Crown Molding Is Out

I built in 97. Ten years later I had crown moulding installed on the first floor. It was done right and looks amazing. Brought new life to the living area. I love it. Done with real wood and carefully finished and painted by me.

More crying 😂
This is another beauty I see all the time ...what's the problem 🤔🤔

Screenshot_20230924-130510~2.jpg

I've heard wallpaper is OUT.

My personal take is, if a treatment is done right and tastefully applied, you don't go wrong.
However, I feel the biggest pitfall is that there are so many wallpaper designs available that the likelihood of selecting one "everybody likes" is impossible.
Actually wallpaper is making a comeback in a big way .

That area is the master bedroom.
A no no... you put the AC or heat pump elsewhere....
I see this all the time. No common sense

Modern AC condensing units are so quiet you can hardly hear them. Mine is near a kitchen window on the 1st floor, and I have to look out the window to tell if it's running. It's a 2017 Trane XB15.

Modern AC condensing units are so quiet you can hardly hear them. Mine is near a kitchen window on the 1st floor, and I have to look out the window to tell if it's running. It's a 2017 Trane XB15.
I hear everything
I have two 2022 Lennox 18 SEER signature along stucco and block near my family room.
You also hear the electric surge. I have the same Bryant heat pump at another house and it's a 2017 and it's very irritating and I am on the second floor. Different strokes I guess.

You also hear the electric surge.

I can't imagine what that would sound like or what would cause it.

EDIT: A 36kVA transformer and 350mcm service conductors ensure that there's little voltage sag when my 4-ton Trane starts.

I have the same Bryant heat pump at another house and it's a 2017 and it's very irritating and I am on the second floor. Different strokes I guess.

Not sure what you mean by "same Bryant heat pump" but Bryant != Trane. Bryant is a brand of Carrier.

I can't imagine what that would sound like or what would cause it.

EDIT: A 36kVA transformer and 350mcm service conductors ensure that there's little voltage sag when my 4-ton Trane starts.

Not sure what you mean by "same Bryant heat pump" but Bryant != Trane. Bryant is a brand of Carrier.
The Bryant is the same as in the builders picture. That's what I'm saying.

The Bryant is the same as in the builders picture. That's what I'm saying.

It could very well be that Bryant condensing units are noisier than Trane ones.

I can't even hear my Trane unit outside, when I'm around the corner of the house from where it's installed.

It could very well be that Bryant condensing units are noisier than Trane ones.

I can't even hear my Trane unit outside, when I'm around the corner of the house from where it's installed.
In your kitchen you are not sleeping and that is a noisy location. Below or behind a bedroom you would hear it.
Plus it brings up a situation of how good is ones hearing. Not yours but you get it .

I also had two Trane units that the Lennox replaced but they were 2012... but I heard them too and like the others they were quality units. It's simply a sensitivity issue

In your kitchen you are not sleeping and that is a noisy location.

My kitchen isn't noisy.

Below or behind a bedroom you would hear it.

Not anymore than in my kitchen.

Plus it brings up a situation of how good is ones hearing. Not yours but you get it .

You won't heat the noise of the condensing unit over the indoor furnace/air handler fan in my house and, I'd expect, most houses. My house has pretty quiet ductwork compared to most, so I'd expect that in other houses with less "adequate" ductwork there'd be even more indoor fan noise to drown out the noise from the condensing unit.

I also had two Trane units that the Lennox replaced but they were 2012... but I heard them too and like the others they were quality units. It's simply a sensitivity issue

I can't say that a 2012 Trane condensing unit is the same as a 2017 with respect to noise. I can say it's much quieter than a 1994 York condensing unit.

The XR is a updated unit compared to the XB..
70db is the sound of a vacuum which I would hear outside of my bedroom. Just me I suppose..

Having used several different vacuums of varying types and manufacture in my life....I can assure you that my Trane condensing unit is NOT that loud.

In the old days they would run moulding from one wall to the other, no 45 degree miter. Then the finish carpenter with a hand jigsaw would cut the moulding to run at 90 degrees to fit around the other piece of moulding. If there is any movement no gaps show.

In the old days they would run moulding from one wall to the other, no 45 degree miter. Then the finish carpenter with a hand jigsaw would cut the moulding to run at 90 degrees to fit around the other piece of moulding. If there is any movement no gaps show.

The hand jigsaw is called a coping saw.

I helped an older buddy put crown in his house 4 years ago. He'd been a trim guy for a couple of decades and knew his stuff, but I really don't think he got his investment back when he sold it. He was convinced that crown was going to add 10k to his selling price and it really didn't after materials. My little mass produced house with it's sloping ceilings, forget about it.

Speaking of noise, the dishwasher I put in last year was a game changer. It wasn't even that expensive but you have to be right in the kitchen to hear it running.

Back