Crown Molding Is Out

Crown Molding Is Out​

grumpy_cat_good.gif

I just sold a house with a top grade natural wood cabinets and I didn't use a realtor. No way am I painting wood cabinets white just because it is a trend. Let the buyer do what they want to do. That's stupid especially if an amateur paints cabinets.
I can see an amateur slapping white ceiling paint on them because they got a deal . Yikes

If I saw a house where they painted the wood cabinets white, I would assume that there was something wrong with them that they were trying to cover up.

I like crown molding, but it needs to be in the right kind of house. It doesn’t work so well for modern/mid century modern houses. Crown is great for my mom’s 1877 farmhouse. I have a 1980’s ranch, so anything goes. I’ve done crown molding in parts of my house, as well as hers. It’s not that hard if you have some skills. For corners, I either bought the specially-made pieces for the corners or made my own from pieces of 4x4” post that I cut at a bevel on the two sides that show.

Crown Molding Is Out​

View attachment 180554

It had its place but a lot of construction installed it because it was a recent fad that somehow signified luxury.

Our old family home has crown molding. The house was built in 1928. The walls and ceilings are plaster and the ceilings are coved. Crown molding creates the transition. That crown molding is solid mahogany as are the doors and casings. Even for a simple middle class house a lot of pride is evident. Finish carpenters took pride in their work. All this was done by hand, no power tools back then for those tasks. All that molding and all the finish work for that matter fits together perfectly. These days a lot of filler is used to fix imperfections. In those days they made nail head filling from sawdust from the same wood. You cannot see where the nails are. Everything is varnished, not painted.

My neighbor did crown molding and made good money doing it. He showed me how it is done and a great job is quite the combination math and art.

Its personal taste. I like "clean walls and ceilings but in some homes, depending on decorating and size crown moldings look awesome.
Just not for me. Maybe because when I was growing up ALL homes had molding of some sort where walls meet ceilings and as a bunch of young people and friends, the first thing we would do when any of us bought a home was rip the stuff out. Just was so old school at the time.
It's a style for sure, different looks, different tastes. Decorating trends come and go. Life is rough in the USA deciding what to get *LOL*

Back