Customer declined new belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never ceases to amaze me how worked up people can get about shop markup. Shops mark up their stuff probably the least of most industries, and nobody ever complains about the most serious offenders.

Originally Posted by StevieC

I assume similar could happen in various US states where there is inspection tags?

In Maine if you have hydraulic power steering, its belt is subject to inspection but only fails if it's slipping or presently failed. Potential future failures are something that I would not want a garage to have authority to legally shut me down over.

Fun fact, we don't need front parking lights, but we do need side marker lights. Sometimes they're the same bulb. Sometimes they aren't.

Originally Posted by mattd
Ironically enough you cannot fail a vehicle for bad belt no matter how bad. Some states there are no inspections and others you are not allowed to open the hood or even place the vehicle on a lift.

Technically my dad would fail the vehicle as being unsafe to operate, because if the belt gave out and the vehicle lost power steering it could make it unsafe to operate and cause an accident. It's a bit of a grey area but when your shop business license is on the line and you could be shut down for not erring on the side of caution against the Government you have no choice. Especially when lives are at stake, it makes no sense not to.

That is why I would never go to a shop like your dad's. Not saying that your dad abused his "powers" but if something as subjective as a bad looking serp belt would have my vehicle held hostage, I don't want to deal with a place like that.

Besides, I would ask for specific guidelines to be shown to me what constitutes a safety risk and that would have to be from Transport Canada.
Steering control will not be lost with the loss of power steering function.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I would have told him to watch "Duel" to find out what happens when you decline basic repairs of bad rubber parts.

01.gif

Never ceases to amaze me how worked up people can get about shop markup. Shops mark up their stuff probably the least of most industries, and nobody ever complains about the most serious offenders.

Great great point ^^^^^^^^

And to be perfectly honest in those "Mark ups" is where the place actually pays for rent/lease/note, electric bill, water bill, paying people, paying the govt, paying insurance etc...

I understand if the "book" says it should take 3.5 hours to change the brake pads on all 4 wheels of my car... And yet in reality it takes much less time than that... But I understand that's where margin is at and is needed for all of the above mentioned things that have to be paid for. I'm ok with that.

Where a place like Ken Houtz of my hometown lost me aka got my poed big-time... Was saying $700 to replace a water pump on a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire... And saying much more was supposedly "wrong" with that car... Garbage. All of that was garbage. The gd water pump could be had for $100 and labor should not be more than 2 hrs... aka a $300 repair bill. We actually got it done for only $160 from a friend of my lady's father who did work in the side. And yet magically that car "with so much wrong" with it.... Ran perfectly for the next 6 years with me just doing routine maintenance on it. Until we sold it with 214k miles on it.

In Ontario if the shop is a certified Ministry of Transportation Inspection Facility the shop can remove the plates and condemn the vehicle as being unfit for the road with a belt like that if it were driving the power steering pump and could lead to an accident if it were to fail.

My dad would always try to work with the owners to not pull their plates but on rare occasion would do so if it were something like this and the owner just refused.

I assume similar could happen in various US states where there is inspection tags?

Shops cannot hold cars hostage, no matter what condition they're in.

You realize I'm in Ontario Canada right and our Ministry of Transportation has different laws?

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/maintaining-your-vehicle

It is illegal to drive a vehicle in dangerous condition. But maintaining your vehicle also makes sense from an economic point of view: it can mean better gas mileage and a better price when you sell it. Maintaining your vehicle also helps to protect the environment.

A police officer or Ministry of Transportation inspector can examine your vehicle, its equipment and any trailer attached to it, at any time. If the vehicle is found to be unsafe, it may be taken off the road until the problem is fixed. If you refuse to allow the examination, you can be fined up to $1,000. If the vehicle is then found to be unsafe, your licence plates can be taken away.

The following driver habits and regular maintenance will help keep your vehicle fit and safe.

Located here is the inspection criteria for MTO certified inspection stations (Mechanic shops that do inspections):
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/motor-vehicle-inspection-stations.shtml

Last edited:
That's for commercial vehicles, especially ones with trailers. I have yet to see an officer pull over a light duty vehicle for inspection.

As for the safety inspection when buying a used car, as that's the only time it is required to be done, they have to give you a report, but cannot keep the vehicle hostage and force you to do the repairs with them.
Not sure what you saw your dad practice, but it doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
You realize I'm in Ontario Canada right and our Ministry of Transportation has different laws?

