Crown Molding Is Out

Long Live the Avocado Refrigerator! (jk)
Also remember that cove/crown molding requires sufficient height.
Also never forget: "High work isn't eye work".
I utilized the aforementioned cheap, foam crown molding and 'other tricks', to mask cracks on a used, relocated double wide trailer a pal had installed on a pad.

Besides the obvious wall-to-ceiling gaps, the walls cracked where they wanted to. I used 1.25" wide strips of wood to mask cracks in the walls. I SWEAR the effected walls cracked at a regular pace such that the vertical strips looked even. Luck favors the BITOGer.

Long Live the Avocado Refrigerator! (jk)
Also remember that cove/crown molding requires sufficient height.
Also never forget: "High work isn't eye work".
I utilized the aforementioned cheap, foam crown molding and 'other tricks', to mask cracks on a used, relocated double wide trailer a pal had installed on a pad.

Besides the obvious wall-to-ceiling gaps, the walls cracked where they wanted to. I used 1.25" wide strips of wood to mask cracks in the walls. I SWEAR the effected walls cracked at a regular pace such that the vertical strips looked even. Luck favors the BITOGer.
My mom's house still has an avocado fridge upstairs.
I like to use large crown molding so it serves as a chair rail too 😁

I watched a few builder videos and they claim it is so 90s and it can cost over $5k on a smaller house.
I know companies here that specialize only in crown molding.
I think it depends on where you live. May not be hot in Florida but it isn't history.

Builders probably don't have enough finish carpenters to install it.
Even on a small house these days $5k is little more than a rounding error.

The trend here in the northeast is no natural wood look cabinets. White is in.
All realtors are running with this trend...

Ehhh. I had some horribly dark stained cabinets in my house now. Oil primed and painted a nice lighter gray hue. Yea, gray is over-done now aday's, but I like grays, blues, and greens... 😏

The trend here in the northeast is no natural wood look cabinets. White is in.
All realtors are running with this trend...

That white cabinet trend was around in the early 80s. Practically every low-end townhouse in Northern VA built around that time had them.

That white cabinet trend was around in the early 80s. Practically every low-end townhouse in Northern VA built around that time had them.
I just sold a house with a top grade natural wood cabinets and I didn't use a realtor. No way am I painting wood cabinets white just because it is a trend. Let the buyer do what they want to do. That's stupid especially if an amateur paints cabinets.
I can see an amateur slapping white ceiling paint on them because they got a deal . Yikes

Watching YouTube now on Florida builders. The new buzz word is "Luxury Finishes"

I'm no snob but what I am seeing is a higher grade of low grade finishes...

Here in FL it's more common to see popcorn ceilings!
Mine has sparkles!
Who needs crown molding when you've got that!

Popcorn hides a LOT of shoddy ceiling finishes. :cautious:
It sure does, and if they blow it on thick enough many times all the tape and spackle guys do is just tape the ceiling, or tape and one coat of mud and call it good.

Pick 'em up by....8 and drop 'em off by....? Or do they have their own cars?
I have never used them, but I suspect contractors have for roofing, painting, etc. I see their company trucks drive through and pick up 3-4.
I would guess they work as long as needed. Pay? I have no idea. Maybe $20/hr?

I have never used them, but I suspect contractors have for roofing, painting, etc. I see their company trucks drive through and pick up 3-4.
I would guess they work as long as needed. Pay? I have no idea. Maybe $20/hr?

Even in the N.East, most of the bigger company roofing crews are non-English speaking these days. I have no issue with this other than the fact so few of our young people are interested in trades work these days.

We had an icemaker line break when we were on a trip for 10 days. Water company said 4000 gallons were used and did not charge me. When they drywall finisher came he wanted to hide the edges of his work with crown molding. My wife told him in no uncertain words "NO" He finished the work and it looks great. Without being sealed its a hiding place for bugs and spiders. We were out of our home for 5 months.

Back