Cutting steel stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they are, but severe injuries also seem to be prevalent. Again, how much is due to lack of attention/care Im not sure. I saw one come apart and impale someone in the leg. Had it been a face or torso...

Older cut off wheels had NO internal fiber reinforcement and would practically detonate when they would bind.

The newer cut off wheels have some sort of fiber reeinforcent and one can pretty much abuse the living F out of them, though I hear they do not cut as well as the older ones that did not have the safety reinforcement.

Sometimes I also use a router speed controller to slow dowm my angle grinder as not every workpiece needs max rpm.

I've no fear of any cutoff wheel for an angle grinder sold at home depot or harbor fright, though the HF ones do become smaller faster.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You are over thinking this. As I said, I have cut hundreds of pieces of flat bar(as a welder-fabricator) and have never had a cut off wheel break.

I go through 50 wheels (Thin 4-1/2") a week for my job.

If you aren't an idiot, you won't be hurt by one.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: tig1

You are over thinking this. As I said, I have cut hundreds of pieces of flat bar(as a welder-fabricator) and have never had a cut off wheel break.

I go through 50 wheels (Thin 4-1/2") a week for my job.

If you aren't an idiot, you won't be hurt by one.

^^^This! I've spent years in an ASME pressure vessel fab shop with 500+ men on 3 shifts, we bought cut off wheels by the pallet. Sawzalls and hacksaws are for homeowners in the garage who have 15 minutes at a time to cut a bolt. Time is money; in a job shop environment using boxes of wheels on a daily basis, no one ever had a cut off wheel "blow up." Use a proper wheel speed rated for the grinder spinning it. Get'er done.

Come to think of it, in over 30 years experience, I have seen the results of ONE wheel exploding on a young man inside a length of 30" diameter pipe. He was grinding an interior weld flush with an air grinder. He had safety glasses and a full face grinding shield on. The wheel exploded and pieces embedded in his face. He left on a stretcher, never to return. I didn't see it happen; I saw the aftermath. I was with the shop steward who picked the grinder up off the floor, took it to the tool room and chucked it into a vise and put a tachometer on it. The grinder was spinning in excess of 18K rpm and the wheel being used was rated for 12.5K. I think that was in the early 1980's...I only heard rumors; I heard he lost an eye. All I'm sure of is he never came back.

Ask yourself a simple question: In today's world (2017 and liability lawsuits), if a woman can win a suit against McDonald's for serving too hot COFFEE, how long could a grinding wheel manufacturer stay in business if their products exploded and caused permanent injuries to the users? I will be repetitive: If you're using a grinding (or cut off) wheel speed rated for the tool and suited for the material being cut, your fears are unfounded.

That being said, I ALWAYS wear my ANSI Z87.1 Safety Glasses and full face shield when cutting. Don't be stupid.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Harbour freight has some cheap chop saws.

They do. First one caught on fire after a few uses. Second one seems to work fine, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back