Yes, I was replying to this part of your post:

Originally Posted by bbhero
I understand if the "book" says it should take 3.5 hours to change the brake pads on all 4 wheels of my car... And yet in reality it takes much less time than that... But I understand that's where margin is at and is needed for all of the above mentioned things that have to be paid for. I'm ok with that.

Where a place like Ken Houtz of my hometown lost me aka got my poed big-time... Was saying $700 to replace a water pump on a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire...

These two statements are actually related. If a shop can make good money all day on multiple easy brake jobs, why would they want to tie up a bay for a couple of hours plus on something difficult? Not to mention greater risk on warranty comebacks, etc. They wouldn't, so they overquote you to get rid of you. On the off chance you take it, now they're making the high profit they would on 4 quick brake jobs. I've had a shop owner actually tell me this.

Some shops are honest enough to simply tell you they don't want to do your repair. Around here only hungry shops and overpriced dealers do any major work, and it will be quoted high.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How much did you quote the customer for installing a new one? My old belt had cracks in it. Ordered a Bando off of Rock for $13 or so.

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32. No extra labor as I had to take it off anyway to do other repairs.

That's a steal! I used to live near a mechanic that charged me $30 to drain and fill my manual transmission. He said he couldn't sleep knowing he charged more than $15 in labor to do a 15 minute job. I miss that place! The dealer I go to out here is decent and the indy I take my wife's car to is also decent, but not that decent LOL

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How much did you quote the customer for installing a new one? My old belt had cracks in it. Ordered a Bando off of Rock for $13 or so.

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32. No extra labor as I had to take it off anyway to do other repairs.

That's a steal! I used to live near a mechanic that charged me $30 to drain and fill my manual transmission. He said he couldn't sleep knowing he charged more than $15 in labor to do a 15 minute job. I miss that place! The dealer I go to out here is decent and the indy I take my wife's car to is also decent, but not that decent LOL

I went to a shop that charged me 10 minutes labor to do a manual transmission change. They only did stuff that I requested, and they didn't even look at me funny when I said I liked to do a lot of work myself. However, this was with a 1995 Acura Integra GS-R where the manufacturer's recommendation for the transmission was 10W-30 motor oil, so the fluid cost was for 3 quarts of Castrol GTX.

They were pretty good about only charging for actual labor. If they had multiple jobs at once and it was already on the lift they would only charge incrementally for additional time. I went to another shop (near work) that came well recommended. Until I noticed that they basically charged individual book time even though I knew what they were doing was strung together and they got everything done in well under the times charged.

No harm but I don't think those two examples I made are related at all.... No way... No how....

The stupid dealership in my hometown was trying to imply that the Pontiac Sunfire was "on it's last legs" so it would be a good idea to purchase a new car from those mental midgets..... It clearly was not. Not even close... And those morons were trying to rip a woman... My woman.... Who had brought the car in.

The other example is just how things are and go... Which makes sense to me.... The "book" says it takes such and such long to perform such a service... Many times it is less than that... But that is ok. And I'm ok with that.... That's where margin is made and needed. No one is in business to break even... If you are... You are out of business in no time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
They were pretty good about only charging for actual labor. If they had multiple jobs at once and it was already on the lift they would only charge incrementally for additional time. I went to another shop (near work) that came well recommended. Until I noticed that they basically charged individual book time even though I knew what they were doing was strung together and they got everything done in well under the times charged.

Any shop that charges individual labor rates for work that is already being done, i.e. charging to change the alternator belt on a 4-cylinder Honda on a serpentine belt job, is shady. A nearby shop that I've used for some work didn't charge me to install an alternator belt when the harmonic balancer broke. I had bought the belt before and it was in the trunk so I asked if they could put it on instead of putting the old one back on. They had no problems doing that. I like them....

I'll give you a good example...plumbers.

I own a rental property, sometimes I just can't get there to do a repair, I've been thoroughly burned by plumbers three times.

Once a simple valve needed to be replaced, it was a forty dollar part. Charged me $350.

A valve under the sink was weeping a little, this was maybe a 30 minute job and $30 bucks in parts. Guy charged me $450

A shower valve needed to be replaced. $500.

On two of the three occasions the plumber was local/same town. So no travel expense.

Automotive can be high depending on where you go, unlike other industries the customer usual has time to shop around a bit. When something with your home heat or plumbing goes?? You're screwed. Oh and my central air conditioning broke once...$700 dollars and 40 minutes later I had a new receiver dryer and refrigerant. I picked the wrong industry.

