still makes sense in the context of an auto forum. They're calling it that to succinctly convey its usage profile, since many who frequent auto forums do have secondary cars that are "weekend toys".

^^^THIS!
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I originally chose this username on another car forum (LS1tech/LS1.com) sort of as a razz/contradiction to all of it's members who thought that LS1 f bodies should ONLY and EVER be driven on nice, warm, DRY weekends, (and not even every one of those!) and kept at UNDER 20K miles on the clock.

I on the other hand used it as an ONLY ride for the better part of 17 years (and 250K miles), bought/ordered brand new.
Those that wish to keep them as some sort of high buck exotic/hypercar/'garage queen', ALL the more powah to ya, but DO NOT tell ME that I MUST do the same, or that a 4th gen Z28 has SOLELY that usefulness, or purpose.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I do that.

I believe young people call it "Posting feedback to Microsoft".

This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

Let me guess, you laugh at awkward moments and misread the room a lot?

This so called "daily driver" term that EVERYONE on car forums seemed to be using all the time is downright comical! Isn't like 99% percent of cars daily drivers?? I just find it funny and completely over used term.

In other news... like 99% of humans are people. But 'people' is a completely over used term. Let's call them bubba instead.

My MG doesn't get driven daily. Fair weather vehicle with a convertible top that's not entirely waterproof, lightweight body known for rusting when exposed to road salt, no cargo capacity, can't carry the stepkids, often temperamental, and my insurance limits the number of miles I can drive and where I can drive it. So yes, the other car that does commute to work daily and is the beast of burden is the "daily driver".

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Looks like we need some new acronyms.

WK - Weekly Driver
WED - Weekend Driver
YD - Yearly Driver

Exactly. Great idea.
My Impala is a weekly (daily) driver. My F150 is a once in a while driver when I need to haul something. I like the F150, just can't see the much lower MPG, less power and poor handling (in comparison to the Impala)

I'm thinking of getting a Town Car for a weekend driver - for the smooth ride. The wife and I often go places on the weekend of 100 - 150 mile round trips or our trips out of state which can be as much as 3k miles round trip.

When I lived in St. Paul I had a couple of Ford XL convertibles. They were occasionally driven on the weekends, but only in the summer. Nothing worse than driving a convertible in sub zero weather, or when it's snowing. The seals on the top were not the best and it would have been a lot of money to replace them. So another category - maybe a "summer driver" and a "winter driver."
smile.gif

Last edited:
Here is what's comical...or sad. Those who pay $40,000+ for a full sized V8 pick up, drive it to work, do not need to haul anything, and who have a desk job. $40,000 for a gas sucking daily driver...wow! Dumb!

I have two cars listed in my signature.

The Lincoln is my go-to car for most things. I drive it to work most of the time and it's my hop in and go car. Like most modern cars, I can pretty well count on it starting when I flip the key over and not have to get out and tinker with it or constantly watch the gauges.

The MG gets driven a decent amount when the weather is nice-both to work and for fun cruising. In fact, the past couple of weeks it's been taken out nearly every day for an evening cruise just to relax and unwind. There are a lot of reasons why it's impractical, though. It has almost no cargo space, the top is enough of a pain that when it's down(as it is now) I don't want to put it up on a rainy day, it still leaks even in the rain, and heaven forbid I get salt on the 50 year old British steel(even though it does drive pretty well in the snow). I will drive it in the rain if the top is already up, but that's about it.

I've put 10,000 miles on the Lincoln in the past year. I've put a shade over 2000 on the MG. I think the Lincoln definitely qualifies as my daily driver.

The 90 Mazda is a daily driver for my wife. The 91 Mazda and 2004 Focus are my daily drivers for me. Usually 2 days/3 days. The 2004 Buick is the long haul driver such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles and the like. Those are maybe twice a year. Other times when instead of being in my close to home office I am at a location 90 miles away then the Buick again.

All the other cars are every other weekend drivers as I can't use them all in one weekend. The Sable still sits as I try to determine where the steady tapping sound is coming from when the engine runs.

The term DD is very specific. My DD is a Nissan Versa that gets around 40 mpg in the summer. For occasional truck duties and to have some fun, I have an F350. The DD gets about 15-18K a year and the truck might get 4k.

Nope. Our truck gets used once or twice a week for hay and feed runs, XTerra is pretty much only used for roadtrips and wheeling. Bikes get ridden once in a blue moon at this point.

The Versa has accumulated almost 30,000 miles in a year and a half. It's obvious which vehicle gets the best gas mileage so gets used the most.

Last edited:

There's 2 responses to this:

"I'm sorry you're poor"

or

"Don't project your use case onto 99% of us"

I have three vehicles in my sig line. I use the Tb almost daily and my 3500 is used mostly for towing but is great on highway trips so it gets driven almost daily as well. I guess I have two daily drivers. Or is that against the rules? Thankfully the rez truck is parked behind the barn and is full of fencing supplies so it has not been on the road in over a month. But if it was on the road.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back