Cruise control works sometimes, sometimes not

The cruise control in my '04 Corolla has started not working occasionally. When it's not working, I will set it at a certain speed, it holds the speed for a few seconds, then the car slows down. Whether it works or not seems to be tied in with the ignition somehow, as when it's not working, the next time I turn of the ignition, and then turn it back on, it works again. I've never had to have a CC repaired on a vehicle before. Do any of you know if this is an expensive repair?

Is there a chance that there is a minor misfire that is tripping it off, but not triggering a code, then remembering the fault until the ignition is cycled?

brake switch? My Focus wagon had the wire insulation into the tailgate crack and some break which actually disabled all my braking lights, and the cruise didn't like that so it wouldn't work at all. When I fixed the broken wires, the brake lights and cruise worked normally. Just doing some basic checks on the components that turn off the cruise is a good start.

I’ve had this happen on our Honda Accord and our Lexus RX300 when the became older, where I’d have to hold the set button until the cruise would catch/engage. Other times the CC would work right away(to my amazement) and other times, not at all. I never did figure it out.

Check brake light operation and scan for body codes
I had an Avalon that had intermittent no start and intermittent cruise engagement that was due to a missing fuse and a bad stop lamp switch

I had a similar problem with a Ford truck. I looked at the service data and checked for any codes that would disable cruise. I used FORScan to watch all of the inputs that could effect cruise.. throttle position, wheel speed sensors, transmission gear selection, trans input and output speed, converter lock up. All of these were correct. There were more items, but I can’t remember all of them. I didn’t find any issues. From knowing what kinds of nasty stuff microprocessors do in industry, I took the truck to the local Ford dealership and had them do a full reload of the ECM. They were doubtful of it correcting the problem, but it did. It was worth $60 to try it and it gave a good result.

The cruse control in the Safari had similar cruise control issues since it was new.
  • Cruse control wouldn't set - intermittent.
  • Cruise control would disengage when driving over a bump - intermittent. Resume function would not re-engage cruise, indicating the cruise thinks it was shut off. Cruise would have to be reset.
  • Cruise would not engage at any speed over 65MPH - intermittent.
To this day, it has never been "right". I suspect an electrical connection issue but never felt compelled to investigate.

My father had a '98 Astro and the cruise control in it, acted the same way as the Safari.

On my Gen Coupe sometimes the cruise will be on but will not set or resume. A quick jab on the brake pedal clears that up till the next time.

Ditto to brake light switch... And to throw this idea out there, I was have having the exact problems as stated in this thread, but never enough for the CC not to work, and worked a majority of the time. it was more of annoyance but livable.. not even thinking of the CC, I came across a listing for a oem kia forte steering wheel control buttons (radio, phone and CC buttons) on the bay for near cents on the dollar so I bought more so as a gamble because the price was very right... I removed the steering wheel and the buttons, replaced them, and gave it a test run... and I was in shock when the "problem" was actually the CC BUTTONS on the steering wheel.

Back