Some customers don't mind maintaining their vehicles, in fact some actually seem to enjoy it. Probably depends on the brand a bit. Some of the higher end car owners almost wear repair bills like a badge of honor. Go to an Audi or Mercedes forum...spending $20,000 on repairs over the course of four years makes these guys giddy! So happy! Oh I spent only 8 grand last year! Such a bargain.

Other costumers think you're trying to take advantage of them. They don't want to be there, they hate their car and they hate you.

That guy didn't want his water pump fixed, he or she hates their car. To tell them they actually needed MORE?? Too much for them to handle. Little do they know, $32 for a serpentine belt INSTALLED is INSANELY good. I'm a tech and if someone told me they'd change my serpentine belt for $32 bucks?? Go ahead and do it...I wouldn't even care if it needed it. How you going to beat $32? You can't even buy a couple of pizzas for that much anymore.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by bbhero

Where a place like Ken Houtz of my hometown lost me aka got my poed big-time... Was saying $700 to replace a water pump on a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire...

These two statements are actually related. If a shop can make good money all day on multiple easy brake jobs, why would they want to tie up a bay for a couple of hours plus on something difficult? Not to mention greater risk on warranty comebacks, etc. They wouldn't, so they overquote you to get rid of you. On the off chance you take it, now they're making the high profit they would on 4 quick brake jobs. I've had a shop owner actually tell me this.

Some shops are honest enough to simply tell you they don't want to do your repair. Around here only hungry shops and overpriced dealers do any major work, and it will be quoted high.

A shop can actually make more money doing major repairs, The problem lies in the staff/mechanics being inexperienced in performing Engine & Transmission repair.

Clinebarger is 100% correct. There is FAR more profit on a major repair than small PM items.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by hatt
Toyota quoted my brother $180 to change the belt in his 4runner.

Why do people continually point out how much shops or dealers charge to do repair work ? Aren't their service bays generally full and busy ? I'll bet they replace a serpentine belt every day for that price too and 90% of customers don't look up the price on RockAuto (or even know what RA is) and watch a YouTube video on how to replace it. Why ? Because they have no desire whatsoever to do that kind of work. Or they don't have tools. Or they don't feel comfortable doing it or even attempting it.

Why is because it's not only a ripoff, it's also potentially fraudulent to charge for more labor than it takes to do the work. There are ways around that like only billing to the half hour or hour, and then there is the dishonesty of charging more for the part than it can be bought anywhere else.

People continually point it out because shops essentially take advantage of the naive and lazy. They perform an important, even vital service for society, but not all repairs should cost a premium. Certainly some belts take a fair amount of work to replace and the bill should reflect that, but when you know better, yeah it is something that should be continually pointed out, that if those people who don't want to DIY want to pay, they aren't the people browsing this forum and reading this topic!

Here's a better question: What's it to you? Why do you want to censor other people? They shouldn't have and express their own thoughts?

The industry standard is to use flat-rate labor guides for determining the labor charges for a specific job. Some jobs take longer than the published labor time, others take less. It is very rare for a shop to charge less than "book time" for a job.

Also, if you go to a restaurant and order a can of coke there is usually a significant markup. The practice is no different with an auto repair establishment.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Toyota quoted my brother $180 to change the belt in his 4runner.

Why do people continually point out how much shops or dealers charge to do repair work ? Aren't their service bays generally full and busy ? I'll bet they replace a serpentine belt every day for that price too and 90% of customers don't look up the price on RockAuto (or even know what RA is) and watch a YouTube video on how to replace it. Why ? Because they have no desire whatsoever to do that kind of work. Or they don't have tools. Or they don't feel comfortable doing it or even attempting it.

Because stealerships will scam you. How are they justifying $150 in labor to change this belt on this vehicle? The vehicle was also already in their shop having some maintenance items performed. It kinda goes along with this thread but I'd bet the OP would be getting beat up a little had he quoted $150 in labor.

A dealership isn't scamming anyone. I can walk into the Service/Parts department at the Toyota dealership (any of them) and see their waiting room slammed and every service writer busy with others. People are LINING UP and WAITING for the DEALERS to work on their cars and perform extremely simple, mundane tasks because they don't want to be bothered with that nasty, dirty, greasy job. Plus, they don't own anything that might resemble anything called a tool, their garage is to park their car in and it is either [censored] and span clean or full of boxes of crap that hasn't seen the light of day in 10+ years.

If you take your vehicle to a service garage, you have a choice of discussing pricing with them. If you feel it's too high, you can go somewhere else or do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back