Cut open oil filter posts, are they useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have been watching all these cut open filter posts for a few months now and I have a question. Unless there is a horrible tear or missing louvers/holes/ADBV. How can we look at photos of a filter and say, yeah that's a great filter run that sucker 30,000 miles! Or man, that filter is [censored]! I wouldn't take that for free if someone gave it to me!

Lately on BITOG if a cut open filter "looks nice" it's a great filter, run that sucker for ever. If it looks like something else, it's [censored].

So, is there any other way to judge a filter and is qualities or short comings other than internet photos?

Is it possible to ascertain that a filter is good or bad just by looking at photos posted on the internet? Come on people, a Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold could look great in photos but still fail the basic purpose of a filter.

With internet photos, can we tell if the filter media is plugged and used up or still good? I think not.

If you can still see the media, the filter is not "plugged." Assuming your definition of plugged is no more filtration with the bypass working 100%.

I would venture to say most of the filters posted here were used within their intended service life on reasonably maintained vehicles.. none of which had a filter that was even close to being plugged.

Cutting a filter open does tell you how dirty an engine is though. Ideally, there should be little to no carbon chunks in the filter media or can. Finding a few pleats full of sludge tells you that short OCI's are in order for some time.

No I don't think cut and posts are pointless.

I have to be careful about my wording here because somebody here always splits them frog hairs. Lawyers get involved. The oil filter usage police come knocking at my door. I get tied to a chair in a fully lit room. Torn Purolator filters get thrown at me. It's never good.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have been watching all these cut open filter posts for a few months now and I have a question. Unless there is a horrible tear or missing louvers/holes/ADBV. How can we look at photos of a filter and say, yeah that's a great filter run that sucker 30,000 miles! Or man, that filter is [censored]! I wouldn't take that for free if someone gave it to me!

Lately on BITOG if a cut open filter "looks nice" it's a great filter, run that sucker for ever. If it looks like something else, it's [censored].

So, is there any other way to judge a filter and is qualities or short comings other than internet photos?

Is it possible to ascertain that a filter is good or bad just by looking at photos posted on the internet? Come on people, a Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold could look great in photos but still fail the basic purpose of a filter.

With internet photos, can we tell if the filter media is plugged and used up or still good? I think not.

If you can still see the media, the filter is not "plugged." Assuming your definition of plugged is no more filtration with the bypass working 100%.

I would venture to say most of the filters posted here were used within their intended service life on reasonably maintained vehicles.. none of which had a filter that was even close to being plugged.

Cutting a filter open does tell you how dirty an engine is though. Ideally, there should be little to no carbon chunks in the filter media or can. Finding a few pleats full of sludge tells you that short OCI's are in order for some time.

I have to be careful about my wording here because somebody here always splits them frog hairs. Lawyers get involved. The oil filter usage police come knocking at my door. I get tied to a chair in a fully lit room. Torn Purolator filters get thrown at me. It's never good.

I think you’re absolutely correct DLundblad:)

Lots to learn from unknown filters on vehicles for xxxxx miles

No, we don't know how well they are filtering as far as specifics, but cutting them open can give you an idea what the engine is doing.
I cut open some filters on my brother in laws F150.

The first one had a lot of carbon in the pleats (had several codes and other issues that I had to fix).
full-4879-1430-4.jpg

The second one I cut open a few thousand miles later looked better, but still a lot of metal flakes, but less carbon.
full-4879-6932-media_2.jpg

Next one should be in a month or so, so I will see how the engine is doing since it is tuned up and running better.

Now imagine if this was the first filter you cut open on your vehicle, what would you thing:
full-4879-6967-3_1.jpg

(this was one I pulled from the filter waste bin at Advance Auto, so no info about it).

So while I agree many of the filters posted don't show us anything other that a filter that did it's job, there are occasional ones that tell a lot more, either for the individual user or filter, or after time, the entire filter line.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

+1 This is definitely a good way to tell what is going on in the engine and should give an indication as to what the next OCI might be. I think it’s in order to change early when indicated. I like to start with a clean drain pan and decant the used oil to see what junk came out of the sump and had not yet made it to the filter.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
I really enjoy the filter diagnosis threads. If I had to guess, they are probably one of the most popular things on this site.

Peter, you're 100% correct! We can learn A LOT from an oil filter that has been cut open and its internal parts revealed.
I want to give Praise to car51 for C&P a diverse amount of makes, models, and sizes of oil filters. I know that I learn A LOT from his research from the C&P of ALL the filters he comes across.
Keep up the great work car51! Your dedication to what you do for BITOG is GREATLY appreciated!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Peter_480
I really enjoy the filter diagnosis threads. If I had to guess, they are probably one of the most popular things on this site.

Peter, you're 100% correct! We can learn A LOT from an oil filter that has been cut open and its internal parts revealed.
I want to give Praise to car51 for C&P a diverse amount of makes, models, and sizes of oil filters. I know that I learn A LOT from his research from the C&P of ALL the filters he comes across.
Keep up the great work car51! Your dedication to what you do for BITOG is GREATLY appreciated!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Thank You BlueOvalFilter
smile.gif

Glad you and fellows like bbhero and others are here to help me stay sane
smile.gif

Some just like to take things apart. I use microGreen filters. I cut one open. The mystery is gone and i have no need to do it again.

When they don't show a problem or an unusual feature, yes photographs of them are useless clutter. I still like to read about good ones, and see the problem ones.

Seems like a silly thought isn't this what BITOG is all about, if we don't do this what else is there, just shut the site down! Read the words BOB IS THE OIL GUY.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back