Cummins to recall 600,000 trucks for emissions cheating

Bad thing is, correcting the emissions issue is likely to make them burn MORE fuel, contributing even more to global warming. Until they find a way to clean up locomotive exhaust, it won’t help my neighborhood anyway.

Bad thing is, correcting the emissions issue is likely to make them burn MORE fuel, contributing even more to global warming. Until they find a way to clean up locomotive exhaust, it won’t help my neighborhood anyway.
They do have a way to clean up locomotive exhaust. Railroads aren't buying them because they're too expensive. You're missing a huge detail though. I moved 11,000 tons of goods today on about 800 gallons of diesel. Split that up between a bunch of semis and they'll burn a lot more fuel than that to go the 230 miles I went for that tonnage.

But yes, blame the locomotives. We should shut them down and see what happens to the economy. We tried to do that by striking, but there was a bunch of backlash from the public stating that we're all overpaid.

You can't cheat on emissions if you don't have any emissions equipment. The best and most elegant solution is to remove all aforementioned equipment.
And watch power and consumption suffer, which may have affected initial sales. I think it's crooked from multiple angles.

They do have a way to clean up locomotive exhaust. Railroads aren't buying them because they're too expensive. You're missing a huge detail though. I moved 11,000 tons of goods today on about 800 gallons of diesel. Split that up between a bunch of semis and they'll burn a lot more fuel than that to go the 230 miles I went for that tonnage.

But yes, blame the locomotives. We should shut them down and see what happens to the economy. We tried to do that by striking, but there was a bunch of backlash from the public stating that we're all overpaid.

Very, very, very true indeed…

Rail is exceptionally better vs 18 wheelers for long haul transport.

And I believe you all should be paid very, very, very well. That’s a very very important and hard job that you all do.

And ships are even more efficient - I just think we ship too much from too far by ocean - and little is said (and they burn funky fuel) …
So really, that single container could ride all 3 modes … then ride several things again once unloaded …
(FedEx tracking is very entertaining) 😵‍💫
Heading to Walmart now for final ride …

Keep making it harder and harder to pass emissions, destroy an industry and unfortunately this is what happens. But hey they'll burn coal and oil to make electricity. Go figure.

Keep making it harder and harder to pass emissions, destroy an industry and unfortunately this is what happens. But hey they'll burn coal and oil to make electricity. Go figure.
I dont think that is the case. With trucking, details, route planning, and planning for variables is key. If they can switch to an alternate fuel source like evs or even hydrogen, that is an industry waiting for the right startup to come along.

That being said, I doubt it will appeal to owner operators, due to the capital and risk investment.

I dont think that is the case. With trucking, details, route planning, and planning for variables is key. If they can switch to an alternate fuel source like evs or even hydrogen, that is an industry waiting for the right startup to come along.

That being said, I doubt it will appeal to owner operators, due to the capital and risk investment.
To clarify I was referring to passenger cars and PU trucks like the RAM using the diesel in the article.

To clarify I was referring to passenger cars and PU trucks like the RAM using the diesel in the article.
True, but i assume some of those HD trucks are used in fleet applications as well. Urban fleet vehicles can be centralized to using alternative fuel sources, while a single handyman might not reap the same benefit from going ev or h2.

True, but i assume some of those HD trucks are used in fleet applications as well. Urban fleet vehicles can be centralized to using alternative fuel sources, while a single handyman might not reap the same benefit from going ev or h2.
I get your point, but VW did it as well. I don't think their cheating had much if anything to do with HD trucks.

Could it be we reached the limit with over-zealous rule makers? Looks like Volkswagen and now Cummins were pushed up against the wall.
Vw also could have just bowed out, and worked on figuring out their software debacle, interior layout mess, or went toe to toe with tesla. Lots of capital and brand image saved.

Yeah it won't make a bit of difference for about 99% of the land area of the US.

You have to wonder how any proposed fix will impact drivability and maintenance in the long run. If Cummins had the ability to meet emissions standards then why wouldn’t they have done so in the first place? Performance and reliability must have played a crucial role.
There can be a small MPG hit and a hit to power. It's really simple. If you can't build a product to meet both emissions and consumer demand, don't build it.

Last edited:
I wonder if it was an actual mistake or Cummins/Ram thinking they could cheat better than VW. VW's cheat was pretty clever though.

The problem is the cleaner burning diesel is less efficient. It sucks to see it, but diesel isn't long for this country. I'd like to say that it killed a lot of the market for VW, but VW technically did it to themselves.
I don't know if Cummins was aware but I imagine with VW DieselGate they knew it was only a matter of time.

There can be a small MPG hit and reduction in power. EGR routes some combustion gases into the combustion chamber which reduces the volume of O2 which reduces NOX formation. IIRC the amount of EGR utilization is much higher than in the past (pre-2009 ish) so it hits MPGs. Of course EGR carries soot and the exhaust gases must be cooled via a cooling circuit so there's a maintenance issue.

The SCR system adds restriction but will scrub the remaining NOX.

Remember 1/3 of the nations GHG emissions comes from the transportation sector of which light duty cars/truck are responsible for the majority of that 1/3. Hence the push for BEV.

Last edited:
Yeah it won't make a bit of difference for about 99% of the land area of the US.
Much less than that being that majority of the land west of the Mississippi River is owned by the USG.
EGR increases CO2 but decreases nitrogen oxides. The nitrogen oxides are the worse of the two from an emissions perspective. Think smog and ground level ozone.

I get your point, but VW did it as well. I don't think their cheating had much if anything to do with HD trucks.
Their cheat was tuning that allowed more power and efficiency at the detriment of emissions. I don't know if that's what their goal was here, but it could be similar. I still find it weird that somehow using more fuel is somehow cleaner.

Back