Cutting ties with my best friend tomorrow.

My Lithuanian grandmother, in her accented voice, used to say

"A friend in need is a friend you don't need."

That may sound harsh. But the history of it is, during the early Great Depression, she and her husband owned several multi family homes that they rented to Lithuanian immigrant friends. The Depression hit, the friends were thrown out of work, and could no longer pay rent. My grandmother and grandfather never evicted them. But grandfather got sick and died in 1936, and grandmother lost her income. The rental properties were lost to foreclosure. My father had to interrupt his education to support his mother. Nobody offered any help, especially not those who they had previously helped.

Ain't got time for that kind of drama in my life. As corny as it sounds my wife is my best friend. Then I have 2 or 3 "buddies" in town. We may get together a few times per year, text during a playoff game, and we will always gravitate towards each other in social settings.

None of my buddies put any kind of pressure on me or expectations into the relationship above what I stated above. No wife drama when we do hang out. We can not talk or text or see each other for a year and it's all good, we pick up where we left off. If one of us needs help with something we're there to help but there is also no pressure for constant contact.

My wife has a very tight group of 5 friends in town. They go to trivia every week and someone is always at the house. She recently asked me if I was ok without having a male "best friend". I reassured her that I'm fine and really don't feel the need for someone like that in my life. My last "best friend" committed suicide in 2012. Maybe I'm a little damaged from that experience but I think best friends are overrated so long as you have people you can talk to in life. For me, that's my wife, business partners, and my buddies but I like these relationships lowkey.
It's interesting....my wife has like 3 circles of close friends, all different. come XMAS, she has gift cards rolling in, $50 here, $50 there, etc. She works for a school and they're from her kids/kids' parents. We got to church and inevitably someone approaches and thanks her etc.

So when we get into an argument, she will point out she has tons of friends, and I don't.

Now I may be getting too personal--she abruptly left for a week with our son. I was at the lowest point of my life, and was very introspective. Actually, the fact that I was slammed at work helped me get through the days.

OK, now I'm getting to the point--a couple male friends showed up unannounced, one with beer, one with cheesesteaks (he doesn't drink). They asked me how I was and what I planned to do, etc. THESE ARE REAL FRIENDS. So the total count was two, for good, or for bad.

All the others, I did not reach out to. The reason these two knew, was that their wives are close friends with my wife.

The end

p.s. this summer I was at a concert at Citi Field. The guy in front of me high fives me, we start talking, and we're from the same home town, 120 miles away. What are the odds? We kept in touch, got together a couple of times, kids same age, and the most recent development was we go to the same church. He said I saw you but you left. There was a time when based on his last name, I coulda asked, "What parish?" But that's no longer PC. Turns out he's a police detective so I figure I'll call him if I have any moving violations. But he's young, who knows, maybe 15+ years younger

:ROFLMAO:

p.p.s. I'm glad this topic came up. I cut ties also with someone from elementary school, just recently.

Last edited:
I reckon I’m the poster child for a loner. Wasn’t like this in my younger years. I was promoted from line tech to shop manager and all my so called friends at work immediately hated me. I had to supervise them and it was an unpleasant work environment for years. Eventually after several were fired the others realized that I wasn’t there for socializing. I was working to provide for my family. Since then I’ve kept work folks and neighbors at a cordial distance. Don’t need to be an audience for people that brag as well as folks that seem to delight in causing hard working folks stumble and fail. I’ve learned I’m better off concentrating on me and my family.
Walk away and don’t engage in their obvious assault.
Be better than that.

Creekside -

Sorry to hear that you're at this crossroads.

Some folks may say that you're not being a good friend for abandoning him/her. The danger with dealing with addicts is that they have far more ability to drag you down than you do to pull them up. They have no control(s) in their lives, and therefore there is genuine and legitmate risk in being around them. It's hard enough for a well-seasoned person to lend help to addicts, let alone a young adult such as yourself. You'll notice that not one person here has said "you're wrong; go back to them." At 27 years old, this is probably a new and tough decision for you; an opportunity to mature. Your friend and his wife are not maturing; they are stuck in childish behaviors, making poor decisions (as is common with addicts). Growth often is accompanied by some pain; this is a perfect example.

I believe the general concensus here would be for you to politely exit their lives, stay available for conversations only from a distance, and move on with your life.

Oh boy - need a break from “them” for now is where I’d leave it … That’s not a healthy relationship …

Good advice and best course in my experience - no need to burn a bridge, just go to the other side and let the vines grow over.
Leave an opening for repair of the friendship at some point.
Hopefully they'll both be at a place someday where they can clear the bridge and continue with the friendship.

Does he know what his wife said? If not, show him. Since you're not afraid to cut ties, might as well let him see what his wife is doing behind his back. Let them worry about the drama.

It has long been known that as people age they have fewer friends. More recently, psychologists have accurately determined why. Older people naturally understand time is short, (whether they actively think about it or not) and choose to spend their remaining time with the highest value friends, often completely eliminating lesser friends.

