CVT whining near end of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
As well as taking the car to the Dealer, I would also contact Nissan HQ to log the issue, explicitly ask if there is any safety concerns on the road/Highway and if its a known issue etc.

Plus obtain their reply in writing and/or tape the conversation.

Originally Posted By: Driz
That’s just plain sad having tranny’s die at 50000 miles. [censored] an old AMC always lasted longer than that and those were the bottom of the barrel. I would t touch one of those CTVs if you gave it to me, Nissan especially!

I'm with you, especially after spending quite a bit of time behind the wheel in my father's 2013 Subaru.
27.gif

Tom,

These RE0 CVT unit failures are primarily due to metal wear in the pulley assemblies and failure of the ball-bearings supporting the two pulley sheave assemblies inside. This metal sticks the pump flow control valve causing low fluid pressure and allows the belt not to be properly held during operation. More slipping makes more metal and more damage and the unit eventually fails. Most vehicles will pop the CEL when the slip cannot be managed by the controller. Lubrication quality is very important. More aggressive fluid changes and service will help you keep the transaxle alive.

They make some hydraulic noise during operation, but a change in whining volume or excessive whining usually means a ball bearing in the unit is coming apart. Is it speed sensitive or throttle sensitive?

Keep pushing the dealer to correct the problem and get it documented since you are inside warranty. They just swap the entire units at the dealership as Nissan won't sell service parts to anyone including their own shops (another fiasco).

My wife drives an 11 Altima 2.5 and it will whine when run at high rpms for any amount of time. Every day she climbs a mountain on the way home from work starting at about 880ft and ending at about 2300ft so it takes a few minutes to get to the top going about 50-55. Obviously the car is under heavy load during this and the RPMs sit around 3-3500 the whole climb. about a quarter way up it starts to whine and does not stop until she gets to the top and the RPMs settle back to around 15-2000 for a minute or so. The whine will slowly fade away. If you make a full throttle run such as passing it will begin to whine in the same way.

I checked the fluid level and its right at the top of the range on the stick. I am actually going to try to take a little fluid out to get it down to the mid range. I think the high RPM and high fluid level is causing air bubbles and the pump is whining until they get worked out at the low rpm. It sounds very similar to a PS pump whine when your fluid is low.

Do you guys think my theory makes sense? The car 202K on it. It has whined up the mountain and high RPMs since she got it at 179K. It is more likely to whine in hot weather but onces you settle the RPMs and drive normal the whine slowly fades away over about one minute then its 100% quiet.

Last edited:
I have read the CVT's should not be overfilled or it could cause aeration and transmission overheating.
I would do a couple of drain and fills if it has not been changed recently.

My 2008 Altima will make that noise about every 60k Miles. Soon as I change the fluid it goes away. It’s most apparent when it’s hot out. Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back