Cummins to recall 600,000 trucks for emissions cheating

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Interesting. I can't imagine most Diesel Ram owners actually wanting to get this issue "fixed".

Would an owner be legally required to get the recall taken care of, weather they actually wanted to or not? Could California and other states that do emissions testing fail the vehicles for not getting it done?

How did it work with VW? Wasn't that like a voluntary buy-back? If someone chose to keep the vehicle and do nothing, could they, even in places like California?

California will prevent you from renewing your registration if emissions recalls aren't done.

Article doesn't flesh out how the defeat device worked, but VWs knew via ABS wheel sensors if the front of the car was on a treadmill, giving the motor the correct amount of EGR (more), and plugging the intake with soot faster. So VW at least was in the owner's corner, saving on maintenance.

Wow. No matter what you think about emissions standards Cummins was cheating the test. Wonder how many owners will quit the brand like VW owners did?

I'm a little confused here-shouldn't the Ram 2500/3500 pickup emissions be a STELLANTIS problem? It was for the Ecodiesel issues.

Likely more noxious emissions from our solons than the cited engines/vehicles.
1704930364277.png

Wikipedia

Interesting. I can't imagine most Diesel Ram owners actually wanting to get this issue "fixed".

Would an owner be legally required to get the recall taken care of, weather they actually wanted to or not? Could California and other states that do emissions testing fail the vehicles for not getting it done?

How did it work with VW? Wasn't that like a voluntary buy-back? If someone chose to keep the vehicle and do nothing, could they, even in places like California?
Yes, the states can require you to get it done before your registration renewal if they so choose.

so it begs the question, are diesel emissions target unreachable due to cost/profit or due to rd constraints?
Yes.

Seems the goal is to make Diesel vehicles so unappealing and expensive to operate that the only people who will have them is business owners who can pass the operating costs along to the customer.

I think Ford saw the writing on the wall and came out with the gas 7.3 in the SD trucks for that reason.

A financial report today said that Cummins stock dropped 1.5% today. That doesn't seem too, too catastrophic.

$1.6 billion was fine. $400,000,000.00 to effect fixes/buybacks?

If it passes the emissions tests does it really need reflashed?

And are these nox emissions really gonna hurt people worse than making every truck inefficient and unreliable? One would think that with the money saved on def and emissions repairs and the bad fuel economy that comes with active regens one could buy better food or something.

I wonder if it was an actual mistake or Cummins/Ram thinking they could cheat better than VW. VW's cheat was pretty clever though.

The problem is the cleaner burning diesel is less efficient. It sucks to see it, but diesel isn't long for this country. I'd like to say that it killed a lot of the market for VW, but VW technically did it to themselves.

Back