There is no question that my list of friends has dwindled to near nothing. My closest friends died or stroked out, I lost 6 friends in the span of 2 years, including my best.

The one remaining old friend turned into a 2 time felon, then morphed into a true communist, and I just can't deal with that. Life has not been fair to my friends, that's for sure, and what's left is not worth keeping.

It has long been known that as people age they have fewer friends. More recently, psychologists have accurately determined why. Older people naturally understand time is short, (whether they actively think about it or not) and choose to spend their remaining time with the highest value friends, often completely eliminating lesser friends.

There is no question that my list of friends has dwindled to near nothing. My closest friends died or stroked out, I lost 6 friends in the span of 2 years, including my best.

The one remaining old friend turned into a 2 time felon, then morphed into a true communist, and I just can't deal with that. Life has not been fair to my friends, that's for sure, and what's left is not worth keeping.
I totally agree with you. It actually is sad.

I say birds of a feather flock together....You want to be successful?....Surround yourself with successful people!

Please read the above multiple times. And then read it again. And then read it again and try to understand it.

Don't let anyone drag you down. This doesn't mean you can't help them. But, if they drag you down too much, you might not reach your full potential. Say your prayers for anyone that can't shake the 'bottle sipping' habit. Move on with your life. Don't hold any grudges, even concerning his &^%$#y wife.

Years ago, I packed up and moved for a career change that I didn't need to take. I removed myself from toxic friendsfamily. Life flourishes without that negative anchor! There is give/take in any friendship but sometimes there is an imbalance, or implied imbalance, that needs to be corrected, whether it exists or not. Move forward with your life.

Social media is causing SOOO many problems these days! I avoid all of those and stay with this forum due to the more civil people that post here.
Good advice above, don't burn your bridges as you separate from the relationship.

I recently lost a very close friend I met in 1971. For some reason his second wife who I knew and socialized with them for 20 years - who I originally liked and she me - turned on me and forbids me from seeing them any longer. She did it with a 15 minute long phone call, one of those I could hear her voice with the phone 12 inches from my head. To this day I don't know what I did. When I asked her all she'd say is "Don't play stupid with me, you know why."

Haven't seen him for 3 years and zero communication. A 50 year friendship down the drain. As time goes on I've become more and more angry about the situation. I've reached the point where if she called me BEGGING me to come back, I wouldn't. If he died tomorrow I wouldn't go to his funeral.

Scott

Last edited:
I generally wouldn’t post something like this but wanted to clear my head.

Got a former friend that has really been my only friend I’ve had in my short 27 years. Same interests as me and we’ve worked together on several big projects (think heavy truck stuff). I used his shop when I needed it and provided my wrecker when it was needed and would come in when I wasn’t busy with 3 other jobs and help keep them caught up. That usually resulted in 18-20 hour days between them and everything else I am doing. Everything was great until his new wife from California came along. Told over Facebook messenger today by her that all I am is a user and never help him when he helps me. I don’t do well at diffusing situations so naturally I made it worse but I was 100% professional. Kill them with the facts type of situation. I expect to have to do it all over again tomorrow in person.

I’ve worked with this family for almost 15 years back into JR High School. Turning my keys in tomorrow after I pick up the remainder of my tools.

For what it’s worth they both have the alcohol monkey on their backs that neither want to try to shake. I have even picked him up from an arrest resulting from a DWI crash where he really messed some people up.
People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Guess it’s up to us to figure out which. His wife is insecure and jealous of your friendship.

This sucks @Creekside it sounds like you’ve been a good friend.

My advice would be he’s not thinking with the right head. I’d give him back the keys and politely express you don’t appreciate how you have been treated and that you’d like your space. If they feel like making amends to let you know. I would personally keep the conversation short and to the point to avoid any emotions and saying something someone regrets later.

Just my $0.02

I generally wouldn’t post something like this but wanted to clear my head.

Got a former friend that has really been my only friend I’ve had in my short 27 years. Same interests as me and we’ve worked together on several big projects (think heavy truck stuff). I used his shop when I needed it and provided my wrecker when it was needed and would come in when I wasn’t busy with 3 other jobs and help keep them caught up. That usually resulted in 18-20 hour days between them and everything else I am doing. Everything was great until his new wife from California came along. Told over Facebook messenger today by her that all I am is a user and never help him when he helps me. I don’t do well at diffusing situations so naturally I made it worse but I was 100% professional. Kill them with the facts type of situation. I expect to have to do it all over again tomorrow in person.

I’ve worked with this family for almost 15 years back into JR High School. Turning my keys in tomorrow after I pick up the remainder of my tools.

For what it’s worth they both have the alcohol monkey on their backs that neither want to try to shake. I have even picked him up from an arrest resulting from a DWI crash where he really messed some people up.
Good riddance. Sometimes we need to give up the things that weigh us down, even when we love those things. You're a strong and smart person.

Back