Cut open. Allison atf filter 3329539579 Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
cut open my buddys allison atf spin on filter to see the contruction and quality filter. this was the original filter installed at the factory truck had approx 9700 miles when changed.

Very strong thick outer casing.
pleats all look good no tearing or anything.
thickest seal ive ever seen lol

just figured id post this up, not sure if anyone has ever cut one open

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not super-familiar with the Allison setup...

Is that the only filter, or is it a 2nd stage with a first-stage conventional panel filter below the valve body (eg, Chrysler 545RFE / 68RFE)? It looks very free of clutch dust if its the first-stage filter, but it is low miles too.

The RFE setup is funny in many ways, not the least of which being that the canister filter is only accessible through the pan:

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/images/A-T 10.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What did you replace it with?

I'm guessing it's made by Fram/Champion since it has that 4-legged leaf spring.

I'm betting from the 'Champion' side of the family tree, since the bypass valve could have come right out of any Champ-built oil filter (like a Royal Purple). Fram-branded filters use a plastic bypass poppet, and the spring is on the oil inlet side

http://atvillustrated.com/files/vendor.2013.fram_.air-filter.cutaway.JPG

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm not super-familiar with the Allison setup...

Is that the only filter, or is it a 2nd stage with a first-stage conventional panel filter below the valve body (eg, Chrysler 545RFE / 68RFE)? It looks very free of clutch dust if its the first-stage filter, but it is low miles too.

The RFE setup is funny in many ways, not the least of which being that the canister filter is only accessible through the pan:

It has a Sump/Inlet filter, the Spin-On is For Control/Main (Valve Body)....Very similar to the RFE, Except it being accessible without dropping the pan.

That's definitely the Champion Laboratories "clicker" valve on the Allison ATF filter.

Recent Clicker Valve Thread

The 545RFE/68RFE is interesting, my best guess is the spin-on filter inside the sump protects it more from external damage given its location than being outside the sump, and any spin-on filter leaks are captured in the sump.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
That's definitely the Champion Laboratories "clicker" valve on the Allison ATF filter.

The 545RFE/68RFE is interesting, my best guess is the spin-on filter inside the sump protects it more from external damage given its location than being outside the sump, and any spin-on filter leaks are captured in the sump.

Never seen a Allison spin-on get damaged or leak, I'm sure it was packaging restraints with the RFE being multi-platform/multi-configuration.

Interesting. Is 9700 around the normal change interval for these? Do you just change the filter and top it off?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I wish mine had an external filter and a drain plug. it's a pain to drop the pan.

Never seen a Allison spin-on get damaged or leak, I'm sure it was packaging restraints with the RFE being multi-platform/multi-configuration.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I'm no expert on Allison transmissions but I've never seen one leak either. FWIW I've never seen a RFE spin-on filter leak either, have you? I merely noted any such leaks would be captured inside the pan.

Are you familiar with the polymer (non-metal) threaded spindle on the RFE spin-on filter? If not, perhaps that should be considered on damage potential. I have. Pointing straight down, it's not in a spot where it's really protected except for being inside the pan.

I'm no expert on Allison transmissions but I've never seen one leak either. FWIW I've never seen a RFE spin-on filter leak either, have you? I merely noted any such leaks would be captured inside the pan.

Are you familiar with the polymer (non-metal) threaded spindle on the RFE spin-on filter? If not, perhaps that should be considered on damage potential. I have. Pointing straight down, it's not in a spot where it's really protected except for being inside the pan.

I build Transmissions for a living, Very familiar with the RFE series, The Male threads on the filter are plastic....You have a point there! As for it leaking....You wouldn't know it unless it was leaking bad enough to cause issues with shifting or setting low pressure codes....But I have never seen the RFE Control/Main filter cause any issues.

The only thing that that irritates me about the RFE & other select Chrysler units is using Silicone on the Pan....

Originally Posted By: steve20
did you get a chance to run a magnet by the filter debris?

Steve

The Allison 1000 has a round magnet between the filter pad & filter, Catches the metal before it gets to the filter media.

All of that, plus the one that needs changing most often requires dropping the pan anyway. Having it external would tempt people to change it and extract the oil thru the dipstick tube and never bother changing the pickup filter.

I don't think it is. The retaining spring is definitely built like a 'clicker' valve filter, but go back and look at the photos looking UP the center tube of the Allison filter. That's not a clicker, that coil spring and disk in there is a conventional Champion-style poppet bypass valve.

I've actually wanted to see this because one of my clients has several Duramax/Allison vehicles. I keep telling him to change the filters, but he's spooked that some kind of transmission problem will erupt lol.

I now have a 68RFE equipped vehicle and will be doing the filters in it soon, along with Redline C+, and adding a temp sender, of course.

I can see how much of a pain that silicone is going to be. I'll be using Hondabond clone on that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I don't think it is. The retaining spring is definitely built like a 'clicker' valve filter, but go back and look at the photos looking UP the center tube of the Allison filter. That's not a clicker, that coil spring and disk in there is a conventional Champion-style poppet bypass valve.

You're right that it's only used as a leaf spring here and that the filter has a standard poppet and coil spring bypass valve instead of holes in the dome end cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back